1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I'm no longer a Calvinist:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'll refer you back to the unanswered posts regarding Romans 1 in the other thread as my rebuttal...

The problem with you exegisis is that you stopped too soon. The "rest" who are hardened continued to be discussed in the following verses revealing that they are NOT necessarly destined to hell as your interpretation presumes. They might be provoked to envy and saved. They could "leave their unbelief" and be "grafted back into the vine." Those those "hardened" here, just as those "given over" in Romans 1 are not necessarily the non-elect who are destined to hell. All men (both Jew and Gentile) are bound over to disobedience so that God might show mercy to them ALL. An individual being "hardened" doesn't equal destined to hell, and an individual being "show mercy" doesn't equal being destined to heaven.

2. Skandelon

Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

Are you sure?

And orthodoxy is defined how and by whom?

And most believers in that freedom have rejected your form of it, so what's your point?

Why? Could I have chosen otherwise than what He decreed that I should believe?

As have you, but if I'm wrong and your right all is only done as God has determined it to be. If you are wrong, however, you really will be responsible (response-able) for your false teaching.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Romans 1 indeed. BTW if you recall Paul builds this idea till he gets to Romans 3...ALL MEN.

So we have Romans 1-3...ALL OF MANKIND.
    Eph 4....ALL OF MANKIND.
    Eph 2.....ALL OF MANKIND.
    Romans 11....ALL OF MANKIND.

What do you think Paul is saying? Part of mankind?

Not at all. I understand you want to look at other verses later in the chapter. We will indeed get to those as well. But please know the verses just before the ones you want to point out, are in full context. This helps give meaning to what Paul says later. right?

No one said they were destined to Hell. Let me remind you why I statred posting on this tread. We are talking about if God is in control even to the point of hardening mans heart. Also, you seem to think that The Jews were not hardened (for the most part by God) in the OT and other others were, and then it changes in the NT. I have shown this to be in error.

So when Paul says...the rest were hardened.....
    7What then? What Israel doth seek after, this it did not obtain, and the chosen did obtain, and the rest were hardened,

Are you saying Paul is holding out on us? There were some that are ELECT.....and the REST were HARDENED....and he forgot about the 3rd group???

#63 Jarthur001, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, frauds are better judges of integrity than honest men, and the children of mammon are wiser in their generation than the children of light.

But . . .

Your words are there for all to see and my judgment of them. Now which of us has been known to engage in disingenuous dialogue just to "make a point?" (I'll remind you of your FAITH thread.)

And you pompously assert your integrity? :laugh:

5. Skandelon

Again, I refer you back to the unanswered post where I quote from MacArthur and other Calvinistic commentators who also make the distinction between all of mankind and those who believe (whether made to believe through effectual means or not, the distinction IS made).

I'm not in ANY WAY negating the verses you already presented. I agree that there are a group of Jews who have been reserved from the hardening process (men like Paul) who if not for the direct intervention of Jesus on the road would have clearly remained in his rebellious/hardened condition. God specifically hand picked Paul...not because he deserved it or will it...in fact its clear his will was to kill Christians. We agree on this point ( I think). The REST of the Jews (Pharisees who along with Saul stoned Stephen), remained hardened and rebellious. Why?

1. In their rebellion they kill Christ bringing redemption.
    2. In their rebellion they leave room for the Gentiles to come into the church
    3. In their rebellion and allowing the Gentiles to come it give them opportunity to experience God and have their lives changed which in turn might provoke the hardened Jews with envy as they see the change in the Gentiles lives.

So, in Romans 9 when Paul says God can hardened who He wants and show mercy to who He wants, you don't believe he is talking about the non-elect and elect? Please explain?

Let me clarify. There is a difference between "self-hardening" and "judicial hardening." Self hardening is when the individual simply chooses to ignore the obvious truth and rebel. Judicial hardening is a direct act of God to blind men from the truth so that the truth can't change their will.

As the illustration about the cop explains. The speeder is self hardened because he decided to speed on his own. No one made him want to speed. He freely chose that. The cop hides his presence (judicial hardening) so that the speeder will keep doing what his heart has already determined to do. The cop is not culpable for the speeders crime, but he is only hiding the truth of his presence so as to ensure that the speeder will keep doing what he has already determined in his heart to do. Make sense?

So, I am NOT denying that God has actively blinded the majority of Israel in their rebellion. I believe that whole heartedly. I just don't believe that is an act of certain condemnation to hell, but its actually an act of mercy for the reasons explained above.

The third group is the Gentiles who he addresses in the following verses, as I pointed out. So, there is Israel (the lump of clay) most of which has been hardened and used for common use, but some from Israel have been chosen for noble purposes (to take the message to the world...even the Gentiles). One lump (Israel) molded by God for two purposes. But even those of Israel who are hardened could leave their unbelief and be saved. That is Paul's point.

#65 Skandelon, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  6. Skandelon

I'll let the readers decide if it is more disingenuous to quote Calvin without giving him credit until the end of the thread, or to resort to personal attack, not deal objectively with the content of another's posts, and remain so uninformed about the historical aspects of the scholarship surrounding this discussion that one doesn't even recognize the distinctions between what they should and should not be affirming.