1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Purgatory is not in the Bible - it does not exist

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the same person who stated that he was sure that Jesus would be able to keep Him in the end, and whose testimony was that Jesus saves to the outermost all who come unto him?

It is the very work of the trinity to ave any sinner, as its the will of the father to send and have his Son die, the Son was raised up and will keep ALL given to him by the father, and the Holy Spirit Himself seals and is an earnest pledge from god that he will keep and save a;ll of his own...

Why do you disagree with God over this?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    , as one pastor there had a 'revelation" concerniing right baptism and speaking in tongues, and to their credit , even the assemblies refutated th
    Their "Movement" came out of an Assemblies of God camp fire meeting in 1917, as on eof the pastors had a "revealtion" concerning right way to water baptise and speaking in tongues as required to show saved, but even the AOG refuted that as being heresy and error!

3. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Yeshua, here is maybe easier questions to answer, being that you and other people made no attempt to answer my past questions. But,since you think you are so well equiped to answer me along with any other misled Catholic I would like you to show me the verse(s) in the Bible which gives the authority to any human creature to found another church other than the ONE CHURCH which Jesus Christ founded?
    Show me the verse(s) which authorizes anyone to simply hold up a Bible and proclaim,"This is my authority."

"But when he, the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will teach you all the truth." John 16:13

Most non-Catholic sects declare that the Holy Spirit is "teaching" them the truth. However, there can be only one truth. Since the advent of Sola Scriptura and individual interpretation of Scripture, how can the Holy Spirit be in each of the thousands of sects, teaching all of them opposing viewpoints? It is to be noted that all of the following denominations teach from the same Bible, so why the differences in teaching?

1. How can the Holy Spirit tell the Lutherans the Eucharist is the true presence of Christ, and then tell the Baptists it is only a symbol?

2. How can the Holy Spirit tell the Methodists it is alright to have female ministers, and then tell the Baptists it is unbiblical?

3. How can the Holy Spirit tell the Seventh-Day Adventists that Saturday is the day of worship, and then tell the Presbyterians the day of worship is Sunday and not Saturday?

4. How can the Holy Spirit tell the Lutherans that the Blessed Virgin Mary was and remains always virgin, and then tell the Baptists she had other children?

5. How can the Holy Spirit tell the Baptists, "once saved always saved", and then tell the Church of Christ that Sola Fides is unscriptural?

6. How can the Holy Spirit tell Episcopalians to baptize infants and then tell Pentecostals infant baptism is invalid?

7. How can the Holy Spirit tell Mormons that the Holy Trinity is three separate persons, and then tell Methodists the Trinity is three persons in one GOD?

I could make a much longer list than I have posted here because every theological doctrine, except for the existence of GOD, which is taught by one non-Catholic church is denied by another. What does this show us, other than utter chaos and flummox, in the aftermath of the reformation.

Who, in all of these non-Catholic ecclesial communities, has the authority to adjudicate the many doctrinal disputes which have arisen between them? Can anyone answer this one? More important, many of the Protestant/Fundamentalist claim "scripture-only" is the authority, then explain to me how they would settle doctrinal disputes from Sola Scriptura, if the Holy Spirit is their authority and guide? Doesn't this seem to be reminiscent of the Tower of Babel story in Genesis 11:1-9, which brought with it similar consequences?

So please Yeshua, I would love for one non-Catholic to explain how the Holy Spirit guides you, yet has created multitudes of churches? How many truths are out there,when Christ taught ONE and there is ONLY ONE TRUTH, not thousands. Lakeside

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is only one truth. Your question reveals that you don't know the truth.
    If you were to stand before God and he were to ask you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?" what answer would you give?

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Lakeside. Obviously there can be only one truth and one interpretation/meaning of any given scripture which is inspired of God.
    The answer is sublimely simple. The flaw is not with God but with the understanding of the reader.
    Jesus predicted/prophesied that this would happen in Matthew chapter 13.
    Wherein the parable of the four soils in which the "seed" was sown - only one would bear fruit, the reason(s):

Douay-Rheims Matthew 13:18 Hear you therefore the parable of the sower.
    19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, there cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart: this is he that received the seed by the way side.

In this situation the "wicked one" snatches away the word sown in his heart and he never actually comes to true faith.

