1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why is hell so terrible?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Nov 16, 2004.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Hell is not only darkness and separation.
    Hell is also pure suffering! Just think of the rich man and Lazarus.
    He said he was tormented in flames. The lake of fire will also consist of fire, why shouldn't it?
    This is one thing I don't understand. Why do people have to suffer like this? Does God want it to be this way? Is God angry at all the unsaved and then he thinks to himself: Well, now they shall burn ha ha!
    I don't understand this. :(
    When I think of such things I realize how little I know God. :confused:
    God feels like a stranger when you think about this. Like somebody you don't really know. :(
    Is God angry at those which go to hell?

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

You continously question God as if to undermine Him in a way that seems to me to have other motives. If I'm mistaking, I apologize.

3. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

which motives?
    I dont do this on purpose!
    I simply get these questions and then I have to deal with them otherwise I dont get rid of them!
    I am only searching for answers and solutions!
    I dont even want to think negative of God. :(
    It makes me feel bad. :(
    But what shall I do? Simply try to forget these questions or never talk about them? This doesnt help me.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

do you think God is angry at me now? :(
    I really dont want to think negative of God.
    but often I am confronted with questions which I cannot really answer and then I feel so clumsy.

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

If you're searching for answers and solutions, get your heart and mind in prayer and study. The constant questioning of God's character and motives is beginning to sound much like "yea, hath God said?"

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yu're not mistaken. This is Jimbo's mode of operation. He enjoys being in a state of doubt instead of a state of faith. He's been called on this by folks in the bb several times, and refuses to change.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Hell is so horrible because sin is such an offense to God. Eternal punishment in hell is the only just response of God to man's sin.

This is not a question that you can't answer. It is easily answered by understanding what God has revealed. You need to accept the revelation of God in Scripture.

8. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Jimbo Jones,

I think you are afraid to let go of your old life!!

Mark 8-33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.
    34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
    35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
    36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

You are way to worried about yourself! I don't WANT to be killed by terrorists, but that's up to God.

The worst thing that can happen is, that I will be killed, and then the next thing I know, I'm with Jesus!! How bad can that be??

The above scripture says"Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.".

You are afraid to let go and let God take over your life.

Mark 8-36 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Stop playing around with all the whys and what ifs and committ your life to Jesus, no matter what.

That is the only way you will have peace. Rest in Him, and then he will begin to give you the answers you seek.

Working for Jesus,

Tam

9. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Yu're not mistaken. This is Jimbo's mode of operation. He enjoys being in a state of doubt instead of a state of faith. He's been called on this by folks in the bb several times, and refuses to change. </font>[/QUOTE]This is not fair!
    You say I do this on purpose which is not the case! You dont even know me well enough to judge me! :rolleyes:
    I do not enjoy this! :mad:

10. music4Him

music4Him New Member

~Jimbo, (I hope I say this right) but you also have to realize the people that go to hell have rejected God and the truth. I could only imagine how much it hurts the Lord when even one person that He created ends up there. But everyone is given the choice as to what they beleive... [​IMG]

Music4Him

11. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Does this mean the suffering in hell is God's revenge?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In a sense, God doesn't send people to Hell. We send ourselves there by rejecting God. I can't find any scripture that says God rejoices by people in Hell, or that Hell is God's revenge. On the contrary. It appears to me from scripture overall that God is saddenned whenever a person is hellbound.

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. God always describes hell as a horrible fate - as a terrible punishment for the wicked, for Satan for Satan's angels etc.

#2. God loved all of us so much that He gave His only Son so that nobody needs to go to hell - they have a savior and can choose fellowship with God instead of hell. God offers this at infinite cost to himself.

#3. Hell is not natural - it is manufactured - created, by God to punish the wicked. The lake of fire you mentioned is in fact - hell itself.

#4. Hell destroys according to the rule of Matt 10 and Luke 12:41-48. Those who new much and refused salvation receive more torment. But in the end as Matt 10 states BOTH body and soul are DESTROYED in the fires of hell.

The punishment is required by the Law of God. It only BENEFITS God in that as God's people VIEW this punishment it becomes a forever fact given to the saints and angels that the Law of God is real - and the penalty it describes for each sin is real - not just a bluff.

This is the penalty Christ REALLY paid in full for each of us. The penalty that WE need not pay if we simply accept salvation FROM the second death.

In Christ,

Bob

14. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

This is what I was looking for!
    I didn't really understand why there has to be a hell.
    Does this mean even if God wanted to take the unsaved to paradise he could not do it cause this would mean he harmed his own law? Is this something God couldn't do even if he wanted to? :confused:

15. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Jimbo/Fredric
    If I may suggest this....you might benefit if you print out some of these answers and read them when satan attacks you with doubts and fears. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Thumbs up to Bob and Johnv for their answers. [​IMG]

~God Bless~
    Music4Him :D

16. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Not a bad idea. I will save this thread on my hard drive. [​IMG]
    The thing is that I do not have a good memory! This is why I often ask the same questions again and again cause I forget the answers after a while. :(

17. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

18. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Thanks, I'll check it out!

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, suffering in hell has nothing to do with revenge. It is justice that is at stake.

God is not harmed or limited by his law. He always acts in perfect accordance with his nature. His holy nature of justice demands a just penalty for sin. Hell is that just penalty. God does not want to break that nature. In deed, if he did want to break it, he would not longer be God.

20. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Interesting thoughts...