1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it always one sided?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Phillipians121, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you care to even read what the point was? I believe it was done with good intentions.

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

BTW, if you were referring to white students not being able to join a Black Student Union, I already addressed that in my posts. They can, but most choose not to. when you are only a small minority of the population it is not racist to have "special interest groups" like the BSU or BET or Miss BLack USA. It is a small minority of the US population coming together over common interests. Please tell me how you can even claim that the majority of white people can band together over a common interest? You can't the population is too large and diverse for a common interest to run through the majority of the community.

3. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Have you bothered to read my posts? I clearly stated why I don't see a problem with it.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have read your posts, and agree for the most part. The problem I had is the "white republicans" comment. That doesn't play into why the scholarship was started at all.

5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

You're right it doesn't. It was a snide remark. I brought it up because I was thinking of the multiple threads I have seen on the BB in the past complaining about the black community not realizing that Republicans have "their" best interests at heart, not the Democrats. Of course, I don't necessarily believe either party has the bests interests of the black community, or any other community at heart, but that is another matter entirely.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody can learn how to be a musician and apply to a music scholarship. White folks can't learn how to be black. Big difference.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

A brief data search reveals that I was wrong and you are correct. I was just having a casual conversation with the lawyer. He may have been guessing while making casual conversation.

Someone told me that when it comes to lawyers, you only get what you pay for.

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:rolleyes: Some people will never get it. This is getting pointless. If you can't see the difference for yourself no one else will be able to point it out to you. :tear:

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I tell you what, when I open my restaurant, I'll just make the jobs available to only "young white males". Only 100% caucasion men younger than 30 can even apply. That should narrow it down. See? It just gets worse, I'd have all kinds of special interest groups after my hide.

But yeah, it's the same thing with women. There are scholarships specifically for women that men can't get, yet people would get bent out of shape if there was a "male only" scholarship. If an employer can't find suitable female workers and they hire only men, they'd get in trouble, yet nobody thinks anything at all about it going the other way.

10. Phillipians121

Phillipians121 New Member

It is a fact that most blacks have a victim mentality, even if it is small as my lady friend who questioned the motives of the waitress at the counter when we ordered lunch and she was offended that her ID was required. Or my white friends black husband who got pulled over for speeding and coped an attitude with the officer claiming the motive was racial. Who knows what forms this mentality shows itself....a mentality passed down from generation to generation.

The fact that Chinese have been slaves in America and Mexican cheap farm labors all of whom were treated just as unfairly...yet they and other minorities or immmagrants who come here ban together as a family unit...don't blame the system....but work just as hard if not harder for the American dream. WHY because of their attitude, the world and the system doesn't owe them anything...they work for it themselves. Not so with majority of the black community, yes you have your exceptions, quit a few indeed, and even many of those still have feelings no matter how small of victimization. Remember OJ? was the race card NOT played? was the jury mostly black and the reason he got off? Why did he get off because he was INNOCENT, NO WAY he got off, one because he was rich and a celeberty (along with Michael Jackson) but also because the jury was going to stick it to the system for those they feel were wrongly persacuted because of the color of their skin.

I feel sorry for those who feel pulled in both directions, that if they don't act "black" they are labled Uncle Toms and traitors. If they act "black" in order to fit in then they have to submit to the Victim mentality, which keeps them from acheiving, to the best of their ability. This is a very sad fact, which is expressed by those who have lived through it.

#90 Phillipians121, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  11. Phillipians121

Moved below

#91 Phillipians121, Jan 15, 2007
  12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe somebody should point out something to YOU... like the definition of discrimination. White folks can be discriminated against too. If I, as a white male, cannot receive certain special rights such as job protection, scholarships, or anything along those lines, due to the simple fact that I'm white and/or the fact that I'm a male, then I'm being discriminated against. I'm just saying that it goes both ways.

Equal means equal. Period. Equal does not mean colleges giving preferential admissions to some black folks even if everything else on paper is the exact same or slightly worse than white applicants - equal would mean that those black people get accepted into college instead of the white people solely because they outperformed the white people who didn't get accepted. Equal does not mean federal laws that state that a certain percentage of federal workers must be black, even if there are more qualified white people available.

