1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why So Much Education?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A young unnamed brother just sent me a PM and asked why one needs 8 years of education just to pastor a church anyway?

With the costs of school being what they are?

With ones own family circumstances not being conducive to going to a seminary and studying full time?

"Just to pastor;" the price seems a bit much, does it not?

Now all of you know what and how I feel!!! He needs your responses and input.

Help the young guy out--but do it in love!!

sdg!

rd

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

well, why does a doctor need all that school, just to look in someones ears?

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

IMO, The calling of God to pastor a church demands that you study to the highest level possible to be able to be the best and sharpest tool in the hand of the Lord.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A pastor is not like an undertaker who has seen a lot of hearts but much like a heart surgeon who seeks to heal the sick. That takes skill. The skill of a well prepared pastor is not to be done with people as laboratory animals but rather giving them Gods' perspective on life and eternity.

Eccl. 12 talks about one the skills of a pastor.

Eccl. 12:9-11, "In addition to being a wise man, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge; and he pondered, searched out and arranged many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly. The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd."

Eight years is nothing when one considers a lifetime.

"A sharp axe cuts more wood."

5. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

"Just to pastor?" One needs a much higher view of the duties of pastor than that to do justice to Christ and His church. Sure some churches will accept an inward call a good message during candidacy, and perhaps any old degree from anywhere will do in their eyes. However, you should strive to rise above the path of least resistance to the ministry. Strive to know the original languages, theology, counseling, and history (which didn't start in the 20th century by the way).

BJ

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

I agree with all of the above. The highest calling cannot be fulfilled with minimal preparation. In our day, when acquiring a formal education is readily available via on campus or distance education, one who discounts the need for training has either an unbiblical view of God's leading or is unwilling to make the personal sacrifice in time and money required.

If truly called to the ministry, I trust your young friend is willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

Bill

7. PastorSBC1303

When I was first called into the ministry I was trying to find an easy way to get an education without having to sacrifice. Thankfully the Lord placed in my life several faithful friends who kicked my butt all the way to seminary. [​IMG] It was a great sacrifice, yet I would not trade any of it. God used all of it to sharpen me. It always saddens me to hear others try to avoid the necessary sacrifice needed to be all that God desires you to be.

8. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

I would try to get all the formal education you can, but then also continue to learn after school. I know many pastors who do not have much formal education, but they study and buy books to keep informed and their mind sharp.

While I was trying to determine if I should continue on to studying theology in grad school, I would fill the pulpit for a pastor I know in the area. The church gives an honorarium for guest preachers, and I used the money to buy more books to further sharpen my skills.

Do as much formal education as you can, but there are also other ways to learn too!

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have found only two or three exceptions to the rule that you must go to seminary to grow in your pastoral service, in my course of ministry. And each one was a man of God who got into ministry later in life and, though they couldn't go to seminary for various reasons they worked three times as hard at reading, studying, and growing as any pastor I know.

Do you have to go to seminary to pastor? no...but you had better plan on working five times as hard as any other pastor in your own reading, studying, and growing. I've run into too many guys who said they didn't have to go to seminary to pastor who are intellectually feeble and simply not equipped to do effective (and biblical) ministry.

I also know of people who go to seminary...slough off classes and never invest in their own education and are the same. There is no quantitative measure for how educated and prepared someone is for ministry. Education is what you put into it. Sort of like your relationship with Christ.

10. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

preachinjesus,

I can relate to what you wrote in your first paragraph, except in the secular job sense. I am always reading journals, articles, and other information related to my day job, because I don't have a degree in that area. Not having the degree in that field has not held me back, but for me, since I want to keep the job, I find I read lots of stuff when others are probably watching TV in the evening.

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I was trying to recal the seminary Jesus recommended. Does anyone know?

12. PastorSBC1303

When you can walk on water like Jesus, then you can skip seminary [​IMG]

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I did not say Jesus went there. He also did not tell any follower to go. ;)

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I am also not saying that a person sould not go. (if God tells him to.)

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you can walk with the master in the context of that time let us know.

Not many passed the tests Jesus gave in his seminary.

16. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I have the same access they had after Jesus accended.
    Most of them were still not getin it by what I read while Jesus was with them.
    And Paul did not walk with Jesus.

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

First, let’s differentiate between education and learning. Education is the means unto the end, learning. The person can spend eight years learning from others in an organized program what he needs to pastor or he can spend twenty-five years of diligent daily study in the pastorate with the attending misstates to learn what he needs.

Second, there is a strain of minimalism that I seem to detect. What is the least that I can do and qualify? This, IMHO, is wrongheaded thinking! Learning and education does not end with graduation from seminary. It is lifelong learning for the good pastor; the pastor’s education never ends. Why should we offer God our minimum and expect Him to be pleased? Our passion ought to be the maximum that we can learn and achieve for the glory of God.
    Things in life are usually worthy no more than what they cost. There are no bargains. There is cost of time, effort and study as well as money. IMHO, money is the smallest and least important of the considerations. After all, we probably spend much more money on frivolous, consumable things that don’t last and benefit as much as a good education.
    Life is never easy. There are always obstacles, even more so in the pastorate. In other words, if the circumstantial demands of attending seminary are too great for a person, then the unceasing demands of the pastoral ministry are going to be far greater.
    This statements smacks of a small view of the pastorate. If the medical doctor holds great responsibility for physical life, how much greater is the care of souls? Being a pastor comes with a high price tag as many on this board can attest. There are no cut-rate pastorates. The price to pay is enormous.
    My suggestion is that the person goes back and counts the cost of being a pastor. If the cost is greater than he is willing to pay, then he ought not attempt to become a pastor. The pastorate is not just a romantic ideal of doing good and enjoying an affable profession. It is a calling, a passion, a consuming interest and a life-motivating force. Not everyone should be a pastor. Some should not even try to become one.

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

It was called The School of the Disciples. You remember that he did teach and prepare them. Of course, since Christ was the Master Teacher, He did a much more efficient job than we do today but that's the way it is! ;)

19. PastorSBC1303

Amen.

20. Broadus

Broadus Member

How might God tell someone to go or not to go to seminary?

Bill