1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Should I Feel Threatened by Gay Marriage?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by npc, Jul 5, 2005.

1. npc

npc New Member

There's been indications that I should be, such as this diamond by that mine of logic OldRegular:
    Would anybody care to explain, though, WHY this is a problem? I also wonder if there's anyone who can defend homophobia in general.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marriage is one man and one woman. It can never morally be anything else. I can never in practice be anything else.

3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I think Christendom should take a stand on the
    word "marriage" unlike our President and how he
    reved everyone up to vote for him over this issue.

I think this is a legitimate issue and extremely
    biblical...now with that said we have gays that
    pay taxes..we have gays that go off to fight and
    die in wars.

We need to be creative and find some grace for
    them to have civil leverage because they also
    support and die for this country.

4. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

I don't believe that was the question. What does that have to do with you and why should you feel threatened by gays or gay marriage?

Gays were given the same free will as everyone else. It is there choice to use it, or not. And it has not be proven that homosexuality is a choice anyway... it has never been fully explained why some people are this way and some aren't. But God loves and created all people so who are we to judge?

Back to the original question, why should we feel threatened by gays or gay marriage?

5. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

I agree. I think the big stink has been about the name. Still, a rose is a rose and if they want to call it a marriage, I don't see how that changes, weakens or hurts any other marriage. It's only a name. You don't have to let them get married in your church if you don't want to.

6. npc

npc New Member

That doesn't explain why I should be threatened by a ny government recognizing it, unless I'm forced into a gay marriage.

7. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

TisHerself welcome to the board officially ..I think the bricks and mortar are being put up
    one by one as we speak on what defines people
    born this way(imho)I really believe the whole
    gay issue is a test of love ..culminating in the
    grace one day science will show they really are
    born that way...but as it stands now, that is a
    minority opinion and it is my risk and I take it
    believing in years down the road the issue will
    move into the direction it is meant.

That being said Christians do have a strong point
    that "marriage" is owned by them and should not be
    given up. So where does that leave the tax paying
    person who is gay ..who works as a fireman or woman ..who goes off to war...who is the police officer..I think we need to be creative and give
    grace to there citizenship that is expressed just
    like mine. Civil rights.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A morally decadent society threatens the very environment in which we live and in which children are reared.

9. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe that was the question. What does that have to do with you and why should you feel threatened by gays or gay marriage?

Gays were given the same free will as everyone else. It is there choice to use it, or not. And it has not be proven that homosexuality is a choice anyway... it has never been fully explained why some people are this way and some aren't. But God loves and created all people so who are we to judge?

Back to the original question, why should we feel threatened by gays or gay marriage?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You say that homosexuality has not been proven to be a choice in the same paragraph that you say Gays were given the same free will as everyone else and that they choose. Care to explain that? Doesn't hardly sound logical.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is irrelevant, my liberal friend, as to the validity of homosexual "marriage". A decent society should never sanction such a perverted monstrosity.

11. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

</font>[/QUOTE]You say that homosexuality has not been proven to be a choice in the same paragraph that you say Gays were given the same free will as everyone else and that they choose. Care to explain that? Doesn't hardly sound logical.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I was just playing both sides of the fence at once. They do have the same choices if you want to believe it's a choice. I don't believe so myself and I believe proof will come some day.

If you had read further, I think I explained myself quite well in the next line:

"And it has not be proven that homosexuality is a choice anyway... it has never been fully explained why some people are this way and some aren't."

12. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Oh ye of little faith! The world is corrupt and belongs to Satan right this very moment! Maybe you should just give it all up and sin as much as you can with that attitude!

The moral decadence of others has absolutely nothing to do with me or how I choose to live my life. I feel for you, Ken, if you are so weak that society can have that effect on you!

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To ignore the effects of society is why liberal Christians like you have caused the church to become so anemic in American society.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God when He stated that homosexuality is wrong. Do you believe Him as well on this subject?

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, we don't need to give gay "marriage" any recognition at all except to recognize it as 100% wrong in any form. We don't need to be "creative" nor provide "civil leverage" for such relationships. We just need to stand fast by God's plan for His creation. Marriage is designed to be a lifetime bond under God between one man and one woman.

Patrick

16. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

</font>[/QUOTE]I was just playing both sides of the fence at once. They do have the same choices if you want to believe it's a choice. I don't believe so myself and I believe proof will come some day.

If you had read further, I think I explained myself quite well in the next line:

"And it has not be proven that homosexuality is a choice anyway... it has never been fully explained why some people are this way and some aren't."
    </font>[/QUOTE]But it has been fully explained by the Bible that Homosexuality is a sin. You do concur on that right?

17. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Of course I do! There are a lot of things that are sins! Coveting is a sin, but should there be a law governing men's thoughts? I don't think so! Murder is a sin and against the law. Does it stop people from killing? NO! There has to be a middle ground where God's laws are upheld by those who believe them to be true. Forcing God's laws down the throats of the masses will only lead to resentment! Our lives and our actions are our witness to our beliefs. Yes, we should speak out and say 'such and such' is a sin. But you can't force people to adhere to that. Nor would you really want to! Isn't that what we are all here on Earth for? If God wanted his will IMPOSED on everyone, he would have done it himself, thank you very much! WE have no business taking away the free will of the people in the name of God!!! I repeat!!! If that is what God had wanted, he would have done it himself! Instead, he put Satan in control of the Earth and gave us all free will! Who are we to decide to take that free will away from anyone!???!???!??!