The fact of the manner is that if you take two boys who grew up in the same neighborhood, going to the same school, going to the same church, and got the same grades... if one of them were black and the other one was white, in today's world the black boy would have an advantage in college and in the workplace. The black boy would be more likely to be accepted at a particular college. He'd be more likely to receive special scholarships. He'd be more likely to land a particular job. All because he's black. Now, it didn't used to be this way, and that's why all these equal opportunity laws and such exist now, but that doesn't change the fact that in this situation, it's not "equal", it's "special".

Equal would mean that there would be no thought to skin color whatsoever when handing out scholarships, or accepting somebody to college, or offering them a job. But, you get two nearly identical boys to apply for the same stuff in the above scenario, and what you get isn't "equal" at all. Race is very much a factor, and nowadays if two people were truely equal, the white guy would still get the short end of the stick.

#92 corndogggy, Jan 15, 2007
  13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It's the beam in their eyes. They will be judged. They (media and all their way far left liberal buddies) are SP's, as noted and termed by Bill O'Reilly (Fox News). SP = Secular Progressives, which I image to be morally corrupt, and excess in self-indulgence. This life long Catholic boy has their number. Sad he is not in agreement with some in his faith, that believes Jesus Christ to be his savior. Praying he, and all others if in the will of God, will see the light.

14. Phillipians121

LOSING THE RACE By John McWhoter

This is unquestionably the best piece of factual non-fiction scholarship I have ever read. John McWhorter hits the nail right on the head in eloquently explaining the three "cults" that plague us as Black Americans - Victomology, Separatism, and particularly ANTI-INTELLECTUALISM. As a young Black man whose dearly departed mother instilled in him the value of education at an early age, who did well in school, and who was viciously ostracized and ridiculed by his Black peers for "actin' white" as a result, reading LOSING THE RACE represents the ultimate validation for me. The fact that so many Black young people see not only academic success, but a mere love of learning as something "not BLACK" is a CULTURAL problem I have witnessed my entire life. I realized in reading McWhorter's book that I am not alone.

The many anecdotes he gives poignantly and accurately explains the Black American self-induced psychological phobia of anything scholarly: how Black freshmen accepted at Berkeley after affirmative action was repealed (i.e. because of their high academic prowess and not their skin color) were looked upon as "OREOS" by the Black preference-benefitting upper-classmen; how when he was growing up one of his childhood friends had his little sister slap him for correctly spelling the word "CONCRETE"; how, while in graduate school, after engaging the professor in a discussion on the Swahili verb TO BE - a subject of dear interest to him - some other Black grad students approached him afterwards asking "whether or not he was a TRUE BROTHA." While reading, I had flashbacks of my own childhood experiences of being dissed almost daily by my own "people" for being smart and having the audacity to actually ENJOY school.

For years I have grown sick and tired of liberal "blacker than thou" pseudo-intellectuals who claim to have MY best interests at heart as a Black American. They blame all of our problems on racism, constantly making us out to be victims - even 30-plus years after the Civil Rights Movement! Yet, they are never willing to turn the microscope on us as Black Americans and how we should take responsibility for the ways in which we do ourselves in, but are quick to try to censor, berate, and/or brand as a "traitor" someone like McWhorter for doing so, all for the so-called crime of "airing our dirty laundry." If I, the youngest of six children and the product of a broken home in inner-city Cleveland, OH, can graduate high school VALEDICTORIAN, become the first college graduate in my family, earn a master's degree, and ultimately become a diplomat for the U.S. government, then what in God's name is wrong with (suburban) middle-class black students - as the author clearly points out in his discussion of Shaker Heights High School - who attend the best schools, with top-notch teachers, guidance counselors and other educational resources, have college-educated parents and therefore no excuse NOT to succeed, yet STILL choose not to apply themselves, blow off the importance of education, care more about being popular than being smart, and then later on want to turn around and blame "WHITEY" for all of the opportunities that they missed? The three "Cults"as accurately explained by the author are what's wrong.

