1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why is it such a big deal?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Sapper Woody, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
    32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming. Mt 12 YLT

With the incarnation no longer present, I'm not sure if it's even possible to commit that sin anymore.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This sin actually began with the implementation of the Kingdom of God. Those unbelieving that Jesus Christ is the Messiah have committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit who directs hearts towards Jesus Christ as Messiah.

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment. Of sin, because they believe not on me." (John16) - Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit!

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

People who died and were in hell before Christ came in the flesh, Christ atoned for their sins, eventhough they were already paying for theirs. That's the logical conclusion of unlimited atonement. Christ paid for their wickedness and so do they. Thank you...you just advocated a "double payment" for their sins...

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not shown that unbelief equates to the sin of blasphemy against the Spirit as presented in Mt 12, not even close.

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

We are responsible for our actions that God is using us to save people from death. That we can blasphemy the Holy Spirit by working against Him and even cause Him to grieve over men being lost. What else can cause the Holy Spirit to grieve.

Our God is emotional and us ignoring our compassion for all those that have no Shepherd to lead them and pray for the Lord of the Harvest to send out more workers. Holy Spirit filled believers for no one else can do the work they are called to do without Him.

There is too many scripture telling of our work to reach everyone.

The Gospel to turn away from our wickedness and repent turn to God as we know Him Jesus.

God knows if we truly have Godly sorrow for our sin and grants us repentance.

The Gospel message has never changed.

We are a new creation in Christ. This new creation is what was chosen before the foundation of the world. Those who believed God and is credited His righteousness is in Christ to now.

Praise Jesus.

I pray for oneness but if men have no heart or ignore their new heart they have been given they will never see.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Willis, the problem with Calvinists is that they look at the atonement like a 5 lbs. bag of sugar. It can only go so far and do so much.

But Jesus compared himself to the brass serpent put on a pole by Moses. Any man who was bitten by one of the fiery serpents could look, and every man that looked was healed.

Num 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
    7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
    8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
    9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

It doesn't get any clearer than this, the Lord told Moses that "every one" that is bitten, when he looks on the brass serpent would live. And the next verse tells us that if a serpent had bitten "any man", when that man looked at the brass serpent he lived.

There you go, the brass serpent could heal "every one" and "any man" who was bitten by a fiery serpent. This represents all men who have been bitten by sin and are going to die.

Any man and every man can look to Jesus and he will live. The atonement is not limited, except that a man must freely and willingly look to Jesus to be saved.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe it shows it clearly. It seems you have the same answer to these problematic issues with Calvinism as does men like John MacArthur when he says "I don't know, but TULIP is the gospel!!!!!"

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no problematic issue here. No where does scripture equate unbelief to blasphemy of the Spirit. If there's a problem here, it's your imagination. :)

Heb 3-4 delves into the sin of unbelief and no where is it presented as an unforgivable sin.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats your foundation......and doing everything he tells you to do....so.....

Do you love your enemies, how bout choosing God over money &do you judge others? Here is one.....Do you rejoice in tribulation?

Not only do we have claim to be followers of the Way, we must obey the Word (Jesus) in order to show others and ourselves that we get it.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not sure I understand what you are saying, the scripture states "no man" can lay the foundation, Jesus Christ laid it and we trust in Him.

Now, do I do everything Jesus tells me to do? I'm a work in progress and fail daily. How about you? You loving God and your neighbor perfectly as God does? Or do you find yourself in need of a Saviour daily as I do?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But you said you are not even sure what it means or if it still applies. I gave a very good answer and gave supporting scripture.

Can you give an answer for this one.....

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!"

Jesus lamenting over Israel for not choosing to follow Him, notice the wording....ye would not.....and not ye could not.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha.....absolutely not! Man I'm a sinner....but I'm trying.:smilewinkgrin:

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said, "With the incarnation no longer present, I'm not sure if it's even possible to commit that sin anymore."

No, you did not, you've only imagined that you did. From the example in Mt 12, maligning the work of the Spirit to be that of the Devil is blasphemy against the Spirit. In no way have you provided scriptural proof that unbelief is attributing the work of the Spirit to be that of the Devil. Not even close.

