1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Is This Considered Bigoted?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why Is This Considered Bigoted?

I don't condone the use of the term "hate" when refering to people. So I don't like his "I hate...people" statement. I believe that we should only use the term "hate" when we are talking sin, the devil, or something like that. However I don't see how this guy's statement can be called bigoted? Homosexuality is a behavior not race or gender.

I think the guy stated what he really thinks, is that a crime? It should not be. I think we should all hate homosexuality (and all sin).

#1 Martin, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's bigoted because it focuses not on a type of behavior but a class of individuals.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I believe it to be a misapplication of the word in this instance.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's true - he doesn't say he hates people who act gay or look gay, but are gay.

or

Yes, he is saying honestly how he feels, but his feelings are bigoted against gay people. Without knowing the individual, he dislikes him and thinks he should not be allowed in the USA.

#4 Daisy, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Sodomy is a type of behavior. I suppose sodomites are a class of people based on their unnatural behavior, akin to saying pedophiles are a class of people. However, Hardaway's statement was not bigoted, for Hardaway was not basing his view from a religious foundation nor was he being intolerant of the opinions of others but rather expressing his own opinions on the topic. Though he misrepresented the word "bigot" Amaechi wasn't even bigoted for he called the comments honest etc. Perhaps you could say Hardaway was bigoted for he did not want to share a locker with a sodomite and thus infringes on the sodomites beliefs but then you'd have to say Amaechi would be a bigot as well, for he would perhaps desire to be able to share the locker and thus would be intolerant of Hardaway's natural beliefs. The definite bigots would be David Stern and the NBA. The individual that spoke out in favor of being a sodomite was tolerated, the individual that spoke out against sodomy was not tolerated.

big·ot (bĭg'ət) Pronunciation Key
    n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ. (American Heritage Dictionary)​

BIG''OT, n. 1. A person who is obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, practice or ritual. The word is sometimes used in an enlarged sense, for a person who is illiberally attached to any opinion, or system of belief; as a bigot to the Mohammedan religion; a bigot to a form of government. (Webster's 1828)​

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

Wikipedia

Based on this definition Hardaway is a bigot. Jesus was a bigot toward those who rejected Him. God continues this bigotry today. Christ was intolerant of a class of people (those who rejected Him and denied who He was), the unbelieving class. He made it known they were condemned so long as they continued to reject Him.

Or could iot be said He was intolerant of their behavior? Maybe it is true that to reject ungodly & sinnful behavior and refuse to recieve it as acceptable is not to reject the person.

The term bigot is misused as a tool to achieve political goals.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He didn't say he hates men who commit sodomy (which some straight men do with women, by the way). He said he hates gays.

Homosexuality is not simple behavior. A person who is erotically attracted only to members of the same sex and who are unaroused by members of the opposite sex are homosexual, whether they are active sexually or completely chaste.

A pedophile who never, ever acts on his inclination is unlikely to reveal it.

"Bigot" is the correct term.

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance Merriam -Webster

He's intolerant of gays' existence.

"I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

That's like saying Rosa Parks was bigotted for being intolerant of Jim Crow.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Which he apologized for.

Sin begins in the heart. Whether they desire it or do the deed, they are what they are.

Are you not obstinately devoted to your opinions and prejudices? That definition makes most of the world bigots.

If "it" is sodomy, I don't like it either and it shouldn't be in the world or in the United States.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Then don't do it.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure I would consider homosexuals a "class". I would put them in the behavior grouping (w/ fornicators, drunks, liars, gossips, etc, etc).

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The two, generally, can be one and the same. I am sure there are homosexuals out there who don't go as far as actual sodomy (sorry for that wording) but they still do thinks that are considered homosexual behaviors. A homosexual is a person who behaves in a homosexual manner.

==Biblically speaking I am not sure I agree with that broad definition. A person can have attractions/temptations and not act on it. A person who is tempted to drink is not a drunk, a person who is tempted to fornicate is not a fornicator, a person who is tempted to lie is not a liar, a person who is tempted with homosexuality is not a homosexual. If they take it further than temptation (ie..they move into action or lust) then it is homosexuality and it is a sin.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Of course you would. Doesn't make you right, but you could.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

maybe he was using "hate" the way God did in referring to people...

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Scripture does the same thing, so, I am right because I am following the Scriptures (see Romans 1:26-32 and 1Corinthians 6:9-10).

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The treatment of Hardaway is interesting to me for those actually wanting to talk about this issue. Do you think those with similar viewpoints are going to say anything NOW! How can their be dialog if one side is lambasted for saying what they actually think?

It is just funny to me how everyone is for freedom of expression, until someone expresses something they don't like.

BTW I would be willing to listen to John Amichai if he didn't come off as such an arrogant (p)ass every time he talked. Don't talk down to me, talk at me

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why shouldn't someone be allowed to say he hates gays ?
    That's the way he feels about it, let the gays and lesbos live with it.
    Those who don't like their lifestyles have to live with the fact that they are here, right ?
    What. Tolerance is a one way street ?

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You know, I just have nothing more to say to you people on this subject.

Fred Phelp's influence is a lot wider than I thought.

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

"Gay" or "homosexual" is not a class of people, but a class of behavior.

Having said that, Hardaway's comments are inexcusable.

19. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What is a "homosexual manner"? How much time is spent actully engaging in that manner and how much doing thing everyone else does (working, eating, sleeping) - yet the person is defined by what they do that small percentage of their total time.

An alcoholic is considered an alcoholic whether they're still drinking or on the wagon. People are considered heterosexual whether they've actually done it or not, if their erotic desires focus on the opposite sex. Well, goose, gander.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Did anyone say that Hardaway couldn't say what he said - was he punished for it or did he just have to hear the reaction?

This reminds me of the Nazis marching through Skokie - freedom of (abhorrent) speech.

I can see the objection to Hardaway's speech as bigotry only as far as bigotry is associated with hypocrisy. He was not being a hypocrite. But I don't think that was the sense of the word when it was applied to Hardaway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.