</font>[/QUOTE]But it has been fully explained by the Bible that Homosexuality is a sin. You do concur on that right?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

18. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Of course I do! There are a lot of things that are sins! Coveting is a sin, but should there be a law governing men's thoughts? I don't think so! Murder is a sin and against the law. Does it stop people from killing? NO! There has to be a middle ground where God's laws are upheld by those who believe them to be true. Forcing God's laws down the throats of the masses will only lead to resentment! Our lives and our actions are our witness to our beliefs. Yes, we should speak out and say 'such and such' is a sin. But you can't force people to adhere to that. Nor would you really want to! Isn't that what we are all here on Earth for? If God wanted his will IMPOSED on everyone, he would have done it himself, thank you very much! WE have no business taking away the free will of the people in the name of God!!! I repeat!!! If that is what God had wanted, he would have done it himself! Instead, he put Satan in control of the Earth and gave us all free will! Who are we to decide to take that free will away from anyone!???!???!??!

</font>[/QUOTE]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Of course I do! That doesn't mean I would be mean to a gay person or force my beliefs upon them! They are human beings! They are our brothers and sisters for crying out loud!!! There are a lot of things that are sins! Coveting is a sin, but should there be a law governing men's thoughts? I don't think so! Murder is a sin and against the law. Does it stop people from killing? NO! There has to be a middle ground where God's laws are upheld by those who believe them to be true. Forcing God's laws down the throats of the masses will only lead to resentment! Our lives and our actions are our witness to our beliefs. Yes, we should speak out and say 'such and such' is a sin. But you can't force people to adhere to that. Nor would you really want to! Isn't that what we are all here on Earth for? If God wanted his will IMPOSED on everyone, he would have done it himself, thank you very much! WE have no business taking away the free will of the people in the name of God!!! I repeat!!! If that is what God had wanted, he would have done it himself! Instead, he put Satan in control of the Earth and gave us all free will! Who are we to decide to take that free will away from anyone!???!???!??!

19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Standing firm against gay "marriage" doesn't mean justification of hateful acts against supporters of such misbehavior. It does mean uncompromising insistence that our civil law remain firmly against such misbehavior. It does mean not letting supporters of gay "marriage" force it down everyone's throat. We "force" all kinds of laws upon one another and are fully justified in doing so. Civil law is a fact of human existence and our obedience to it is mandated by the Word of God. "Free will" and "freedom" does not imply the right to any and all conduct one desires especially when it is brings about grave harm to the whole of society. Absolute "freedom" is anarchy in which only the strongest, the meanest, and the vilest survive. God's children have a duty to push for the making and enforcement of a system of fair and just civil law - most especially on relationships as fundamental to human existence as marriage - in order to protect the present and future of family structure. This we should do with great zeal in the interest of our children and grandchildren. Today's "couple" who form are gay "bond" become tomorrow's role model for others. This we must stand against! There should be no compromise with gay "rights" in this matter because there's no such thing as "rights" to such conduct any more than there is to murder, rape, incest, etc. All these basic evil acts should be prohibited by civil law.

Patrick

20. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Standing firm against gay "marriage" doesn't mean justification of hateful acts against supporters of such misbehavior. It does mean uncompromising insistence that our civil law remain firmly against such misbehavior. It does mean not letting supporters of gay "marriage" force it down everyone's throat. We "force" all kinds of laws upon one another and are fully justified in doing so. Civil law is a fact of human existence and our obedience to it is mandated by the Word of God. "Free will" and "freedom" does not imply the right to any and all conduct one desires especially when it is brings about grave harm to the whole of society. Absolute "freedom" is anarchy in which only the strongest, the meanest, and the vilest survive. God's children have a duty to push for the making and enforcement of a system of fair and just civil law - most especially on relationships as fundamental to human existence as marriage - in order to protect the present and future of family structure. This we should do with great zeal in the interest of our children and grandchildren. Today's "couple" who form are gay "bond" become tomorrow's role model for others. This we must stand against! There should be no compromise with gay "rights" in this matter because there's no such thing as "rights" to such conduct any more than there is to murder, rape, incest, etc. All these basic evil acts should be prohibited by civil law.

Patrick
    </font>[/QUOTE]Patrick, I actually agree with part of what you have said here. There is one fundamental part I wholeheartedly disagree with. I don't feel we are compromising a thing by allowing gays to be married. It doesn't detract a thing from the holy state of matrimony. Murder, rape and incest are prohibited and I agree they should be! But that doesn't keep them from happening. You see, as evil as it is, God gave us the free will to do what we want, including rape, murder and incest. Naturally, it hurts Him to see us do those things! And he has taught us not to do those things. As Christians, we won't. We cannot force everyone to abide by the laws of Christianity for Christianity's sake. There are civil rights protecting gay people. There is no victim in that activity. A victim would mean there was a rape, and that is already illegal.