1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is God letting us get so smart?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why isn't the electric company, or the local flower shop, or the place I get my shoes shined, or the attendant at the local gas station, preaching that man is on a straightfoward path to becoming God? It's not their job.
    I don't recall any such promises made by science. Editorials who write about science, indeed, but by science? Never. Besides, who wants eternal youth and immortality anyway? Certainyl not me. I wouldn't mind an improved quality of life, and on that, it apprears that advancements in science and technology have adequatrely delivered on that.
    Again, it appreas that this is comment from those who comment on science, but not from science itself.

2. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Man may have advanced in many ways but he still has two basic problems - sin and death, and Christ is the only answer.

Kind regards to all.

Bob

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree. Technological advancement doesn't equate to being "smaterer" or "more knowlegeabe". It is what it is: techonolgical advancement. If we were to take a person from 2000 years ago and brought them into today's time, they would eventually adapt to today's technology and eventually fit in like everyone else, proving that people of 2000 years ago are just as smart as people today. </font>[/QUOTE]Then explain why there weren't airplanes 2000 years ago. You can't have "technological advancement" without knowledge.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We have airplanes today because we have built upon the experience of previous generations. Building upon the experience and discoveries of previous generations does not make one smarter.

5. larry9179

larry9179 New Member

I don't believe we're getting smarter at all. We may be more educated, but that's not indicative of wisdom.

The people who built the tower of Babel thought they were smart too, yet we know that it would have been impossibe to build a tower that could reach into space, let alone reach into Heaven. What we consider intelligence now is no closer to the truth than it was back then. God will let us go just so far and then He will snatch us back to reality.

My pastor readily says that the more he learns, the more questions he has. We don't need all the answers because we don't even know what questions to ask. If we need all the answers, then we don't have faith.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Ulsterman nailed it with Daniel 12:4. Let's look at the TRAVEL aspect of the prophecy. It's commonplace for a businessman or sales rep to begin his workday in Los Angeles, be in Tokyo by noon, and finish his day in London.

7. mnw

mnw New Member

I have little doubt that the average individual now has more knowledge than those a couple of hundred years ago. Perhaps there is less wisdom around, but that is different.

It may be knowledge of a different kind, but it has increased. It may be just building on those that came before us, but it is still building.

Michael Faraday discovered electric but he did not have the breadth of knowledge we have now to realise its implications.

Has it increased to the point where we will out grow or threaten God? No. It never will happen.

The quote from Daniel 12 and the illustration of Babel I think are very useful.

MNW

8. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Originally posted by webdog:
    It's just part of prophecy being fulfilled. To think that up until a hundred years or so we got around on horses, the spike in intelligence has increased dramatically.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Johnv:
    "I disagree. Technological advancement doesn't equate to being "smaterer" or "more knowlegeabe". It is what it is: techonolgical advancement. If we were to take a person from 2000 years ago and brought them into today's time, they would eventually adapt to today's technology and eventually fit in like everyone else, proving that people of 2000 years ago are just as smart as people today."
    Here is another verse to refute your theory Johnv, 2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

9. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

That's what I think, we're not any smarter. You can see it, if you're old enough, by looking a generation or two back at the children as they are coming up through school. Knowledge has been increasing at breakneck rates for the past 50-60 years. The children of today SEEM much smarter, but they're just standing on the shoulders of accumulated knowledge.

Hardly reason to worship our own intelligence as is so widespread in schools, the academic communities, and the culture at large. We do well if we keep our perspective balanced with the reality of creation.

And you couldn't be more right-on about wisdom, it's often considered old-fashioned foolishness, anymore. Today's culture is as void of wisdom as today's church is void of discernment.

10. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can buy robot lawn mowers. And if you have a circular lawn, you can put a stake in the centre, tie a cord to that and the other end to a suitable place on your mower, Start it, fix the controls with something like velcro, and let it go, Not recommended for corded electric mowers.Should work with battery ones though.

Of course that is no good if you have a square lawn unless you want a wildlife area in each corner. Otherwise you an resort to a robot mower.

I have a robot Vacuum Cleaner.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread is almost 12 years old and is now closed. :Alien

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.