1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is there a Resurgence of Reformed Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010.

?
  1. Signs of the last days, false teaching has arisen

22.2%
  2. Dumbed-down shallow Theology is being rejected

55.6%
  3. Rejection of Arminian and/or Pelagian/Semi-pelagianism and the blurring of both

29.6%
  4. An honest look back on ones own salvation experience leads them this way

33.3%
  5. It Exalts the Sovereignty and Grace of God

51.9%
  6. Dissatisfaction with the Theology I/we grew up with

37.0%
  7. John Piper

14.8%
  8. Distribution of Puritan Writings on the rise have contributed to this

11.1%
  9. The "free will of man" teaching diminishes Gods Sovereignty

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wise words from Dr. Peter Masters of Metropolitan Tabernacle Baptist Church, London:

The Sword and the Trowel

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It must be noted that Dr. Masters' disagreement is not with Calvinism (or reformed theology). His disagreement is what he (and some others) sees as a distortion of Calvinism.

Historic Calvinism relies heavily on the Regulative Principle for its formulation of worship. Hence his disdain for "rock" music. He views this as a lack of separation from worldliness and that is leading him to condemn the New Calvinism as something other than true Calvinism.

His charges are false and, again, it must be understood that he is not saying Reformed theology in itself is shallow. He is misunderstanding the New Calvinism and that misunderstanding is leading him to criticize what he is obviously not fully understanding.

The Archangel

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This is exactly why my thread on personal holiness was ripped to shreds by some on here. At least it was ripped to shreds in their minds, but really what they did was rip to shreds what God desires them to do after salvation. This too is a trend. They divorce themselves from personal piety because they are so heady.

It is sad that these folks misunderstand personal practical holiness and try to tie this important part of the Christian life to salvation experience only, in other words, we were made holy at salvation, then they toss out the imperatives for those that are bought to live holy given throughout the Scriptures.

Some even accused me of being pelagian for no more than quoting passages wherein we are commanded to live differently, to live holy, to be holy, and to practice holiness. I was told I practice holiness to assure my position in Christ. Not hardly, and not at all.

Why do people attack this? Because their religion and their god is their theology and they want nothing to do with walking in holiness before God, equating it to monasticism, instead of admitting that this is a biblical imperative all throughout the NT. They are simply religious and their god is their theological standpoint.

It's quite odd such heady theologs can't distinguish between positional, or practical holiness. Or is it because they don't want to?

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My answer to the title question is very simple. Because its cool. And Sproul sells more books and bible studies than non reformed people. And Francis Scheaffer died a while back

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like the Guinness Commercial ....BRILLIANT! :laugh:

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

7. preacher4truth

Brother, hang it up. You're way out of line with your accusations.

I stated extra biblical books are inspired and just as good as His Word? Hilarious. Uh, no, you came up with that accusation all on your lonesome. It's shameful you resort to eisegetical accusatory, inflammatory remarks.

:laugh: :thumbsup: :wavey:

#47 preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

n
    Are you saying any doctrine but reformed theology is "darkeness"?

I will say the quote by Piper is spot on. Calvinism is attractive to the intellectual, analytical type. I know, because I am one of them. I think the OP is pure speculation, as there is no way to prove this. In fact, I know of at least 4 ex-calvinists on this board. The attractiveness of being lumped together with Spurgeon, Piper, Edwards, Pink, et al is enticing.

#48 webdog, Dec 16, 2010
  9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you ask the similar question to Robert Snow who said:

Get him to answer and take him on on his answer and then I'll answer your question.

Blessings,

The Archangel

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not in your spitting match with Robert...I asked you. There is a huge difference between unsound doctrine and "darkness". Believing a baby needs to be baptized is unsound doctrine. What do you mean by "darkness"?

11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why, then, are you intent on having a "spitting" match with me? Get Robert to answer, take him on concerning his answer, then, and only then, will I answer your question.

By the way, I do not believe a baby needs to be baptized and many Calvinists do not believe babies need to be baptized.

The Archangel

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Getting away from the sniping that is too common in these discussions, there are some really intriguing things going on in relation to the Reformed movement.

One of the things that I would enjoy hearing from some of the Reformed camp about their views on the New Covenant theology movement. It is a unique blending of positions, particularly eschatologically. Anyhoo, maybe that will help get us back on track...I dunno...:)

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost seven years on this board and you as well as others are STILL coming up with this junk.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not "spitting"...I asked you a question. What you have going on between the two of you has no bearing on you referring to everything but your doctrine as "darkness". Scripture defines darkness as absence of Christ, judgment and impurity (Eph. 5:11). Do you agree, and is this what you meant?

15. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have told you the basis for me supplying an answer to your question. You have not met the requirements for me to answer.

The Archangel

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are not the authority on the BB, and your reply is actually quite childish. I'm surprised it's coming from you. I dont' have to do anything for you to qualify a statement, one that questions the salvation of most on this board. Based on your non answer I will take it that is exactly what you meant, then.