Then there is persecution:

20 And he that received the seed upon stony ground, is he that heareth the word, and immediately receiveth it with joy.
    21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but is only for a time: and when there ariseth tribulation and persecution because of the word, he is presently scandalized.

and then materialism:

22 And he that received the seed among thorns, is he that heareth the word, and the care of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choketh up the word, and he becometh fruitless.

Then there is the parable of the wheat and the tares ("cockle" seed in the Douay-Rheims version or "weeds").

Again

Douay-Rheims: Matthew 13:38
    38 And the field is the world. And the good seed are the children of the kingdom. And the cockle are the children of the wicked one.
    39 And the enemy that sowed them, is the devil. But the harvest is the end of the world. And the reapers are the angels.
    40 Even as cockle therefore is gathered up, and burnt with fire: so shall it be at the end of the world.
    41 The Son of man shall send his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all scandals, and them that work iniquity.

So it is not the work of the Holy Spirit which is flawed but the devil who clouds the minds of the hearers and his workers which disseminate confusion and finally even we ourselves and the lust of the flesh by which we drown out the voice of the Spirit of truth.

Obviously if the Church of Rome was once a sound local church there must have been a departure from the truth at some point in time where the voice of the Spirit was no longer heard.

HankD

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You claimed that it is merely some quality time to reflect, repent and confess just before stepping over the threshold of heaven and you asked "wouldn't you want someone to have a little time for that if they did not have a chance to do it just before they died' -- or something to that effect.

I have stated repeatedly that your own personal view of it - when stated that way does not sound nearly as horrific as the official RCC doctrine in that regard.

I actually applaud you for at least being more reasonable in that regard even though I think both of those views are a mistake in various degrees.

There is no place in all of scripture where we find either an entry room to heaven for pause and reflection and confession of sins after one dies... or the RCC actual doctrine on purgatory.

Paradise is mentioned exactly 3 places in the Bible - not 4 not 5... just 3.

In Luke 23 we have "remember me WHEN you come into your kingdom" and the answer is "Verily I say unto you today you WILL be with Me in Paradise".

Then in 2 Cor 12
    Boasting is necessary, though it is not profitable; but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows— 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.

Rev 2
    7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.

Rev 22
    Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, 2 in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3 There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him;

Now you claim that these texts do not point to Paradise as being in God's heaven where His throne is..

I beg to differ.

I find that the Bible is very clear on this point.

And this also answers your question about Christ's statement to Mary in John 20.

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus was in the tomb until Sunday - when He was raised up.

Resurrection and all that.

Nothing in there about purgatory.

The doctrine of the Trinity is in the Bible - but not Purgatory.

And if just making stuff up then adding "where is the Word Trinity in the Bible" were in fact all that is needed to prove a docrtrine - then the Mormons and JW's would have a field day.

I think we both would agree on that point.

In 1Cor 3 the workers are the evangelists.

The material of gold silver, vs hay and stubble is the DOCTRINE the TEACHING of the evangelist.

The text does not say the PERSON is burned - but that the work - the doctrine that is inferior is burned/purged away not BY fire but as in the same way as fire - in this life.

Let's see it first hand.. because none of this is about purgatory.

1 Cor 3

6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation (PETRA) other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

In all cases it is the WORK -- the teaching, the doctrine of that "builder" that is tested or that is burned away.

nothing at all here about the strange fiction of Purgatory as we find it in those RCC sources I gave. And which thankfully you don't even appear to believe yourself - so no worries.

in Christ,

Bob

#67 BobRyan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Now hold on - I have not claimed that you do not quote the Bible - I object to certain Catholic doctrines - not to all of them and when I do object - I quote the CCC or some very well credentialed source like the Catholic Encyclopedia, RC Commentary - stuff that all has the Imprimatur you know.

Everyone on this board would say the same thing except they don't include "Catholic Church" in their statement - but rather the church that they attend.

No wait - hold on - I am more than happy to have a Catholic best me when it comes to scripture - I look forward to it - because we all learn.

You know as the one and only Seventh-day Adventist on this board I too get bounced around a bit on this or that thread you are not the only minority here.

Speaking of which - you write as though you and your 1 billion fellow Catholics are the underdogs. How does that happen?

