1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Pray, Arminian?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So what does prayer DO for the sinner in your system?

Will it avail anything in your system of belief? WHAT does it avail to pray for a sinner?

Will it move God to draw the one who you pray for more times than he draws any other?

#41 Luke2427, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And good questions for the Calvinist too.

What does prayer DO for the sinner in your system?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I answer that in the op and put some good questions to you there too.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because God commands you to? I would say that's why everybody prays, Cal or non Cal alike.

I've always believed that prayer changes us, not God.

5. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

God hears the prayers of the righteous, notice He did not say Calvinist, or Arminian lol:BangHead::godisgood:

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That wasn't all I said in the OP.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Our prayers do not change God, no matter what belief system you observe. God commands us to pray according to His will, not ours.
    When we pray according to His will our prayers are always answered. Jesus said "I will do it".
    Prayer is how we learn to bend our will to His, not how to change His will to ours.

Arguing the differences between the Calvinist prayer and the Arminian prayer is futile and foolish. God has made it clear in His word how and why we are to pray. Your belief system has nothing to do with it.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He didn't say whatever denominatioin you are from either.

For that matter he didn't say Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

He didn't say Americans or Nova Scotians.

What is your point?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So then according to your definition of prayer- prayer really does not change things- it only changes the one who prays, right?

When you pray, "God save Bob," you don't really expect your prayer to move God to do anything for Bob. You just expect that praying for God to save Bob is just good for you, right?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're funny Luke. You know good and well according to Calvinist theology that praying for Bob is useless. Bob was either chosen for salvation at the foundation of the world or he was not. Nothing you pray for will change God's mind on it.

11. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Seems like wherever the word "righteous" is in the bible, you have replaced it in your mind with Calvinist lol :BangHead::laugh::love2::godisgood:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Prayer is a mysterious thing. God is sovereign and His plans will be carried out regardless of what I think, say or do. Yet He tells us to pray.

Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Now will my prayer for my enemies and those that persecute me change them? Or will it change me?

It's impossible to hate and love at the same time. It's impossible to hate my enemy and pray for their good at the same time. Don't believe me? Try it.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy, here is where I would have to point out to you thats not how a Reformed believer understands prayer or prays. We state God is Sovereign yes but that gives God the ability to change his mind. Did not Abraham argue with God over how many of the righteous would live or die in Sodom? (see Genesis 18).... my own favorate Scripture passage comes from this 'Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?'

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Being sovereign also gives God the ability to create beings with a free will to chose or reject Him. :)

Yes Abraham argued with God, but God already knew how many were there that had not completely rejected Him. Abraham didn't convince God of anything. Although he was extremely brave or extremely stupid to argue with God. :laugh:

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And you with healing and signs and wonders.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Not true, but you did not answer the question.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think every Calvinist on this board indicated already that you can reject him but as you say, If your given the Grace, Why would you want too? Then by rejecting God you would be extremely stupid

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, and that's why the Bible calls them fools.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According to the Cals on this board, all you can do is reject Him. That's not a choice.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

All you can do is CHOOSE to reject him.

That is BIBLE.

The carnal mind is at enmity with God and IS not subject to the law of God NEITHER INDEED CAN IT BE.

Romans 8.

What does that mean. It means that all that the carnal mind can do is choose to reject God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.