1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is Honest Dialogue/Debate Elusive in the Cal/Arm Section?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Jan 9, 2017.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me my faith comes from God's word. I believe every word of scripture is the direct authority from God. The Bible instructs us all in the direction in which we should serve Him. God Him self dictated it in such a way that scripture interprets it's self. The problems in my opinion occurs when men interprets it differently. Looking for some elusive hidden meaning that just isn't there one sentence at a time. In other words building doctrines from passages taken out of text. Politicians love to take a sentence or two from what there opponents have to say in order to make it say something entirely different. Many men do this with out even thinking. Some do it on purpose to deceive others doing the works of Satan.

It is most difficult to convince someone they are deceived. Deception isn't just people trying to deceive others but men reading God;s word with out the guidance from the Holy Spirit. Praying for guidance from the Holy Spirit and reading everything in context. With out presuppose ideas of what it saying is the only way to arrive at the truth

In my opinion all other books about our Lord have no authority as does God's word.
    MB

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible is our only authority, but some understand it doctrines and practices better than others!

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Sometimes people elevate their understanding of how God accomplished salvation over that salvation he accomplished. Not only that, but sometimes people deny what may not suit that understanding. An example is Judas, who was predestined to betray Christ but who also did of his own accord. Some will accept one truth but deny the other.

But in terms of this thread (residing in the Cal/Arm section) much of your reply doesn't apply. Different interpretations and understandings do not mean that people on either side were deceived. Since God has used men of both camps (and men of neither) to his glory and people are saved by the one Gospel preached by both, it may not be a God given task to convince others you are right.

#23 JonC, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon stated this very wil, as he emphasised that God is fully sovereign in saving sinners, and yet all will be accountible for rejecting Christ, he ddi not dully understand how to reconcile, but embraced both truths!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RM, in your post #17 you cite R.C. Sproul Jr.? Why? He isn't a Particular Baptist. Again, you are being neither fair nor honest.

#25 Rippon, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RM, in your post #18 you give some quotes from a Calvinistic Baptist --John Piper. But in the quotes he says nothing about God being the Author of evil.

You still have not backed up your charge that some Particular Baptists hold to the doctrine that God is the Author of evil.

You are not being fair and honest, while saying that you are. You are being very unbalanced. Don't make wild accusations without offering documentation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sproul Jr. is Presbyterian, not Baptist of any stripe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true...

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only ones ta I am aware of would be some Hyper cals...

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you claiming that you understand it better than my self.
    MB

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my commntwas more directed towards those who have totally messed up theBible, those wo claim to have theGospel but do not, lik RC/WOF etc!