The other question I have for you is the fact that I rarely find a Catholic as interested as you in making their case from the Bible and you have gone out of your way to come to a BaptistBoard at that. How does that happen?

in Christ,

Bob

#68 BobRyan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  9. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Brother lakeside, would you like the Scriptural answer to your question, and to the text:

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. - Luke 23:43

If you do, please say, "yes", and I will begin a new thread on just this subject, ok, and link to it for you here.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am so sorry that you do not have assurance of eternal life. The Bible clearly tells us that we can KNOW we have eternal life and that no one can snatch us out of the Father's hand. We don't need to wring our hands and wonder if we are in a state of grace for we are bought by the blood of the Lamb, guaranteed by the Spirit and graven on our Father's hands. None of these things are temporary.

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[​IMG]

12. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Only the Apostles received the Holy Spirit. The Apostles knew that the Holy Ghost would come down upon them; for Christ promised His Apostles { only the 12 ] that after His Ascension He would send the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Truth, to teach them all truths and to abide with them forever.
    Christ sent the Holy Ghost to sanctify His Church, to enlighten and strengthen the Apostles, and to enable them to preach the Gospel.

The Church was sanctified through the coming of the Holy Ghost by receiving those graces which Christ had merited for His ministers, the bishops and priests, and for the souls of all those committed to their care.

The Apostles were enlightened through the coming of the Holy Ghost by receiving the grace to remember and understand in its true meaning all that Christ had said and done in their presence.

The Apostles were strengthened through the coming of the Holy Ghost by receiving the grace to brave every danger, even death itself, in the performance of their sacred duties.

The Apostles were: Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James, Thaddeus, Simon, and Judas Iscariot, in whose place Mathias was chosen.

St. Paul was an Apostle, but as he was not called till after the Ascension of Our Lord he is not numbered among the twelve. He is called the Apostle of the Gentiles; that is, of all those who were not of the Jewish religion or members of the Church of the Old Law.

While on his way to persecute the Christians St. Paul was miraculously converted and called to be an Apostle by Our Lord Himself, who spoke to him. St. Paul was called Saul before his conversion.

The Apostles did not fully understand when Christ Himself taught them because during His stay with them on earth they were only preparing to become Apostles; and their minds were yet filled with many worldly thoughts and desires that were to be removed at the coming of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost will abide with the Church forever, and guide it in the way of holiness and truth.

From the knowledge that the Holy Ghost will abide with the Church forever we are made certain that the Church can never teach us falsehood, and can never be destroyed by the enemies of Our Faith.

Through the coming of the Holy Ghost the Apostles received the "gift of tongues," by which they could be understood in every language, though they preached in only one.
    The other 120 even said that they are drunk with talking strange languages.

Such wonderful gifts accompanied Confirmation in the first ages of the Church to prove the power, truth and divine character of Christianity to those who otherwise might not believe, and to draw the attention of all to the establishment of the Christian Church.

These signs are not continued everywhere at the present time, because now that the Church is fully established and its divine character and power proved in other ways, such signs are no longer necessary.

13. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Acts 2 New International Version (NIV) This will explain that only the 12 Apostles received the much more powerful "Tongues of Fire "

The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

Peter Addresses the Crowd

14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

“‘In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.

Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.

I will show wonders in the heavens above
    and signs on the earth below,
    blood and fire and billows of smoke.

The sun will be turned to darkness
    and the moon to blood
    before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.’[c]

22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men,[d] put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. 25 David said about him:

“‘I saw the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest in hope,

because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    you will not let your holy one see decay.

You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence.’[e]

29 “Fellow Israelites, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
    “Sit at my right hand

until I make your enemies
    a footstool for your feet.”’[f]

36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

The Fellowship of the Believers

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

14. lakeside

lakeside New Member

On the first Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came upon Christ’s followers. The apostolic message was proclaimed in a way that allowed each listener to hear of the mighty acts of God in his own language. Luke tells us that Peter "testified with many other arguments" (Acts 2:40). We don’t know exactly what arguments Peter used on that day, but we are told he exhorted his listeners: "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation" (Acts 2:40). Peter’s message was accepted by 3,000 people who were baptized and who devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles, to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread, and to the prayers. "Awe came upon everyone" (Acts 2:43).