17. preacher4truth

I see, as well as others, this elitist attitude among Calvinists.

To ascribe other theological slants (those orthodox views that are conservative) as darkness is unfortunate.

Many of the Sovereign churches I have attended become so thematic, that every text, every sermon is election, predestination, Calvinism, week after week after week.

Our theology shouldn't become our God. Shamefully, it has. If anything becomes our God other than He Himself, it turns ugly, and instead of God working through us, that new god we have set on a pedestal consumes us and controls us. Although I believe in Reformed theology, I will not become thematic about it.

I started these threads to become informed about it (reformed theology.) Instead of this, we have brothers come on here and accuse others, myself namely, among others as being "pelagian" or believing my works assist Christ. Then we have one who says all others, by implication, are in darkness. We have people feigning repentance while at the same time pasting anothers statements in an attempt to slam the person while doing so, and it is foolishly called wise by unthinking persons. Cheap shots on others because they don't agree with one's theology. Personal attacks on threads and in private. Accusations that I hold other writings as high and as valuable as the Scriptures, and that I hold them as inspired.

These are the things that prove people are more in love with themselves, and more in love with their personal theologies, more in love with hating the brethren (to wit, the Scripture speaks highly against such attitude, and is very suggestive) instead of being in love with the Christ who shed His precious, holy blood for their sins.

I am amazed that persons that claim themselves to be Christian can spout off accusations, slanders, out-right lies, upon other brothers, the witch hunt mantra "I can tell how he writes his posts he's a false teacher" bologna, and yet go on with life as if nothing happened. It's funny, I wonder has God even disciplined you as He will a true son over doing these things, or do we just go on, undisciplined, as if we are fatherless and not His? It is a total, undeniable shame, and those who have slandered and accused need to get their hearts right with their brother and their God over it.

Who cares about your theology. Your slanders, mouths, and lies show who really controls you. Our theology is meaningless when our lives are denying it, and it is being denied right here for all to see on BB.

- Blessings to all

#57 preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010
  18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I see just the opposite.

Since the world is devolving, as evidenced by the above verse, I expect the church likewise to become more lukewarm as time goes on. Think of Laodice.

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    An answer to the question: Are you saying any doctrine but reformed theology is "darkeness"? Posed by Webdog (here)

The reason for answering this question without Webdog engaging Robert Snow is this: Some friends, preacher4truth, to be specific, is being caused to stumble by my refusal to answer Webdog (see here). So, since he misunderstood my post and my refusal to answer and since I do not desire to be a stumbling block and since I do not desire to cause people to sin, I will answer Webdog's question.

Before I answer the question, I will answer this post by Webdog:

Of course, I am not "the" authority or even an authority on the BB. But, neither are you. And, as such, you have no right to demand an answer to any one of your questions and you have no expectation of such an answer.

The reason for my statement answering this question by stating "Why is there a resurgence in Reformed Theology? Because light is breaking into darkness. Soli Deo Gloria." (see here) is this: Robert Snow stated the exact antithesis to this (here) when he said:

Now, consider what Paul calls contrary to sound doctrine:
    [9] understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers,
    [10] the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, (1 Timothy 1:9-10 ESV; emphasis mine)
    So, for Robert Snow to say that Calvinsts do not hold sound doctrine is to call them "Lawless." "Murderers." "Sexually Immoral." "Liars." It is to call all Calvinists "non-believers."

And yet, Webdog and the other Arminian-types say nothing!

So, it is fine for an Arminian to question the salvation of every Calvinist on this board and it seemingly gains hearty approval. Yet, when a Calvinist says something more cryptic that appears to question salvation, it is a crime. This is a perfect example of a double standard

It simply will not do for Arminians to question a Calvinist's salvation and it simply will not do for a Calvinist to question an Arminian's salvation, though many Arminians do question the salvation of Calvinists all the time.

If one is going to rail against Calvinists seeming to question the salvation of Arminians, one must also rail against Arminians questioning the salvation of Calvinists.

As To The Statement Itself:

I in no way, shape, or form question the salvation of Arminians. Do I think their understanding is clear? No. Do I think there is a deficiency in their theology? Yes. Does that inclarity or deficiency mean that they are not Christians? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I have many, many Arminian friends who, frankly, are better Christians than I am. I hope their understanding becomes fuller and they bask in the Sovereignty of God. I hope the light of deeper theology breaks into the "darkness" of what I understand to be a superficial theology--even if these beloved Arminian brothers and sisters do not become Calvinists. But, are they Christians? Absolutely, and I am proud to call them my brothers and sisters in Christ--something many Arminian-types here seem not to be willing to do.

A word to the wise (both Calvinists and Arminians) should be sufficient.

Here endeth the lesson.

The Archangel

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We believe in the five great points commonly known as Calvinistic; but we do not regard those five points as being barbed shafts which we are to thrust between the ribs of our fellow-Christians." —Charles Spurgeon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.