1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why should the 1689 Confession of faith be used?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did I at any time deny its inspiration? Why are you inferring I did?

I asked: What is the relevancy of this scripture to your life today:
    1 Chronicles 26:18 At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.

Just because a 17th century document has scripture in it does make it relevant to our society today. That is a fallacy. Not all scripture is relevant to us today. We live in a different era. The Statement of faith of the SBC, that is, their "Baptist Faith and Message," has been updated and revised many, many times.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And yet in all this rant of yours you were unable to answer the question posed in the original question asked of you. Pity.

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Relax. Chill. No one is saying you don't believe the Word is inspired, or that you don't believe it.

So you cannot preach that passage in its context? It is not profitable as 2 Timothy 3:16 states?

OK. Now show us what exactly in this document is not relevant to society today. BTW, the document isn't written for 'society' it is written for God's church. But do show us what part of this document is not relevant, and why.

That's untrue and 2 Timothy 3:16 betrays your false belief here. Just because you cannot make sense of the text, in its context and preach it with insight and validity doesn't make it irrelevant. The Word doesn't depend upon your acumen, or in this case, lack thereof.

Show the revisions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know what question you are referring to. The two previous posts including their derogatory language are not worth answering, nor am I compelled to answer any of your posts.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus Himself said that he did not take you out of this world but has left you in this world.
    The world is not His. He said very clearly that the world would hate you because it hated Him (Christ).
    Or according to you Christ hates himself. You have some weird theology.

6. Internet Theologian

The green part? Not that I need you to answer, I just don't believe you're capable of answering it directly due to maintaining your stance which would be somewhat undone. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Internet Theologian

OK.

Everything is His, it was all created by Him and for Him, Colossians 1:16. The Earth is His and always has been His; Psalms 24:1.

Completely different subject. You're melding things together and running off course.

That's untrue and uncalled for. Show where this was ever stated.

There you go with your misrepresentations of others. SG did not say or imply this, nor has any other person on here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It was an illustration. If you can't deal with the illustration imagine yourself as a citizen of another nation. Let me give you an example, but first a quote from Wikipedia:
    So, SG, if you can't understand me, or simply won't, go make yourself a citizen of Saudi Arabia and see what it is like to be a servant to the king who would be your lord. Then my illustration would make some sense to you.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have already answered that question, and quite thoroughly. Don't be so lazy that you can't look it up just because you are a "Johnny-come-lately." Too bad. I am not going to repeat myself.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I gave you an interpretation. If I were preaching on that verse, it would be along the lines of "God has His witnesses all over the world." The text is speaking of the divisions of Levites for gatekeepers and watchmen. I would quote from Isaiah 62:6-7, and probably from Ezekiel 33:1-11, not to mention Matthew 28:18-20. Every Christian is to be a gatekeeper and a watchman, looking out over his town or village, witnessing to the lost and interceding with God on its behalf. You know what? I'm half-tempted to preach on that text next time I get into a pulpit! :) You see, 'All Scripture [not 'some Scripture'] is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.' There should be no text that is out of bounds for a preacher. Spurgeon would have had no trouble preaching on that verse. He very possibly did!
    Circumstances change but people don't. Just because we have mobile 'phones and refrigerators doesn't make us any different to those who lived 2,000 years ago. They needed salvation; so does the world today. They needed Jesus Christ; our neighbours are no different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Internet Theologian

No bro you did not answer the green portion yet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Internet Theologian

You actually prove SG's point. He declared that obama is not a monarch (though he wants to be) and that therefore your point is moot. You show that living in Saudi would support your statement, and it doesn't apply to those in the US.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The document has a little bit more to comment on than just salvation. And therein is the problem.
    It is not what it does address; it is what it does not and cannot address. The problems of the 17th century are not the problems of the 21st century and thus an out-moded document is not very relevant for us today. It has some profit, yes. But most books do. To make it the statement of faith for a church today would be absurd.

14. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your problem with it is its soteriology.

• Like Like x 2
  15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. It was while he was journeying to continue trying to bring reconciliation that he died.

But, generally what I wrote was accurate to what he was attempting and the discouragement of the last of his years.

He was an outstanding writer, a wonderful pastor, and a good preacher, just not a great preacher. :)

His influence then and today is mainly through his writing skills.

16. Internet Theologian

You continue to make declarative and dogmatic statements. Yet, they go unfounded. You have shown zero evidence.

Such as...?

Men and sin are the problem in all epochs and eras. :)

And there is nothing new under the Sun, yet you imply there is.

Again, provide evidence for your subjective slander of a document. You've yet to do so. In fact you cannot do so.

This document is more relevant than your teachings seen on BB daily. But do show to us all your accusations against it, by actually providing proof instead of your subjective ridicule. Can you do that? Doubtful. You have no evidence but your blind unsupported reason and pure conjecture.

#96 Internet Theologian, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Internet Theologian

Thus far in this thread DHK has been unable, unwilling to substantiate his low view and accusations against the 1689 LBCoF, the TGC, or any other CoF.

We all await actual proof, time to lay the subjective ridicule aside. Not to mention the wait for his AoF/SoF/SoB or what have you that allegedly is greater and more elaborate, in his own words, than the former CoF's.

Obviously DHK has a document that transcends in elaboration all other CoF's but neither can he show us how and the why of that alleged document, just as he cannot provide any documented evidence to support his ridicule of the other CoF's. So far it is only 'because he said so'. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is the world in which we live, called planet earth. All, both believers and unbelievers reside on it. Then there is the 'world' as in the lost. He has called us out of the world, called us to be separate from the lost.

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.[John 15:19]

This goes as smooth as silk with 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 as can be. We are no longer of the world. Satan is not our ruler, not our god. He is ruler, he is god of the world. The world in proper context is not planet earth of all its inhabitants, but the lost. Plain as the nose on your face.

The bible easily refutes this ideology of yours, per usual.

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;[Psalms 24:1]
    I'll take the inspired word over a DHKism, thank you.

The world in proper context is the lost and not planet earth. Do you hate Christ? No. Are you in the world(planet earth here)? Yes. That's the context. The world(unbelievers) hate God and His ppl.

Alright big boy!! This needs to stop. Post where I posted this!! You are abusing your position. Post where I posted this. Post it or repent for lying...again!!

Howso? You say Christ isn't ruling. His kingdom is not here now. And my theology is weird? You are a poison well for anyone to drink from. You are as dangerous as an envelope full of anthrax.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Darby, Chafer, and Ice had written it, he'd agree with it.

The 1644 and 1689 CoF's rightly put man in his place. It rightly enthrones God as Majesty, as Ruler who actually rules and is not an innocent bystander . That is why DHK will never sign off on it. If man isn't his own sovereign? Forgetaboutit!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [If you have a problem with moderation, keep it between you and the moderators.]

#100 SovereignGrace, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.