1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why start an online BB ministerial academy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 23, 2005.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD, that sounds great for the aims of the program, especially the two courses on Christ. [​IMG]

It seems to require critical analysis and not excessive work (i.e. above institute level). I can see clearly that my previous paranoia was definitely unfounded.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Grudem,Erickson, & Derickson all discuss different points of view.

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Thanks. Your paranoia was probably caused by my incautious, unthought out remarks.

Let me respond to Dr. Bob: I think the difficulty you see is a very potential stumbling block which must be hurdled. But I think it can be. I have a little book called, "Three Views on the Rapture" ( a subject which occasions MUCH dogmatism at BB) with the contributors being Feinberg, Archer, and Moo. Fine scholars all. Each ably presents his own different view and each evaluates the views of the others.

What makes this germane to your comment is not that the three views appear in one book, but that all three teach Bible or Theol. at the SAME school- TEDS. And somehow they relate respectfully to each other, and TEDS does a fine job , and students learn.

Now, thanks again Stefan, and here is an overview of the whole:

Systematic Theology : 8 topics requiring 60 clock hrs each of study)

BIBLE

Canon
    Text
    Inspiratio
    Inerrancy
    Authority

GOD

Existence
    Names
    Attributes
    Trinity
    Trinal Relationships

CHRIST, I

Deity
    Humanity
    Union of Natures
    Names
    Offices

CHRIST II (history of errors regarding)

errors denying His Deity
    errors denying His humanity
    errors denying 1 Pers in 2 natures
    kenoticism
    theories of dual consciences(my view, actually)

PERSON AND WORK HS

Personality
    Deity
    Spiration
    Bap and Filling
    Gifts

SALVATION

Theories of Atonement
    Calvinism
    Arminianism
    Justif and Sanc
    Personal eschatology

CHURCH

Offices
    Purpose
    Wat Bap
    Lord's supper
    Government

ESCHATOLOGY

A Mill
    Post Mill
    Pre Mill
    Pre Trib/Mid tri
    Partial/Post Trib

Steps of Instruction for EACH subunit

(1) read 40 pages
    (2) discuss reading w-prof + simpole quiz
    (3) write short paper
    (4) do research on 1 probing ques on paper
    (5) AT END of FIVE subunits, take PROCTORED FINAL EXAM over whole unit.

(JUST MY BUSY MIND AT WORK THROWING OUT IDEAS)

IMO an informed teacher who is content to educate on various positions rather than indoctrinating could teach Theology or Bible honestly representing alternate views and could allow others to do the same.

[ August 04, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

4. Plain Old Bill

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might I suggest "Biblical Theology" then and not "Systematic". The latter presupposes XYZ as the favorable, endorsed position (no one is neutral), while the former allows the student to form his OWN "systemitized" theology by the end of his study.

When I taught Biblical Theology (undergrad, 3 3-credit courses of 45 face-to-face class sessions each) we started with Genesis 1:1 and worked through the progressive revelation of each verse and each doctrine.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I disagree that ST presupposes that! CLEARLY this very Board evidences that presuppositions can occur whether a topic or a text begins the discussion.

It is rather, IMO, that presuppositions inhere in the one doing the theology and not in the method employed to study theology.

In my experience, the usual sense of Biblical Theology is that it considers the doctrines of individual Biblical writers or that of either one or the other Testament or portions of that Testament as do:

Ladd, A Theo of the NT;
    Ryrie, A Bib Theo of NT ;
    Stevens, The Theo of the NT.
    Vos, Biblical Theo
    Kaiser, Toward an OT Theo
    Baab, The Theol of OT;
    Payne, The Theo of the Older Testament; Lehman, Bib Theol)
    Smith, OT Theology;
    Baab, OT Theology.

A second , less restrictive sense, of Biblical Theology is just that Theology should be based on the Bible but all sorts of Theology should do that.

In contrast to Bib Theo , the def of Systematic Theology IMO is first that it begins with a particular doctrine rather than with a particular Testament or portion of a Testament or a single writer and applies at that moment relevant texts in the whole counsel of God without the restrictions of the Biblical Theology approach as exemplified in the above texts.

Second, in ST there is the emphasis to allow the student to build a coherent belief system wherein the virtue of the understanding of each major doctrine is tested both by exegetics and by its compatibilty with other tenets. And, I think those are advantages.

Both types of the study of Theology have their usefulness (as does as Historical Theology as well), and that is why the curriculum I suggested in this thread had 6 units of Biblical Theology as a recommendation.

UZ

[ August 05, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

7. Plain Old Bill

On another line,has anybody went to the web site and taken a serious look at the links?I am trying to select sites that will be useful to the students and professors? If anyone after taking a hard look at the sites can recommend other site which would be helpful it would be appreciated.

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

POB

There are theological journals on line.

9. Plain Old Bill

I know. James Bell will be adding a site(Wabashcenter.wabash.edu/internet/font.htm)that includes many journals and other information as well.This site is very rich in information and references to other links.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey gang,

Please go and read my last post on the Statement of Faith.

I meant to post it here but messed up. Tell me what you think.

sdg!

rd

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey all here it is!

To all who have interest:

This is the address of the State of Tennessee regulations for applying to start a new school program. I suggest all go there and look at it. It is very complicated, meticulous, and it will be time consuming. It will take a great deal of commitment from us all to get this thing up and running.

It seems to me that we may have been looking at the shotgun from the wrong end. We may need to look seriously at what kind of program we want and where we want to locate it. Not so much the program contnet as what we want to call it.

I am told that where the server is housed (what state), that is where the "degree," "diploma," or "certificate" (same state) will be the issuing state) will be the "location of record."

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/1540/1540-01-02.pdf

We really need to craft out "Statement of Purpose" or "Mission Statement" based upon what the particular state, where the program is housed, wants and/or needs for "authorization."

The State of TN uses the word authorization I think she said. What we don't want, again based on what I was told by the office in Nashville, is to house the program in Oregon or Washington. They are two of the hardest to get the "License" or "Charter" or "Authorization" as it is called in other places.

It is my strongly held belief that we really need to fast and pray for a day. We need to beg God to send us a pro bono lawyer to help us get from point A to B out of the malaise where we are.

We may need to go back to the drawing board, set aside the SOF, and work on these other issues. Anyway, the SOF is just about done. I think?

I have spent a great deal of time researching this morning. I believe this is the direction we need to go now rather than discussing minute points of theology. IMHO!!!

I am sorry for the confusion!

Whatdayathink? In private or on the BB.

sdg!

rd

12. Plain Old Bill

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do the rest of you think?

Shall we fast?

If so when?

sdg!

rd

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I agree. Thanks. I do short fasts (only) as have been diagnosed with diabetes.

UZ

15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please include as a pre-reg to your fast and prayer, a visit to the web page so we will know what we are up against for application's processes.

Of course all are free to "fast as unto the Lord" as befits their own situation. Absolutely no leagalism here!

sdg!

rd

PS I need some more "AMENS" on the fasting and praying.

16. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

I have been waiting for a response from the state of Oklahoma. As for where the server is housed, that is still ahead of us. We don't have any need for our own server at this point, so I would think we could get by with some other manner of establishing a home-- such as a PO Box or the like. I don't know though, it is something we will have to look in to. I am checking the Tenn. site now.

And of course I will fast and pray right along with you.

17. Plain Old Bill

Rhetorician,I read your PM 1st as you could probably tell.

18. Plain Old Bill