1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Is This Considered Bigoted?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one here is a Fred Phelps fan, to the best of my knowledge.
    I certainly will not picket a funeral and shout the stupidities he shouts.

However, tolerance is a two way street.

If homos and lesbos demand that they be tolerated and that people live with the fact that they are here, then they in turn should learn to live with the fact that the world will have those who do not like them at all, either personally or lifestyle-wise.

Saying you hate someone for being what he is is should not be an issue.
    Killing someone for being a homo or a lesbo is something else.

I hate abortionists, but I will not kill them, nor will I picket their funerals.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardaway's comments create a difficult situation for supporters of free speech, as does anyone's comments that are filled with ignorance and hostility. It is difficult to imagine anything good resulting from what was said, but he can't be silenced, though ignoring it might not be such a bad idea.

Having listened to the interview, it seems to have been a throw in question at the end of the interview, was Dan LeBetard (sp) looking for a certian answer "Hey whatever he does is his business" or "I think it's great" or did he really want honest thoughts? Was he trying to pump up the volume for a book that BTW is published by ESPN, who LeBetard works for in addition to his newspaper work?

What also is a factor that can't be seperated from this conversation is that Ameachi was not precieved to be all that popular of a teammate while in the NBA. Do we have to like him just because he is gay?

tragic - don't opt out; just looking for some conversation here.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

"Like" is not the key. In a democratic society, which this claims to be, each human being has the right to exist whether you "like" them or not.

Hating people is a sin, and while Jesus never talked about homosexuality, He had quite a bit to say about the sin of hatred.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardaway, whether he intended to or not, struck quite a blow against phony political correctness.:applause:

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Did you forget that Romans 1 is still in the Bible? 1 Cor 6:9-10? Genesis 2:18-25? There are many places that the Bible, God's revelation, talks about homosexuality.

So clearly, Jesus did talk about it, unless you want to contend that Jesus wasn't God.

Furthermore, Jesus' position on marriage (one man and one woman) shows his condemnation of alternatives, be they homosexual or heterosexual.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Nice hoops, Larry.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right about a democratic society, but a democratic society is made up of human (demos) beings which whether you like it or not, will be ruled by fallen emotions.
    Besides, living in a democratic society does not necessarily mean we have to "like", or "love", each other.
    We can tolerate each other, but if somebody shoots his mouth then there are three ways to deal with it: ignore it, think about it, or shoot your mouth back.
    Does the guy hate the other in such a way as we construe hate to be ?
    Or is it simply a way of saying, "I don't like him".
    I think the latter is what Hardaway is saying.
    In a democratic society one should be able to say what he wants without losing his job, or some sort of position, as I understand is what happened to Hardaway, except when what he says physically threatens the other, and is illegal.
    There's nothing illegal about what he said, is there ?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

• Was Hardaway wrong to say, "I hate gays?" Yep.
    • Is he free in this country to do so without governmental suppression? Should be.
    • Is his employer/folks around him free in this country to criticize him? yep.
    • Should he be protected from the consequences of his statements? nope--except that he should be protected from illegal acts of retribution.
    • Should a Christian say, "I hate ____(any group of people)___________?" nope.
    • Is Hardaway a Christian? No idea.
    • Should a Christian say, "Homosexual behavior is a sin?" Absolutely. That's being consistent with the scriptural record...both OT and NT address it quite clearly.

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Nice dodge tragic.

Fact is that Jesus (The Word) had much to say about Sodomites.

I refuse to use the politically correct terms for that perverted behaviour and those who promote it.

This man was not bigotted. It is the Sodomites who changed the proper use of the word. Bigot is a person who is unreasonably wedded to an opinion. A bigotted person is unreasonable in their beliefs or opinions concerning people of another group. This basketball player is obviously not unreasonable. He has very valid concerns and opinnions.

I share his opinions and for very valid reasons.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

TP,

What do you mean by "nice hoops"? Are you denying that the Bible is God's word? Or that Jesus is God? Or that the Bible doesn't say anything about homosexuality? We can address any of these, but I need to know what you object to.

There is simply no legitimate way to say that Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. It denies the deity of Christ or the inspiration of Scripture. And it creates a "canon within a canon," where the words of Jesus become more important than anything else in Scripture. Either way, there are serious and destructive theological and moral implications.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amen Larry, amen.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe "nice hoops" meant you had a slam-dunk post.
    [​IMG]

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I knew there was a reason I didn't want to pursue this further.

I gave an honest answer, and got a flurry of posts about why it's OK to hate people because the Bible says it's Ok to hate them.

Jesus walked the earth. Jesus said stuff. the stuff Jesus said was important. One of the things Jesus said was that hate was bad.

With that, I am well and truly done.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

If you'll notice, my post plainly stated my problem with anyone saying, "I hate (fill in the people here)."

However, stating that someone's behavior is sinful is in no way an indication of hate.

In my opinion, speaking the truth to someone--that their behavior is wrong in the sight of God--is less "hateful" than telling him or her that their behavior is okay, when it is not.

The statement, "homosexuality is sinful" is in no way hateful. It is truthful.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since you claim to be reformed, "Jacob I loved, Esau I hated" is one of the biggies quoted by your kind, isn't it? Reformers believe God hates the reprobate, don't they? You must hold to an unorthodox reformed position...

16. johnk48

johnk48 New Member

Excellent point Pastor Larry. I find it very strange that so many fellow Christians think that the words of Jesus are more important than the rest of His Word. Every jot and tittle is His Word ( the mind of Christ revealed to those He had pen His Word ) .

As for hating. We are called upon to hate the sin but love the sinner. It's sin to hate homosexuals but right to hate their homosexual behavior. I think any normal guy would hate to have homosexuals in the locker room with them or have to tip-toe around them fearing one may slip and commit some rediculous hate crime--at least made to look like a hate crime by some liberal.
    I love liberals, but I hate their mind-set and worldview. I love people involved in Reformed theology, but I hate some of their doctrine. I love charismatics, but I hate much of their theology-- and on and on it goes. Makes me wonder if wrong theology is a sin. It does have the potential to do more damage than most obvious sins.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Where is your Scriptural support? Scripture identifies homosexuality as a behavior.

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

rbell,

Good post :thumbs:

Was Hardaway speaking from Scripture?

Martin, if someone self-indentifies as homosexual yet does not engage in sexual activity, are you going to tell him he's wrong?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If he self-identifies as a homosexual, even without engaging in sex with another person, he has still committed the sin of homosexual lust and sexual attraction, and that is a behavior.

And Hardaway is totally wrong to have said it as he did.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since I don't think I have ever met such a person I am really not sure. However if they wish to id themselves as a homosexual then I guess they are. However Scripturally speaking I don't think they fit unless they are acting out on those feelings (lust, or actual behavior).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.