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is NO scriptural support to this at all! I have NO clue how you got this. The people who said that they were speaking languages were the people who heard these people speaking in their own languages and they understood them. Did not the 120 already understand each other?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

From verse 14 onward Peter probably addressed them in Greek, the universal language of the day which people of all different backgrounds knew. It is possible he used either Hebrew or Aramaic seeing they were all Jews.
    But we do know his message was not "in other tongues or languages." The ones speaking in "other languages" were simply stating "praises to God."

This was a sermon that Peter preached. He quoted from the OT., as you referred to in your post. He gave very logical arguments. He brought his message to a climax urging each every one to repent and come to Christ.
    There were about 100,00 present. And of that 100,000, it clearly says:

Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
    --Three thousand were saved and they were added to the church in Jerusalem. This church met daily as the following verse indicates. And the Lord continued to work.
    Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
    Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
    --Every day some were saved and they too were added to this same local church at Jerusalem. It grew very quickly to a very large church.

We know exactly what arguments Peter used for they are recorded right there before us. Here is where an understanding of Scripture is essential.

17. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Thank you DHK for gracious reply.

18. lakeside

lakeside New Member

annsni, 1.The speakers were either the 12 apostles or the 120 disciples (Acts 1:15, 26; Acts 2:1).
    2.The group was small enough so that they could all sit in a house (Acts 2:2)
    3.The eyewitnesses thought that all who spoke in tongues were Galileans. (Acts 2:7)
    4.Some of the eyewitnesses were Judeans, who we would expect to know the difference between a Judean and a Galilean. (Acts 2:9)
    5.Jesus told the apostles to wait for the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:2-5) Then two angels spoke to the apostles and called them “men of Galilee”. (Acts 2:11)
    6.Joseph of Arimathea and Mary, Martha, and Lazarus of Bethany were not Galileans, but were close to Jesus in His last days.
    7.The twelve apostles are specifically mentioned as being in the house at Pentecost, no one else is. (Acts 2:14)
    8.When Peter explains the tongues speaking, he is described as “standing up with the eleven” and says “these are not drunk, as you suppose”. (Acts 2:14-15)

The Conclusion

The facts support that it was the twelve apostles who spoke in tongues, not the 120. The facts do not support the idea that women spoke in tongues in Acts 2:4 at Pentecost.

To insist that it was the 120, one would have to make a series of unreasonable claims, as below.

Unreasonable Claim #1

a. Either the eyewitnesses were wrong in thinking the speakers were all Galileans or

b. b) all of the 120 were Galileans

Comment

Since the whole point of the tongues here depends on the identity of the speakers (it was supernatural for Galileans to speak in other languages), the former, a), is unreasonable. Also, does it seem reasonable that the Holy Spirit would record that the eyewitnesses thought that all the speakers were Galileans if He did not want us reach that conclusion? It is also irresponsible to assert that none of the 120 disciples of Acts 1:15-26 were from somewhere other than Galilee. How could someone teach as truth a conclusion that is based on the claim that neither Joseph of Arimathea nor Mary, Martha, and Lazarus of Bethany nor any disciple from anywhere but Galilee was among the 120?

There is another unreasonable claim.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unless these people who though they were all Galileans knew the people, it is reasonable that they would not necessarily know that they were from different areas.

You say that the 120 had to fit into one room - which we see as fact in chapter 1:

You say that the 120 (or actually, 108) were part of the crowd that Scripture speaks of:

How would they be bewildered and hearing them speak in their own language? These 120 were able to communicate before this. Why would this bewilder them?

You mention that it was only the 12 who are in the house as per verse 14 but then if the house was not big enough for the 120, how is it big enough for all of these strangers to hear? This is now outside of the house and the 12 stood as representatives of the full 120.

There is really no Scriptural support to the 12 being the only ones who received the Holy Spirit and a plain reading of the context shows that it was the full 120.

20. lakeside

lakeside New Member

annsni, you are far from convincing. Why not try and elaborate on this verse that you've somehow failed to answer; "When Peter explains the tongues speaking, he is described as “standing up with the eleven” and says “these are not drunk, as you suppose”. (Acts 2:14-15)

#80 lakeside, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.