Furthermore, for those Blacks who fear that this book will serve as "further ammunition for racist Whites to use against us," I say that such an arguement is a copout. We need to stop worrying about what white people think of us and start getting our collective house(s) in order.

This book NEEDED to be written, and I applaud Professor McWhorter for having the guts to write it as passionately and critically as he has. It serves as a much-needed wake-up call for the entire Black community.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=john+mcwhorter+losing+the+race&btnG=Google+Search

#94 Phillipians121, Jan 15, 2007
  15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Your kidding right? You really don't know all that much about scholarships do you? There ARE men-only scholarships. Quite a few of them actually. Let's see there are men's sports scholarships, everything from golf to football. There are also scholarships that fraternities offer EXCLUSIVELY for their members. Fraternities are for men.

Be realistic, you get rid of black or Latino scholarships then you also have to get rid of scholarships for the blind. Let's face it a seeing person cannot become blind for the sake of a scholarship. Scholarships exclusively for the poor will have to be done away with because a person cannot become poor for the sake of a scholarship. The list goes on and on.

Keep whining. Those black people have it so good. Boo-hoo they even get to have scholarships....:tear: :rolleyes: PATHETIC!

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Oh, so now you speak for the black community. Again you have given ABSOLUTELY no proof whatsoever for your ridiculous claims. The fact that you even have to say "you have your exceptions, quit a few indeed" proves that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Really how can you even possibly claim to speak for the majority of black people based on your limited knowledge of what 5-20 people?

17. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

There are MANY, MANY, MANY black people who value education. You are not considered "white" if you have an education especially in this day and age. I mean really, you read the experience of one man and claim that his experiences relate to all of the black community?

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Already answered this. Oh, and BTW I have very good idea of what discrimination is. I know it goes both ways, and if there are LEGITIMATE claims of discrimination I will acknowledge it and work to change it. I also agree that equal means equal for everybody. So far you have not given me anything to make your case stronger.

19. Phillipians121

FILMPRODCER I keep posting from black writers themselves and yet you ignor the truth...why because you can't handle the truth! YOU HAVE NO AGRGUEMENT WORTH LISTENING TO
    Did you not read from these two?

LOSING THE RACE By John McWhoter

This is unquestionably the best piece of factual non-fiction scholarship I have ever read. John McWhorter hits the nail right on the head in eloquently explaining the three "cults" that plague us as Black Americans - Victomology, Separatism, and particularly ANTI-INTELLECTUALISM. As a young Black man whose dearly departed mother instilled in him the value of education at an early age, who did well in school, and who was viciously ostracized and ridiculed by his Black peers for "actin' white" as a result, reading LOSING THE RACE represents the ultimate validation for me. The fact that so many Black young people see not only academic success, but a mere love of learning as something "not BLACK" is a CULTURAL problem I have witnessed my entire life. I realized in reading McWhorter's book that I am not alone.

The many anecdotes he gives poignantly and accurately explains the Black American self-induced psychological phobia of anything scholarly: how Black freshmen accepted at Berkeley after affirmative action was repealed (i.e. because of their high academic prowess and not their skin color) were looked upon as "OREOS" by the Black preference-benefitting upper-classmen; how when he was growing up one of his childhood friends had his little sister slap him for correctly spelling the word "CONCRETE"; how, while in graduate school, after engaging the professor in a discussion on the Swahili verb TO BE - a subject of dear interest to him - some other Black grad students approached him afterwards asking "whether or not he was a TRUE BROTHA." While reading, I had flashbacks of my own childhood experiences of being dissed almost daily by my own "people" for being smart and having the audacity to actually ENJOY school.

