1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it those who are divorced or have made mistakes in their lives.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 2, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

then it's God you disagree with

Pretty much final, but not final means you were still married, and committed adultry. Your husband may be guilty of adultry, but so are you.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Dr Bob,

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!

My goodness, one poster posts that she is "shacking up" with some guy, and I go and read her post and there is NOTHING even close to that.

Another one posts and says her MySpace site makes her seem very "unchristian" and casts her in an "angry" light, so I go to her MySpace page and I see NOTHING even remotely close to any of that.

And then she gets slammed for being blessed and helped by Joyce Meyers books. I dont agree with everything Joyce Meyer has taught, but MUCH of her teaching is just wonderful.

Man alive. Talk about shooting the wounded.

Where is the (((LOVE))) folks???

:godisgood:

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

For the most part you are talking about me, and I stand by my statements. They are based on her posts in this thread and in others.

Even atheists can give a "wonderful" talk on self esteem, ect, that doesnt mean I should listen to them. Joyce Meyer has no business preaching her false doctrine, and it is wrong to listen to any of it.

She asked for help on a christian board, but she doesnt like the responses.

And to imply that that there is no "love" here is totally wrong. I do care about her situation, mostly because I can identify with alot of what is going on with her. I have come through similar trials. My only point is that she needs to come to terms with herself and with God. Making excuses and blaming everyone else is not going to help her.

And her rebellious statements on here and on Myspace, and her refusal to accept the biblical doctrine of the role of a woman are making her situation even worse.

I know that being a single Mom has its challenges, but it irks me when women carry that title like a banner, and use it to get sympathy. She has excuses to justify everything she has done. She needs to stop talking about it and just do better. She might be amazed at how differently folks treat her if she would just stop being so defensive.

She has a militant attitude right now, and thinks that everyone is against her. The truth is this, the posters on here that gave her advise would not even know of her problems if she hadnt of put them out here for all to see. I, nor anyone else on here is against her, but she asked for help and we have offered it. If she wanted someone to pat her back and tell her lies, like she is doing the right thing, then she came to the wrong place. No christian would condone or excuse how she is living.

I dont think anyone on here is putting her down for the things she has done in the past. It is her current attitude of defiance and unrepentance that are the issues. the Lord knows that I have done many things much worse than what Traci has described, and the only way that I crawled up out of that life was by repenting. I had to stop making excuses and blaming everyone else, just like Traci needs to do.

I also had to learn that there are consequences to my actions. Getting pregnant by one man, who apparently is gone now, while being married to another has long term consequences, and it is just wishful thinking to hope that noone will notice.

Only she can change that, but her attitude and defiance have to change first.

AJ

#63 ajg1959, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

In my case, it was northern Fundamental Conservative Baptist.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

That's still no excuse for being so self-righteous as to condemn a divorced Christian and not allow him/her to serve the Lord. God can forgive ANY sin even if people can't. I don't believe divorce is right, but it's preferable to staying with a woman who tells you that she won't stop cheating on you, or with a self-righteous woman who constantly criticizes everything you say and do. What about the woman who is constantly beaten by her worthless husband? Is she expected to stay with him and "submit" to that? Where does "submission" for a woman stop and common sense take over? Personally, I cannot continue to love and respect a woman who continues to cheat on me and then tells me "I won't change."

#65 Jon-Marc, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Please explain this scripture then.

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
    1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

It says that a pastor should be the husband of one wife. that means first of all, that church leaders are to be men, not women. Secondly it means that a person that is divorced and remarried cannot be a pastor.

The instructions for women are in verse 11.

1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

You will notice in verse 12 that the qualifications to be a deacon are the same as for a pastor, so that rules out women as well.

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

These are not my words, but the Bible's. Noone said God doesnt forgive divorce, but there are still consequences for divorce as are listed here.

That being said, I have also heard pastor's wives talk about remarried divorcees "living in sin". I do not believe this either. How does one "live in sin"? My wife and I have both been divorced and now we are married to each other with a 3 year old baby. Are we "living in sin"? Obviously, since we were divorced there have been sins commited, but God has forgiven those sins, they are not continuos. Would God have us now to divorce each other and go back to our ex's? I dont think so.

There are cases of biblical divorce that the Bible allows for, but most folks just assume that all divorce is wrong, and in most cases I suspect it is.

Traci, I would suggest to you that no matter what your husband was doing, it doesnt justify having sex outside of marriage by you. You made marriage vows that you are responsible for, and he made his. You canot be responsible for him breaking his vows, but on the other hand, his infidelity doesnt justify yours.

Even with forgiveness towards each other and from God, this situation is going to take a long time to heal. Carrying a grudge and calling him "Mr Idiot" will just prolong the healing.

