1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it those who are divorced or have made mistakes in their lives.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 2, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Your not apologizing is toward God not us. You committed adultery, and see no reason to apologize to God, you filed for divorce and see nothing wrong with that, no need to apologize to God, you put God on your time schedule, 'God do your stuff in 1 year or else', and theres nothing to apologize for.
    This is what unrepentance looks like.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You specifically said your divorce was not finalized when you committed adultry. You said your marriage was basically over, not a finalized divorce.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why is it divorced people hate people who have stable, godly marriages, who insist on living scripture.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A couple of disucssion points here that are resonable.

Marriage to an immoral woman. Moses and Jesus allows for it but it's not ideal? Good discussion here there was a prophet Hosea. I'm not judging just thinks its a good discussion point

After divorce should we remarry? I say no for myself I would not. (even if I'm lonely) And yes I've been very lonely before.

And I am not pious however I am self-righteous and superior to everyone else and look down on the pitiful masses who wish they were as good as I. Wahahaha! I'm an equal opportunity critic.

5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I have been divorced, and now am remarried, but I dont even think about my ex, much less call her "Miss Idiot". She is, after all, the mother of my two grown kids, and the grandmother of my grandkids.

I have repented and moved on, and I dont blame anyone else for my own sins.

As to whether is was a good idea to remarry...yeah....in my case it was because I am a much better person today because of my wife and my 3 year old child. I am sorry to have to admit that, but it is true. I do better with them than I ever did on my own.

But I cant say that remarrying is the right thing for everyone, or even biblical. I know it can be biblical in some cases, but not in mine. My first marriage did not end in biblical divorce, but, I dont think God would have me to leave my current wife and return to my first one.

The issue here is not about divorce, its about true repentance. Speaking for myself, I cant repent of anything that I am not willing to take responsibility for. How can I repent of something that I blame someone else for?

Personal responsibility and repentance.....good topics for a new thread, dont ya think?

AJ

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

very good post AJ.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Regarding re-marrying after divorce, its perfectly acceptable from a scriptural point of view. (Taking into consideration ALL scripture)

In Corinthians the teaching is that its better to remain single, but if one isnt gifted in that way...marry again. It says it better to marry, than to burn with passion trying to live single, without being gifted for it....

The "unmarried" in verse 8 is clearly referring to the divorced.

:godisgood:

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now this is a more engaging thread. Good.

Ok how do you show that the "unmarried" is referring to divorced people or men since maybe you're stating a differentiation from widows. I'm not a Greek scholar so maybe you can show me. I'd be curious to see. (not that I have a problem with the concept) Show how its related to divorced people. thanks.

9. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

That's an interesting exegesis of scripture. In light of scripture as a whole (as you put it), "unmarried" here does NOT mean divorced. It means either those who have never married or those that had been married, but their spouses were now dead. Neither does scripture say "its (sic) perfectly acceptable" to remarry under all circumstances.

Mar 10:11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
    Mar 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

10. Alive in Christ

Thinkingstuff,

I'm not a Greek scholor, either. I've discovered that God speaks English just wonderfully. :thumbs:

God...through Paul....adresses all of the normal marriage situations in 1st Corinthians 7.

Now...there are only 4 normal possible situations a person can be in regarding marriage.

1. Married.

2. Never been married. (virgins)

3. Widowed.

4. Divorced.

God through Paul adress all 4 of these situations.

Regarding those who are married, we find Pauls teaching in vers 10, where Paul starts with...

And he gives instruction to the married.

To those who have never married, Paul says in verse 25...

And he gives instruction to those who have never married.

Then in verse 8 Paul starts with....

Who is he referring to when he says "unmarried"?

Not those who have never married, because he adresses that situation in verse 25. ("now concerning virgins")

Obviously not the widowed, since he said "to the unmarried and the widows.

And he adressed the married in verse 10.

Every normal marital situation possible is adressed by Paul. And the only conclusion that makes logical sense is that "unmarried" means divorced.

As I said I am not one who pays much attention to "the Greek" since God speaks clearly to me in English, but I can say that I HAVE heard teachers who do know the Greek teach this.

#110 Alive in Christ, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  11. Alive in Christ

mparkerfd20,

Paul clearly adressed the virgins later in verse 25. He doesnt refer to them as "unmarried" but as "virgins". He is clearly differentiating between "virgins" and the "unmarried"...and also the "widows" and the "unmarried".

True. The allowance is if the person is not gifted to a life of singleness as Paul was.

Verses 27 and 28. Same chapter...

#111 Alive in Christ, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  12. donnA

donnA Active Member

While you all are discussing 1 Cor 7, how about God instructions concerning divorce
    10Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

When you pay close attention to the text this makes sense.

14. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Are all unmarried people virgins? No. Are all virgins unmarried? Well yeah probably unless we are talking about the time between the marriage and the honeymoon. :laugh:

That being said, how can we deduct that he was absolutely talking about divorced here?

And Donna thanks for pointing out verses 10 and 11. These are included in the "whole of scripture".

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

According to God they should be, and this is how Paul is writting, otherwise he is repeating himself in the middle of the instructions, changing what he is calling a set of people, was he confused? I just don't God says, oh well since you people obviously are disobeing Me anyway, we'll let it slip, it don't mean anything, I'll just change for you. really?

16. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I haven't had any formal training on exegesis. Maybe you're right. I'm just trying to figure it out and I just don't see how you can reconcile verses 10-11 if Paul is then endorsing divorcees remarrying to another spouse if there ex is still living.

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry I don't get that at all by reading the text in English:

From 1-7 Its better not to marry but because of issues get married and BTW here is what you need to do. So, primarily about the operation of marriage.

then you have this:

or to stay in what ever state your in unmarried (not divorcees) or widowed (also not divorcees) stay that way unless you can't bare it.

Then it goes into futher discourse of the marriage state in relation to divorce:

I don't see from an english stand point that the "unmarried" in verse 8 is divorced people but people not married as yet.

18. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

No it seems perfectly clear to me. A women is not to remarry if she is seperated from her husband, weather that be through divorce or just being seperated. You can't change what the scripture says no matter how much you wish it said something different. Fact is fact.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But a man can?

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Probably not. I assumed that I was justified in remarrying since I divorced an adulterous wife, but maybe I wasn't. "Art thou bound unto a wife? Seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? Seek not a wife." 1 Cor. 7:27. I should have never married the first one. Being divorced from her, I should have never remarried.