You think that's the first time that Jehovah ever lamented over Jerusalem? It's more like the final straw:

33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell?
    34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city:
    35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

It is very possible that the horrible judgments that were poured out upon that generation, the same generation of the incarnation, were in fact for blasphemy against the Spirit, but that is not the unbelief that is covered in Heb 3-4.

#53 kyredneck, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did a little research to see what the great Spurgeon had to say about blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, surely he would understand it. Here is what he said, "I cannot tell you what it is; I do no profess to understand it; but there it is."

Now don't you find it strange that all these great preachers who claim to have the gospel down pat in the acronym TULIP have no idea what this sin is?? Don't you think if it is unpardonable you might want to know just what it is??

Matthew Henry agrees with me, as does most scholars who actually deal with it.....

"[1.] What this sin; it is speaking against the Holy Ghost. See what malignity there is in tongue-sins, when the only unpardonable sin is so. But Jesus knew their thoughts, v. 25. It is not all speaking against the person or essence of the Holy Ghost, or some of his more private operations, or merely the resisting of his internal working in the sinner himself, that is here meant; for who then should be saved? It is adjudged in our law, that an act of indemnity shall always be construed in favour of that grace and clemency which is the intention of the act; and therefore the exceptions in the act are not to be extended further than needs must. The gospel is an act of indemnity; none are excepted by name, nor any by description, but those only that blaspheme the Holy Ghost; which therefore must be construed in the narrowest sense: all presuming sinners are effectually cut off by the conditions of the indemnity, faith and repentance; and therefore the other exceptions must not be stretched far: and this blasphemy is excepted, not for any defect of mercy in God or merit in Christ, but because it inevitably leaves the sinner in infidelity and impenitency. We have reason to think that none are guilty of this sin, who believe that Christ is the Son of God, and sincerely desire to have part in his merit and mercy: and those who fear they have committed this sin, give a good sign that they have not. The learned Dr. Whitby very well observes, that Christ speaks not of what should be (Mk. 3:28; Lu. 12:10); Whosoever shall blaspheme. As for those who blasphemed Christ when he was here upon earth, and called him a Winebibber, a Deceiver, a Blasphemer, and the like, they had some colour of excuse, because of the meanness of his appearance, and the prejudices of the nation against him; and the proof of his divine mission was not perfected till after his ascension; and therefore, upon their repentance, they shall be pardoned: and it is hoped that they may be convinced by the pouring out of the Spirit, as many of them were, who had been his betrayers and murderers. But if, when the Holy Ghost is given, in his inward gifts of revelation, speaking with tongues, and the like, such as were the distributions of the Spirit among the apostles, if they continue to blaspheme the Spirit likewise, as an evil spirit, there is no hope of them that they will ever be brought to believe in Christ; for First, Those gifts of the Holy Ghost in the apostles were the last proof that God designed to make use of for the confirming of the gospel, and were still kept in reserve, when other methods preceded. Secondly, This was the most powerful evidence, and more apt to convince than miracles themselves. Thirdly, Those therefore who blaspheme this dispensation of the Spirit, cannot possibly be brought to believe in Christ; those who shall impute them to a collusion with Satan, as the Pharisees did the miracles, what can convince them? This is such a strong hold of infidelity as a man can never be beaten out of, and is therefore unpardonable, because hereby repentance is hid from the sinner's eyes."

Not sure if he was a Calvie or not, but he understands that it is the sin of unbelief.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this somehow addresses the fact that God said they "would not" as He continued to woe them to Himself??

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Blasphemy of the HG is to attribute His works to Satan. Nothing else. There is no room for debate on this issue. It is clear.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Absolutely! Which is obviously unbelief.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UH no that over simplifies it to the point of being in error. It goes further than just unbelief. It is calling God evil.

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice, attributing the work of Holy Spirit in Christ Jesus as the work of the devil.

He destroyed the work of satan and now through Him we can be saved in and through Him, and defeat death as He did.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

I believe it had to be intentional as well, you had to know better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.