AJ

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This I do agree with.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was the one who mentioned the "shacking up" (not those terms though - someone else used those after I mentioned living together) and I still think I remember her saying that they were spending nights together - which means to me that they were living together. He was at her house for dinner and spending the night. Sounds like he moved in.

This is a woman who was getting a divorce, possibly not of her own fault (of course we haven't heard his side of the story, although he was absolutely in the wrong to have an affair), but was still married when she started sleeping with another man and got pregnant. She states she did not commit adultery which is either a very deceived, delusional or denial-filled woman. She refuses Biblical teaching about authority and she asks why she's treated as a second class citizen in church? We've answered with the truth. The truth has not been easy for her to take and so she claims that she's victimized by everyone. Where's the love? It's love to condone what she's doing? I'd like to see the Scripture for that.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Annsni,

(and the others I referred to)

When I posted that post I had only read the very earliest pages of this thread. Since then I have read about the other posts on those other threads...and that provided the "missing pieces" of the puzzle, so to speak.

So now I can sort of understand the reason for the tone of those posts.

:godisgood:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gotcha. If you read the responses to her posts since she got here, this is typical for her. She posts something that is against God's Word, trying to get acceptance and a hearty slap on the back then gets all "victimized" when the members here come back to her with "Not in the Bible" and try to speak to her to teach her some truth. It's sad. I feel sorry for her and her struggles but I cannot condone them nor, I'm sure, can her church. She's going to continue to find a lack of "love" as some would think it when she continues to disagree that sin is sin.

Thanks for you explanation. I was thinking "HUH??" at your post. ;)

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't it funny (and I don't mean "ha ha") that, if we accept a person living in sin, then we're showing God's love? But if we tell them they're living in sin, we're being judgmental?

In the end analysis, if Superwoman has repented and asked God to forgive her of what has happened, then there's nothing more to be said. She just needs to grow some thicker skin and stop worrying about what other people think, and use the opportunities that she's being presented to share the gospel (for example, she mentioned that she went through a check-out line, and the cashier's attitude changed when she found out Superwoman was divorced and a single, pregnant mom; this would have been the perfect time to let the cashier know that God forgives sins, and that she's been forgiven, and wouldn't the cashier like to know more? Not to mention, Superwoman could easily remove the evidence of her sin (have an abortion), but she's choosing to obey God and raise the child...and so on).

12. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Have an abortion??????? That never even crossed my mind once when I found out I was pregnant. I was raised a catholic until I was 20 when I left the church and started seeking more of God than just what I was taught. I am not asking for justification, I know I am not perfect I asked a question about being treated like a 2nd class citizen and instead I get burned at the stake. This has almost has me wanting to leave the Baptist Church altogehter knowing that you cannot love all people regardless of mistakes. Last night I got into the story of the "Woman at the well." The more I read this story and studied it the more I wish everyone would have the heart of Christ. He didnt bash her or tie her to the stake instead He ministered to her, loved her. This is the year 2008 not the 50's or even earlier than that. Marriages dont last 50 years today I wish mine had I know I put up with alot while being married to him but he chose to throw his family and everything away and marry a woman who admits to her friends and family that she is nasty after all besides my husband who is the first guy she actually married she has dated and destroyed the marriages of 4 other military guys and their families all because of temptation. Why she chose to marry my husband I will never know well actually to stay out of jail from the military is why he divorced me and married her. My divorce was final when I slept with that man no I am not proud of it but there were alot of things going on and yes I have repented, I am not dating anyone and havent since that happened I have for the most part retreated from life in general and so I go to work and come home and Wednesdays I go to divorce care and Sundays go to service but thats about it for getting out. Those that were my friends when I was married are for the most part not my friends now and its amazing that people who are hurting like you how they become your friends I now have friends from AA and divorce care yeah I guess those who are hurting stick together. If Christ came back today and saw how Christians have treated those who have been hurt I would think He would turn around and leave you to your own devices.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is good. I know that it would have been an "easy" way out of a situation that you did not plan but planning to have the baby is very honorable.

Don't even compare you being given the truth to being burned at the stake. That's honestly offensive. You are being told the truth - just as Jesus told the truth. You do not accept it because you are in rebellion. That is YOUR problem.

Show me in Scripture where the church is to love everyone regardless of what they do. I haven't seen that directive. Yes, we are to be loving towards our brothers and sisters but part of that love is to speak the truth and, if necessary, to discipline them. God disciplines us too, in case you didn't know.

He told her that she was not living with her husband - and she knew that to be true. She knew what that meant and we can only hope that she would have turned her heart to the Lord. As it was, she went off to tell everyone about Him. But note that He didn't say "good for you" or anything about her lifestyle. Also note that she was not a follower of Christ - she was outside of the faith. So His goal was to bring her to a relationship with Him. From that point, then He works on the heart.

