1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured why Is Being a Literal translation seen as being "wooden/bad?"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DaChaser1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Can anyone explain to me the real need for so many translations?

The only need I see is to water down the truth so more people will fill the pews.

John

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow - What a way to come up with an evil intent for those looking to bring a faithful translation of the Word of God to the people.

Instead, I do believe that it is instead those who seek to put the best translation - the most faithful AND the most readable into the hands of believers. That is a very difficult job to have both. I don't think any one version is perfect on both fronts so translators continue to try to achieve that goal.

3. seekingthetruth

Or? translators continue to want to make more money.

John

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, I really don't think that is it. I personally don't believe that is the driving force behind these scholars' decision to work faithfully for years and years on translating. John of Japan here on BB is one example and from reading his posts, I really wouldn't put money as one of his motivators.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive thought that also....lol. maybe it is just to appeal to a wide variety of readers. Like when I 1st started, I could have never read & understood King Jim....I still have trouble with it (All the thee's & thou's) I started with NIV & then later graduated to New King Jim but I carry around my old beat up NIV....guess I use both depending on my mood. Both were bought at the Walmart BTW....:laugh:

6. seekingthetruth

Oh no, John is translating other languages to spread the gospel.:thumbsup: Bless john for what he is doing.

But all of these American/English translations are not needed, except for profit.

John

7. seekingthetruth

hey, you know what?, whatever gets a person saved is a good thing. I think the real problem with MV's is in discipleship. There are too many differences in what christians should believe in and how they sould live for all to be accurate.

Have you ever seen "The Message"? IMHO, that translation is straight from the pits of Hell, and all of the other MV"s paved the way for that to be published.

John

8. seekingthetruth

What I like about King Jim is that even though Jim had evil intentions, God used his evil intentions for the good of the gospel.:thumbsup:

John

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See? Yet I know someone who was saved through The Message. ;)

10. seekingthetruth

Well, I hope that now that they are saved that they switch....:smilewinkgrin:

But praise the Lord that they are saved.

John

11. seekingthetruth

My wife works at Walmart, your purchases certainly increase her profit sharing account.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Me and my family appreciate it

John

#31 seekingthetruth, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are words in Greek and Hebrew that cannot be literally translated without loosing meaning. For instance English has no literal word for agape. Sure it is translated 'love' but it looses meaning as it does not say what kind of love. In Greek there were threewords that must be translated as 'love', but meaning is lost.

This is true for all languages. The Chinese word 'quanshi' cannot be translated into one English word. It would take several sentences to get close to the meaning of that word.

In English the word 'welcome' as in You are welcome cannot be translated into most languages with just one word in that language. For instance, in Chinese the closest is a phrase they use which goes, "Don't be polite." There is no word equal to welcome in You are welcome.

I am sure there are those on the board who have taken Greek and Hebrew who can give better examples of words that cannot be translated as one word in English.

13. seekingthetruth

I agree with you, but, do we need 547 English translations that contadict each other to get it right? Doesnt that just cause more confusion?

John

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think they contradict each other as much as sometimes they just say things sometimes a little differently. As I've studied translations, it's been really interesting to see why some things are chosen and why one might choose one way of saying something when another translating committee might choose another way. Honestly, we don't have THAT many different translations - and in many cases, they say almost the same thing in 99% of the text. I can follow along in my Bible when someone reads in another version without a problem. It doesn't cause an issue for me and I know even in our little church, we must have any number of versions and even down to the kids, it doesn't cause any confusion. If there was ever a question, it's easy enough to ask and have an answer, IMO. :)

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to help....I buy my socks there too :tongue3:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Socks and Bibles. Next you'll tell me you buy your Cheerios there too!!

17. seekingthetruth

Everything I have almost comes from Walmart (got that 10% emplyee discount card ya know?")...except for my furniture. I refuse to buy a couch in a box that says "assembly required"...uhhhggggg

john

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I admit I never shop at Walmart. We got one and I was all sorts of excited - but then I went there and wasn't that impressed. It's pretty far for me to go anyway and I guess it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I like Target for a lot of my stuff and my grocery store is only a couple of minutes from me when Walmart is a good 25 minutes away. So I pretty much never go there. I know so many others who swear by it though! :)

19. seekingthetruth

I hate Walmart, but alas, my wife works there, and I cant stay away.

It's like the "force" draws me

John

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So, you're saying you're "effectually drawn" to Wally-world? Come out, you closet Calvinist.....