1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why not sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Since I now realize that all sins are paid for for every person and that rejecting christ is not a sin and that all we need to do is make a choice, why not sin all we want?

Why not get drunk all I want since that sin is already paid for and the only thing that matters is my choice?

WHat? should we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not believe that we can lose our salvation so I don't worry about that but.....

If I were to be happy to continue to sin, I'd seriously question as to whether or not I really was truly saved since having the Holy Spirit in me would convict me of that sin.

Secondly, while I am saved, I still reap the consequences of sin on this earth. If I get drunk, I can damage my liver, kill someone if I get behind the wheel or do something when my judgment is impaired.

Thirdly, I try to not sin because that would be disobedience to God's commands.

Will I sin? Certainly. Do I try not to sin? Of course! But I'm not sanctified yet. I still struggle with the flesh. But as time goes on, I've learned more and more how to overcome sin and become more like Christ.

3. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Dale, for the same reason Jonah shouldn't have disobeyed the Lord's command to go to Ninevah. Because God beats us with large objects when we sin. We have no joy, no peace. Sin is the cause of all problems, all heart ache. It is a huge hinderance to our joy in the Lord. It limits our effectiveness and thus our ability to obtain future rewards.

And also, out of thankfulness to what God has done for us in Christ.

Also, we are new creatures, and sinning for us is more unnatural then being righteouss. When we sin, we are in anguish as new creatures. When we do righteoussness, we flourish.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Hebrews 12:5-11
    5My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
    6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
    7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
    8But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
    9Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
    10For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
    11Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Chastisement is all the reason not to sin.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would say that is only ONE reason not to sin.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Deleted for reasons of extreme exhaustion.[​IMG]

#6 Palatka51, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  7. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

That's easy.....

Sin and find out!

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Can you explain the part in red? Thanks.

9. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

yes please do?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think Dale is referring to a poster in another thread who says that rejecting Christ is not sin, it's a choice.

Dale does not believe this. But I'm sure he'll answer for himself.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is Christianity to be equated to hedonism?
    When you trust Christ as your Safviour, do you not expect a change in your life?
    If there is no change are you really saved in the first place?
    Is Christianity simply an escape mechanism for Hell? If so you have chosen the wrong religion.
    Is your faith conforming you more and more to the image of Christ? That is its end goal in this life. Did Christ do the things you mentioned--get drunk all he wanted, and live a live of wantoness?

If you can answer these questions, then I am sure that you can answer your OP without any doubt at all.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

.............................:)

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Salvation is NOT a license to sin. We are saved FROM the bondage of sin...not TO sin.
    That's plum dumb, Dale and you know it. Why do you mock God? Is there no conviction in your heart?
    Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Apparently, from what you are saying, you made your choice (even if you don't believe that we have a free will to choose God's way). Your sarcasm and arrogance is showing.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

As Amy said, I do not believe that.
    I also do not believe that salvation is a license to sin.
    If you read my post carefully, you will notice that.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I caught your satire, Dale, and rightly placed. ;)

People opt to believe false teaching - Jesus is not God, universal atonement, salvation is a fire escape so it doesn't matter how we live - and that is truly sad.

And that they are BAPTISTS and that they would publically POST such tripe shows only how the deceiver of the brethren is still working.

16. nunatak

nunatak New Member

So are we Baptists supposed to be for or against universal atonement? I still don't get it.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

the "deceiver of the brethern" doesn't teach universal atonement...the Bible does :)
    I agree with the rest on the list.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seeing that you are new here (welcome if I haven't already done so :)) Dr. Bob is a 5 pointer who believe in limited atonement. He believes universal atonement is a false teaching in the same way I believe limited atonment is a false teaching. The majority of baptists believe in universal atonement, what he referred to as "tripe".

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't confuse him, Webdog. Define the term - universal atonement means that Jesus atoned for every sin of every creature on the cross. They were all on Him and He bore the punishment of them. God's wrath is satisfied by the atonement of His Son.

This leads to the heresy of "universalism" - that all will be saved, since no one can "die in their sins" IF their sins were all paid for.

This is foundational teaching of the Unitarisn/Universalist church, as well as Hindu and some sects of Buddhism.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Red herring. You know the only comparison between universal atonement and universalism is the word universe. Apples and oranges.