1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why join/fellowship with a group you do NOT agree with?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Enoch, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Enoch

Enoch New Member

In my online experience I have joined a few message boards that reflect my personal beliefs. I was purposeful in joining something I agree with, wanting to fellowship with likeminded people.

Yet I notice that certain people join a board they do not agree with and continue to post divisive and pessimistic comments. And when a majority of their posts are not in agreement with the general attitude and beliefs of the board, I wonder. Why? Why did they join and want gratification do they receive?

As a Christian I could find plenty of places on the net that I do not agree with yet I would never join their boards for the sake of posting my opinions and that I disagree. Maybe I would just read some opinions on a board that I did not agree with to get a better understanding for people in general. And when I do read message boards that are not in agreement with my personal beliefs it does not make me angry or want to post back with words that I consider to be “truth”. It would be wrong imo on a board where these types of thinkers have decided to share their like-minded ideas and beliefs and I respect that.

Maybe a Pastor would understand this more because perhaps this happens in the Church as well. This is a general question and I felt there are many wise Christians on this board who could open my eyes and heart to understand this more. Thank you!

2. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I don't consider myself exceptionally wise, but I thought I'd stick my oar in. [​IMG]

Sometimes I think people do it because they think they can change the minds of all these people, or they think it will help them in their witnessing or something . . . I've been on a few myself and it only caused me to be frustrated and disheartened.

I indeed prefer a place like this where most of us agree on all the important things.

3. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Or some people are soo unhappy, they will go to ANY extreme to make others feel as miserable as they are.

NOT everyone is honestly looking for truth, just an argument.

Debating is not the same, but can quickly get out of hand.AS long as our focus is on the Lord, it won't.

You just have to keep looking for the right place for you.

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Iron Sharpens Iron.

If a person cannot defend their position then maybe they need to rethink it.

I find that disagreements on the threads many times helps me to refine and rethink my own positions.

5. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I don't like this statement...

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to spend time sharing and reading on line, you should have a general interest in the subject and a LOT in common with the folks who participate.

This being a conservative, Baptist board, I was immediately attracted to it.

But I think I've driven more away who AREN'T conservative or Baptist . . . :rolleyes:

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Trolls hit any board on the internet, it gives them a sense of power to make up for the fact that their lives have not turned out to be what they may have hoped.

Boards need to have strict guidelines and be closley moderated, and usually you can eliminate a number of those who seek only to sow discord.

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, in this line of thought just look at the non-Baptist forums. Baptist doctrine is often mocked in them. I see what you are saying. Why go somewhere for the sole purpose of debating and putting down the general beliefs of the area. Why are so many non-Baptists allowed to degrade Baptists in the other forums? I was just wondering that myself.

In Christ,

Brooks