For years I have grown sick and tired of liberal "blacker than thou" pseudo-intellectuals who claim to have MY best interests at heart as a Black American. They blame all of our problems on racism, constantly making us out to be victims - even 30-plus years after the Civil Rights Movement! Yet, they are never willing to turn the microscope on us as Black Americans and how we should take responsibility for the ways in which we do ourselves in, but are quick to try to censor, berate, and/or brand as a "traitor" someone like McWhorter for doing so, all for the so-called crime of "airing our dirty laundry." If I, the youngest of six children and the product of a broken home in inner-city Cleveland, OH, can graduate high school VALEDICTORIAN, become the first college graduate in my family, earn a master's degree, and ultimately become a diplomat for the U.S. government, then what in God's name is wrong with (suburban) middle-class black students - as the author clearly points out in his discussion of Shaker Heights High School - who attend the best schools, with top-notch teachers, guidance counselors and other educational resources, have college-educated parents and therefore no excuse NOT to succeed, yet STILL choose not to apply themselves, blow off the importance of education, care more about being popular than being smart, and then later on want to turn around and blame "WHITEY" for all of the opportunities that they missed? The three "Cults"as accurately explained by the author are what's wrong.

Furthermore, for those Blacks who fear that this book will serve as "further ammunition for racist Whites to use against us," I say that such an arguement is a copout. We need to stop worrying about what white people think of us and start getting our collective house(s) in order.

This book NEEDED to be written, and I applaud Professor McWhorter for having the guts to write it as passionately and critically as he has. It serves as a much-needed wake-up call for the entire Black community.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. Phillipians121

Here is another...I could flood the thread with more but I won't this is enough for anyone with common sense.

FROM A BLACK AUTHOR ON THE SUBJECT of Victimization taught to them from their BLACK leaders...Maybe you will believe him?

I'm Not A Victim, I'm A Man

(A New Visions Commentary published April 1996 by Project 21, a project of The National Center for Public Policy Research. New Visions Commentaries are the opinion of their author and not necessary those of Project 21.)

I'm not a [--] victim, so please quit treating me like one. I'm tired of your willingness to accept my failures without encouraging me to get back up. I'm tired of your willingness to accept the demasculization of the black male. I'm tired of your willingness to accept less than what I'm capable of. In short, I'm tired of what is currently recognized as African-American leadership.

I've come to the harsh realization that black people have been pimped. Just like a woman of ill-repute, black people been exploited in every way imaginable, yet our leaders still expect us to keep coming back for more of the same treatment. Even worse, blacks who do become part of the free market and start to enjoy the priviledges of being an American are either ridiculed or ignored by their leaders.

This poses quite a delimma. Civil rights leaders have limited black society to two choices: Either adopt the victim mentality, wait for the handouts and be praised -- or accept responsibilities like a man and risk being labeled an "Uncle Tom." Personally I was fortunate to have a father who taught me discipline so I chose to be a man. Being a man means taking control of your situation and leaving the handouts for those who really need them. After years of being ostracized because of their reluctance to subscribe to the victim mentality, conservative blacks have been continuously confronted by the philosophically of ignorance. It stands to reason that if current African-American leaders are upset because black conservatives use intellect and integrity to make the best of a situation, then the leaders need to take a long hard look in the mirror as to who are the real "Uncle Toms."

If promoting and dwelling in victimhood is the solution to our prosperity, why do we continue to suffer? I'm sure that you are as aware as I am that as long as we've used this excuse our situation has worsened and so has the level of self-hatred among our people. These negative consequences may not be the intent of our leaders, but the result is the same no matter their motives. The time is now for African-Americans to think for ourselves. The time is now for our leaders to start listening to us and stop preaching to us. After all, we are the ones who know what's wrong with our communities. Our world is changing and so are our political opinions. If we are to be a legitimate force to be dealt with, we have to disassociate ourselves from the slave mentality and embrace the spirit of the American Constitution.

The truth is slavery was a [--]awful experience and we should remember our people who were oppressed by it. The fact is today we are free. We are free to be victims just as well as we are free to be self-supporting individuals. Today, unlike our ancestors, we do have a choice. It's time for us to tell our leaders that. If they don't listen, then it's time to elect new ones.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/Man.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.