Umm - in the 50s, marriages didn't always last 50 years either. Divorce is a sin that is rampant in our society but it doesn't mean it's right.

Honestly, this has nothing to do with what we're discussing with you. Your husband walked out on you. There was nothing more you could do (from what you've said - of course I don't have the other side so I can't say it definitively).

Not according to the laws of the state. Remember that we're to obey those in authority over us including our government who made these laws and put them in place.

Excuses.

Did you know that repented means to change your mind and walk away from what you were doing?

In my opinion, you are now no longer married and dating is OK at this point.

That's probably good for you. You need to concentrate on your relationship with the Lord, your family and your work.

This is really common. Sometimes it's hard when you've been friends with both in the relationship and now it's just the one - and you're still friends with the other. But life circumstances happen and people change. You might not have the same interests or maybe it's even something in you that is driving them away. Not saying it's what happened here but I've experienced it. A friend divorced her husband then spent every moment we were together either bashing him or else complaining. I had to break off the friendship because of that.

Umm - I don't think so. He promises to return for all His children. Christians aren't perfect. But if we hurt someone who is living in sin and not acknowledging that sin, then we are COMMANDED to call them to the carpet. You might want to spend some time reading 1 Corinthians 5 tonight - or even read what 2 Timothy 3:16 says about what God's Word is suitable for. Note that it speaks of "reproof" and "correction" - not just love and roses.

You are looking for a very weak Gospel. My pastor said something that is very applicable to this situation IMO. You have had a CAT scan and there are spots on your lungs. Doctor Love says to you "You're doing great. Don't worry about those spots. Think good thoughts and you'll have a happy life. You are wonderful and these can be the best years of your life." But then you go see Doctor Truth who tells you "Yes, you have a fatal disease. Those spots are cancer and you will not be alive in a year. However, there is a treatment that, if started immediately, can get rid of the cancer and assure a long life for you. It's not going to be easy - it's going to cause pain but in the end, you will be healed" Who do you listen to? I'd honestly be given the truth and find a way to be healed rather than listen to Dr. Love who is leading me right to a painful, hard, unhappy death. Who would you choose?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Superwoman - I just posted this elsewhere on this board but I thought of you when I saw it. It's a teaching by Mark Driscoll and I think you should watch it when you have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuiUOapK1w

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recommend you go back and read that story again. You'll see one particular verse that says "For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly" (depending on which version you use).

From that, you should note, as Ann pointed out, that Jesus didn't "overlook" what the woman was doing; He identified that she was not doing what she should be.

You know what one of the most overlooked verses in the Bible is? John 8:11, where Jesus says "go, and sin no more." Funny thing about how we think Jesus would handle things today; for some reason, we think He would simply say, "I love you" and not say a word about what we're doing wrong.

Actually, if that were true, He would have left the woman at the well alone...read the rest of the passage, and you'll see that others asked Him, "what are you doing with that woman?"
    Have you also asked forgiveness for all of it? If so, I think that puts the matter to rest. I don't know about the rest of these folks, but if you've repented and asked forgiveness, and are living differently and for the Lord, then I applaud you.

#75 Don, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  16. donnA

donnA Active Member

I haven't been on line since Friday so i haven't caught up on most threads yet. But I was thinking over the weekend that when a person truely has repented they no longer try and justify their sin, they no longer try to place the blame on others, 'I did what I did because of what they did to me' kind of attitude. A truely repentant person will accept that they did it(whatever the sin in question), no one else to blame but themselves, not try to place the blame on others so they look justified in what they did, turn from the sin and seek to not do it again, they do no ever argue they had good reasons for their sin, a repentant person will never see good enough reasons for their sin. They know that they and they alone are guilty of their sin.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Theres more to this story then divorce. This person has committed adultry is preganant with anothe rmans baby, continuelly defends her actions, casts blame for her own sin on others, and is in rebellion to God, she has actually braged about it here, and stated her position not to followe scripture anymore because it doesn't work for her, scripture is according to her out dated, we are more modern now and it no longer applies. Not to mention she lied and called the pregnant adultress hypothetical, when in fact it was her.
    This kind of thing is whats being condemned.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Exactly! We can not place blame on others when we chose to sin, the bible says every man (person) will answer to God for their own sin, blaming someone else isn't going to work.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'll agree with Ann, this has been the norm for this poster since she got here.

20. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

And I am glad that you and Ann and most of the people on here are so "perfect". I just wanted to point this out to all of you that I placed this post on another forum, and it hasnt gone to burning me at the stake in fact the responses are quite different than the responses here. More of support and understanding.