1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why McCain Is Going So Negative

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://news.aol.com/elections/artic...e/172718?icid=200100397x1209475590x1200563216

This seems strange logic, Obama won't agree to a series of town meetings, so it is all right to lie about him.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is not clear that the ladies on the View are the best source of truth, nor is it clear that McCain is engaged in egregious lies. It is likely that both campaigns will shade any truth their own way. You have Whoopi wondering if she should worry about slavery. How dumb can you be? McCain should have questioned what sort of thinking spawned that question. Instead, he pandered to her pretending like it was a good question. It was perhaps the dumbest line ever uttered on TV, and that was a pretty low bar to start with.

However, Obama has been negative for a long time, so I wonder why you are questioning only McCain.

It is unfortunate that Obama, pledging to change the system, wont' agree to change the system by having town hall meetings. He is simply more of the same old liberalism we have been stuck with for many years and will get more of the same from either of these two, though McCain is clearly a better choice by a wide margin.

3. targus

targus New Member

What was actually said on the TV show in question...

In the harshest moments of the show, co-host Joy Behar grilled McCain about two campaign ads released this week that imply Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama was insulting GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin when he used the phrase "lipstick on a pig" during a stump speech and another ad that suggested Obama wanted to teach sex education to kindergartners.

"We know these ads are lies," said Behar. "But you say 'I approve these messages.' Do you really approve them?"

"Actually, they are not lies," answered McCain before being interrupted by Barbara Walters

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2...5789451&page=1

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

A bit surprised to the title of thread - the negative is going both ways.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be a town hall meeting - October 7 in Nashville, Tennessee.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea exactly

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't find it surprising coming from Crabtownboy. He is one of the most vocal defenders of Obama on the site with a vested interested in making McCain look as bad as possible.

Of course, he has counterparts supporting McCain as well. Perhaps he considers it fair play that if one side misrepresents the other, then the other side is permitted to do it back.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, they are both guilty of being negative ads but McCain has done some recent ads that were out right lies. Not stretching, twisting or masking the truth, just out right a lie. Not even partly true.

That is what the outcry is over McCain.

Example... i just saw an add saying Obama will raise everyone's taxes. I read where an economist from a major university reviewed both candidates plans and it's now a fact, McCain plan will raise our taxes more than Obama...

This is the only close to bipartisan link I can find andit's not by the university but it says unless you make over $600K a year, obama will give you the biggest tax break. http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=20394

@Pastor = That's why I looked for a bipartisan link... I knew someone would say it was biased choice but I say it on one of the fact check clips where they said if the ads were true or false. That one is definitely an outright lie.

#8 LeBuick, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Must be a fact cuz there's no chance that a professor from a major university, the hotbed of liberalism in this country, would say something that wasn't true.

I highly doubt that either of them are saying things that are outright false. As I say, I think they are guilty of stretching the truth.

Consider Obama who says he will cut the taxes of 95% of American families. Newsflash: He is lying. The number of American families that pay taxes is not 95%. So he can't cut taxes on 95% of American families. Yet his supporters just swallow this hook line and sinker.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

At the end of the day this is PAU - politics as usual. It happens every election and every election people whinge about it.

Seems like eventually we would get used to it.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Letting the Bush tax cuts expire is a tax increase. And calling McCain a liar is just politcal posturing with no substance.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And the reverse is true as well.

It is all just plain politics.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yep:thumbs:

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

[​IMG]

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay - mark this down - at 22.15 IST (17.15 EDT) on the 13th of September, C4K and Revmitchell agreed on something. A watershed moment on the BB :) !

#16 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    on the 13th of September - looks like the
    # "13" is the lucky number for the two of you:1_grouphug:

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was the title of the article, not my title.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

When people can click on the link and check your facts, you really should be more careful with them (or at least run for office where this type of stuff is apparently acceptable).

The title of the article appears to be:
    McCain Draws Fire Over His Tactics

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Must have been a judgment call... :thumbs: