1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why no commitment?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Winman, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why is it that those who support the MVs will never absolutely commit to any particular version?

I have never seen one MV ever hold up a NIV and say, "This is the perfect and inerrant Word of God". I have never seen a MV say this about any modern version whether it be the NASB, ESV, NKJV or any other MV.

I have heard MVs claim that all of these various version are all the perfect, inerrant Word of God, but this is a ridiculous argument as they are all very different from each other.

But I have never seen a MV ever commit to one particular MV version. Why not?

On the contrary, there are millions of Christians who will hold up their KJB and proclaim it to be the one and only perfect and inerrant Bible in English.

So, why can't MVs commit to any single version of scripture?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Simple. There is no perfect Han translation.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

What is a "Han" translation, I've never seen this term before.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry, typing on my phone with predictive typing. No perfect human translation.

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman:Why is it that those who support the MVs will never absolutely commit to any particular version?

Simple-GOD isn't committed to any one version, so why should WE be?

On the contrary, there are millions of Christians who will hold up their KJB and proclaim it to be the one and only perfect and inerrant Bible in English.

They're simply incorrect. Several goofs in the KJV have been proven. And I seriously doubt if it's millions who claim it's perfect.. However, there ARE millions of English users who do NOT tryta LIMIT GOD, not trying to dictate to Him how he may or may not present His word in English.

The perfect English version(s) for any English user is/are the one(s) he/she READS-N HEEDS.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gawrsh! I thunk fer a minnit that ya cud reed a HAN DYNASTY version, Roger!

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Show me a verse that says that I have to commit to ONE perfect and inerrant translation in ENGLISH at the exclusion of the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic and I might have to.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are wrong, there are many thousands of KJB only Baptist churches in the USA alone, and many thousands worldwide. And none of them is afraid to hold up their KJB and boldly proclaim it to the the only perfect and inerrant Word of God in the English language.

But I have never known a single MV ever that will hold up a particular MV like the NIV, or NASB, or ESV that will boldly proclaim it to be the only perfect and inerrant version in English. Not one.

I just want to understand why no MV seems to have much faith in their particular version.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Because no group of humans has ever produced a perfect translation. Human researchers make mistakes. Human translators make mistakes. Human typesetters make mistakes. Human printers make mistakes.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To commit or not to commit:that is the question.
    I see no harm if one wishes to commit to a Bible version that one understands better than any other, long as it's a valid one. However, there's NO requirement for such to be found in God's word in any valid version.
    I don't believe either committment or non-committment is wrong.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, but it is God who promised to preserve his Word. Do you believe God is powerful enough to preserve his Word even though He has chosen fallable men to transmit and keep it?

Rom 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
    2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Was God foolish in committing the scriptures to the Jews?

#11 Winman, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yes, of course - but He has never limited Himself to one translation in any language in history. That is a man-made teaching and I won't commit to it.

I praise God for the translating team that gave us the KJT of the scriptures, but they were flawed men. They made mistakes. The typesetters made mistakes. The apprentices at the printers made mistakes. The proofreaders made mistakes.

I thank God for other translators who has given us His word in the English language of the 21st century. They too made mistakes.

I won't commit to any human translation as being without error because none of them are. And yet, in His might and His power, He still preserves His word.

Pretty awesome God, huh?

#12 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 31, 2010
  13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman:You are wrong, there are many thousands of KJB only Baptist churches in the USA alone, and many thousands worldwide.

Not now. The KJVO [snipped by admin] is slowly passing. Sure, there'll continue to be new KJVOs popping up here-n-there, but they'll be far outnumbered by FREEDOM READERS, who are NOT tied down by some man-made false doctrine.

And none of them is afraid to hold up their KJB and boldly proclaim it to the the only perfect and inerrant Word of God in the English language.

And none of them is CORRECT.

But I have never known a single MV ever that will hold up a particular MV like the NIV, or NASB, or ESV that will boldly proclaim it to be the only perfect and inerrant version in English. Not one.

That's cuz we Freedom Readers know that would be a LIE. Most KJVOs don't know any better, so we don't really accuse them of lying; just being INCORRECT.

I just want to understand why no MV seems to have much faith in their particular version.

That's cuz we Freedom Readers are committed to EVERY VALID VERSION of God's word. We don't tryta LIMIT HIM. It's NOT a matter of having "faith" in a fave version-it's about knowing GOD can present His own word ANY WAY HE JOLLY WELL PLEASES. There's NOTHING in His word committing HIM to any one version. Why should YOU do so when the AUTHOR doesn't?

#13 robycop3, Jul 31, 2010
  14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Freedom Readers? :laugh:

The various versions cannot all be valid. God several times warned not to add or diminish from his word. The MVs are based on the CT (with the exception of the NKJV) which has 3000 less Greek words than the RT. Either the CT diminished God's Word, or the RT added to God's Word, but they cannot both be valid no matter how many times you say it.

Do you really believe in your heart that repeating something you know not to be true makes it true? You are not that stupid.

This argument that the KJB and MVs are both valid at the same time needs to be abandoned once and for all, it is a false argument obvious to any honest minded and intelligent person.

So, far I haven't seen one of you MVs commit to any version, just as I originally wrote.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can very comfortably hold up my 4 Bibles that I have on my computer desk and say "These all are God's perfect and inerrant Word." Those four are the NIV, ESV, NASB and the KJV (Oxford Edition).

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course not. All human translations have mistakes, all of them, every single one of them.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hmm, how would you respond if someone typed this:

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Impossible, they are very different.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I would say that God has chosen to limit his word. We are not allowed to add or diminish from it, that is a limitation by definition.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Can you show me where God has limited Himself to one translation for every language?

The thread was about commitment a single translation. The answer is simple - there has never been and never will be a perfect human translation of God's perfect word. If one was to fly their flag at the mast of any one version more power to them, but no translation has ever been perfect in any language. Mistakes are always made in the process.

#20 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 31, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.