1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I'm thankful God convicted about Rock'nRoll

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by lilrabbi, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rebellion has been here on earth ever since Adam. You had the "heathen" that verse referred to, and even the Israelites suffered from it themselves. And no, Anglo-American society had not reversed this, with it resurfacing again only in the 1960's or whatever. So no, rebellion did not "win out" then; it has been the prevailing reality in the earth until Christ returns.

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The most popular example of that beat is the Mission Impossible theme.
    As for Christian music, there is the ancient hymn "Of the Father's Love Begotten" (some hymnals may not even bother to sign it as such, but I saw one that did have the 5/4 signature).
    I can't really read music that much, but learned about the notation, and tried to figure what it would sound like (the church I was in never used it); and from what I gathered, the melody of each measure is like "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce", with the two syllables of "lettuce" stretched so that they each are one quarter note, instead of eighth notes like the other words. (i.e the first syllable is the entire fourth beat, while the second syllable is the fifth beat. Larry mentioned 7/4; the most common example of that is Pink Floyd's "Money". These are called "asymmetric beats", and I read that they were common in midestern cultures. (they even have 13/8 and stuff like that. Wikipedia has a list of all the different time signatures and tuness that use them.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

"Of the Father's Love Begotten" <--we've done that song several times. (2 different arrangements...one we put together ourselves; the other was in a youth musical called "Lift Your Name on High." It was a fabulous arrangement!)

Technically, since it's a 4th-century plainsong, it doesn't even have a time sig.

But modern arrangements, of course, add one.

Now THAT song is "old school!"