1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Walls, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

when a newly saved person begins to grow in the Lord and makes changes in their life it is wonderful but, when that same person begins to grow in areas that others aren't, then the question is raised, "Well, just how far are you going to go?"

2. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

WOW! I have heard people say, yeah, I wonder how long that will last. Your right, I think that is so wrong.

When people get saved, they are suppose to change. They are suppose to grow. I wonder if it is not just...that those who have chose not to grow, who are sitting on the pew, idle in the same place, where they first got saved, who are saying this. Because someone who is truly growing in the Lord, would rejoice for another.

I am an emotional kind of person, I guess. I cry when people get batized (In joy), and when I see someone who is so faithful. What an encouragement. I also want to be around that person, they keep me on my toes. They keep me desiring more my ownself. But when I sit by those who are idle, I start to become idle. I do not like that.

I am not talking about those who are thinking they are always right either. I am talking about those who truly are growing and having an intimate relationship with the Lord. Those who are always studying God's Word, and yet they are always learning something new. What a blessing!

I am so thankful. I pray they are in my life all the time! I like walking with God, and talking to Him about everything. And I like that God has brought those people in my life.

God Bless
    Sherrie

3. Walls

Walls New Member

Amen, Sherrie! Couldn't said it better myself. It is sweet to walk with the Lord. There is a song we have heard called "Nothing Quite as Sweet as Walking with Jesus" and it is absolutely true.

4. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I think this was a great topic, and hope more people will respond to it.

Sherrie

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Now this is just my opinion....

I've known many new Christians and some tend to get caught up in some very odd doctrines or go overboard. I knew one woman who was positive that an ear infection was a demon in her ear. She also proclaimed, when she was 2 weeks pregnant that God had told her she was carrying a son and to name him some horrendous Bible name. 9 months later she had a cute little girl.

People who have seen new Christians throw out their televisions, give up stuff, etc. and then 5 years down the road see the same people with a wide screen and 3 other t.v.'s just expect that from the others so don't take them seriously.

Again, just my personal thoughts. I can point out the scripture about novices not being appointed as deacons, etc. because of their attitudes...

I KNOW this is out of context but thought the mention of a new convert/ novice might shine SOME light on this question.

Diane

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

What a horrible thing to say to a new Believer. :mad:

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

People grow in the Lord at different rates. God places convictions upon one's heart at different times.

Just because someone thinks someone else is not 'growing fast enough', because they don't have the same convictions, could be a BIG stumbling block to a new Christian.

Like Diane, I have seen new converts get 'on fire' and think they know more than the seasoned Christians and before long they burn out and soon are backslidden.

I try to stay so busy with my OWN walk with the Lord that I don't tend to notice if someone else is doing the same thing I am or not.

Blessings,
    §ue

8. Walls

Walls New Member

I know what Diane is saying, I have seen Christians who stand very strong in an area only later to find that they don't. I think in those cases it is either one of two things, 1) they were following someone else but not really convicted or 2)they were so discouraged and let someone talk them out of it.

We all have times when we think one thing is right and then further study or conviction leads us to another conclusion about the matter. I think the thing that should be noticed in a persons walk, is steady growth in the right direction.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

What I have seen is that too mnay times in a new christians life in their excietment and eagerness to obey God they easily fall into legalism. Then try and tell others they are in disobedience if they aren't doing the samethings they(the new christian) are doing. Too many times they see older christians as being disobedient, and not willing to be obedient, as if they've traded a good clean christian life in for the world. And usually these things simply aren't true. The truth being that the older christian has learned they can grow in the Lord and not be legalistic. The question, just how far are you going to go, is not a question of just how much are you going to be obedient to God, but a question of legalism. The older christian has been there and probably did the samething when they were new and easily spot it in other new christians.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well said ladies. I have also noticed that those who came from the most worldly lifestyles, when they turn to Jesus, make such terrific turns that they give an appearance of 'going too far' when actually they are just turning to HIM! The change in them is a shock to those who knew them before.

On the otherhand, I can give as an example being quiverful. I've known, from www.justmoms.com, a large number of women who fought and fought demanding that those of us who had limited the number of children we had by vasectomies, non-aborifants or just by planning 'time of fertility' were sinning and unless those permanent preventatives were reversed, we were continuing in sin. BUT, when those same women had 4 children in less than 4 years they felt God had spoken to them 'because of health issues' or some other reason and either had their tubes tied or hubby's had vasectomies. One lady gave the excuse that being pregnant caused her to have gallbladder troubles. Unfortunately, their judging of others came back to be a bad witness later. Better they had shared, lovingly, and then let God do the convicting if it was HIS will!

Another young mother claimed that if you had labor PAIN, you were not right with God. 'SHE' read in Genesis that the curse put upon woman was childbirth pain and she was determined that if anyone had labor pains, they were not right with God. After the birth of her next child, she stopped posting at all.

These are pretty off the wall examples but all of those people were VERY critical of those of us who didn't 'hear' the same thing they felt they had heard from God.

Diane

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How about answering.... Where ever HE leads, I'll go!

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes a person who is saved (inward) also wants to conform to the image of what he THINKS is "christianity" (outward).

Sadly, that outward christianity has nothing to do with the heart, just the mores of a particular sect of christians. So, some time later, when they see "the emperor has no clothes" and the legalism or standards of that sect are NOT biblical, they develop their own personal walk with God . . and often leave the sect.

I see the bankruptcy of that legalistic outlook in seeing the pastors/leaders who also "don't last" and turn from the system.

13. Walls

Walls New Member

donnA, that was well said and definetly worth noting.

Diane, based on that I would never imagine that I would ever be right with God. :eek: I am sure what you have described would be the best case scenario, but not pratical in every situation.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Me too Walls! A woman never forgets the pain of childbirth even 26 years later! :eek:

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Very good observation. Yes, I've seen baby Christians get "pulled" by established Christians. We need to remember that everyone is different, and there is no "standard" for personal spiritual growth. It would be best to leave the growth rate up to God.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well said Dr. Bob

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thansk you Walls, I am glad we can agree on something.

18. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

It only happens to the ones whose heart is right where God wants it to be. I would hope that they continue upward, always pleasing to Him, never failing to do that which is right in His eyes. [​IMG]

19. Walls

Walls New Member

Thanks donnA,

I am not all that pig headed as some may think!