1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Is This News?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is this news? What professor would allow a college student to turn in a history paper with wikipedia as a source? I like what one professor said:

Amen to that. If I ever had a student who used wikipedia as a source, well, lets just say I would count off some points for that :laugh: . Maybe the modern academic climate is so bad that a professor/instructor needs to put in their syllabus that wikipedia is not a source.

SOURCE

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

the only way I see that we'll discredit wikipedia as the focal point of research that every student is if we come in and sabotage all the information on the site....but we must also realize that ultimately the goal is to compress billions of books of information into the smallest of possible sizes since it will carry the other goal of evolving children into being able to memorize and process all of that information at once and even moreso.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

It's not. But the message I entered is to short.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The thing to do is use the sources at the bottom of the Wiki page to start or supplement your research. The ideal Wiki pages have no original writings, but list every source (too few are ideal) and link to most of them.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==O, I agree 100%! In fact I use wikipedia to find sources sometimes. There is nothing in the world wrong with using it for that or for getting a general overview of a subject. However a college level student using it as a source in a college history paper, or any other kind of college paper, is not something any professor/instructor should be willing to accept. :thumbs:

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It might make a good project to create or expand a Wiki page (sourced and footnoted as per the Wiki FAQ). Wiki maintains a history of changes, so it should be trackable.