1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Isn't This Racism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mes228, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mes228

mes228 New Member

I know that every Black person I have spoken to is voting for Obama. Seems every Black entertainer and athlete from Ophra to Bartley is voting for Obamma and vigorously promoting him. Personally I believe that it would not matter what his positions, abilities, or oratory skills. Nearly 100% of all Blacks would still support a Black for President - no matter what. If you switched this around and said every White person was going to vote against him because he was Black - it clearly would be a racist position. I posit that we are watching a most racist election. Some percent of Blacks voting for Obamma must be clearly racist. I don't feel who it is, no one carries almost 100% of a voting racial block on ability or position. I believe that the shoe is on the other foot now, Blacks as a whole are showing themselves to be more racist than Whites. I'm not saying I won't vote for him by the way. I've voted Republican all my life, however I think overall, we've had really bad government of the greedy for the wealthy. Just an observation and posting it here probably paints me a racist. No offense intended.

#1 mes228, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

White people didn't say they were going to vote for a white man, because every candidate running WAS a white man. Well, for the first time in U.S. history, a black man has a very definite chance of winning. Isn't it understandable, then, that blacks would want something that has never happened before to maybe come true?
    Is it right to vote based only on race, and not for the best candidate? Definitely not! But it is understandable.

love,

Sopranette

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are you saying that everyone doesn't have the right to vote for whomever they chose? If they don't vote the way you think they should you're calling it racism?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would disagree with you on a few counts:
    • I wouldn't say that Obama (one "m," not two) is carrying 100% of the black vote. Majority? Yes. But not "near 100%.
    • Your statement: " Blacks as a whole are showing themselves to be more racist than Whites" is inflammatory and unprovable. On what basis do you base this...Oprah and Bartley (whoever that is)?
    • I'm not an Obama supporter, by any means...he's far too left for me. But I'm also not going to pretend to understand why someone votes for him. For you--or anyone--to say, "Oh, you're voting for candidate x because of race" does carry racial undertones, like it or not. Why? Because you've put yourself in the place of judging motives...something you simply cannot do accurately.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

First off, out of the gate, two of the individuals I believe you are referring to are Sen. Barack Obama, not "Obamma", and 'entertainer' Oprah Winfrey, not "Ophra". I honestly have no clue who you are referring to as "Bartley".

If your theory were correct, would not Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton, Rep. Julian Bond, Sen. Carol Mosley Braun and Amb. Alan Keyes all have done better in their presidential runs? I seem to recall all of the above running for President, and not getting very far along in that pursuit. And BTW, I voted for Amb. Keyes for President in the primary in my state in 2000.

Further, I seem to recall many wanting (then) Gen., later Sec'y. Colin Powell to run, as well, in 2000, although he did not become a candidate. Conventional wisdom was that he would have been an extremely strong candidate.

Conventional wisdom also held that Sen. Obama was no real challenger for Sen. Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, as well, about eight months ago, and also that Sen. John McCain was now going nowhere fast and that the real race for the Republican nomination would be between Mayor Rudy Guiliani, Gov. Mitt Romney, and Sen. Fred Thompson. (Gov. Mike Who?? Never heard of him!) :rolleyes:

Last I checked, "conventional wisdom" was wrong, yet once again, as Sen. McCain is most likely going to be the nominee of the Republicans, and Sen. Obama certainly appears to have an extremely good chance to get the nomination of the Democrats.

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

this board is so white

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sure it is racism. If it were the other way around it would be racism. At least 50 percent or more of whites are voting for Obama, so they are not the ones being racist.
    If if walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, you got yourself a duck.

BBob,

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an idiot understanding of the OP.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

huh??

So...voting for someone who shares your pigmentation is racist?

:confused:

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Don't worry rbell,

Brother Bob has thrown away all his common decency and common sense to say and do whatever he can to sling mud at Obama. It's been seen on the board before and it will surely be seen again and again.

There is no reasoning with him on it...

Jamie

11. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It's not right or understandable to vote based on race.

Some black people have said he's not the black candidate. They see Bill Clinton as the first "black" President.

Obama's mother was white.

If black people want a true black man as President they would vote for Alan Keyes.

Alan Keyes for President - America's Revival

12. mes228

mes228 New Member

Obama

I do apologize for all the errors in spelling. As a general statement, it's been my personal experience that white people are less racist than many other groups I've been around, worked with, or became friends with. But then again most white people are too politically correct to be truthful with themselves when it comes to race. Some posting here think they are not racist, I suggest you take a class on racism and learn the truth. Everyone is a racist, no exceptions. The most important thing is to recognize that you are a racist, guard against overt actions based on race, and don't let "race" pervert judgement or justice. As an aside, the most overt racist people I've encountered were Native Americans (can't say it isn't justified), Blacks, Mexican and Korean. Many American Indians truly despise white people - if you can get to know them well enough, that they are open about it. It's neither here nor there, I just think it interesting that a vast, vast majority of Blacks are locked into Obama and it's not seen as racial at all. I won't post any more about this as it's just too divisive and politically incorrect.

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Tell me why it matters to a Christian which racial group is the most racist?

We are commanded to be different!

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Horsefeathers.

Definition of racism: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." (Webster)

I don't believe that (inherent genetic superiority of a race) at all. Many people I know...if not most...don't believe that.

I find it interesting that your experience allows you to make blanket commentary that covers entire races of people. I find your statements troubling.

Well, you've got the "incorrect" part right.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

voting for a white because he is white like you, yes it is racist. Whites are less racist because color did not matter to them.

voting for a black, because he is black like you, yes it is racist.

What else could it be.

BBob,

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You wouldn't know the truth if it hit you in the face.

BBob,

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

But you put yourself in the seat of judgement with your post earlier. You said:

My point: You don't know why folks are voting for any particular candidate...unless they honestly tell you. And for you to assume a black person votes for another black candidate based on race, without any information to back it up, is wrong. It's falsely accusing someone of something for which you have no evidence.

I may be misunderstanding you....if so, my apologies.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Double post!

#18 EdSutton, Feb 15, 2008
  19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, I am going to deny being "racist", in the sense you mean, but would offer that I see this post as extremely judgmental, to say the least.

Consider these quotes:

"...it's been my personal experience that white people are less racist than many other groups I've been around..."
    "...most white people..."
    "Some posting here think they are not racist, I suggest you take a class on racism and learn the truth."
    "Everyone is a racist, no exceptions."
    "The most important thing is to recognize that you are a racist,..."
    "...the most overt racist people I've encountered ..."

Ed sez - :rolleyes:

Ed

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He said that blacks are more racist than most white people.
    It is true and wonder why you think he is a racist for saying the truth.
    Political correctness, makes me sick, for it is hypocritical. It is being a politican and saying whatever it takes to get the votes. The same is true among us. Some think that makes them a "real" hero, to say they are not racist. There is probably some racism in all people. Its the truth, the blacks know it, we should learn to live with it, instead of giving away the farm.

BBob,

#20 Brother Bob, Feb 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.