1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Swords (Lk. 22:36)?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hawaiiski, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Hawaiiski

Hawaiiski New Member

Why did Christ tell the disciples to purchase swords (Lk. 22:36), & how can this be reconciled w/ Mt. 5:39?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was speaking of spiritual swords for the upcoming spiritual battle. When they drew their swords in the Garden he told them to put them away, thus denouncing violence and war.

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I have a question then.

Why didnt Jesus denounce war and violence sooner than the incident in the garden?

If Jesus didnt condone protecting oneself, then why did Peter have a sword to begin with? Wouldnt He have just not allowed the weapons to be carried in the first place?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about eisegesis.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me your first question will take a bit of thought and research on my part. However, I can see nothing in the life of Christ or in his teachings that condone war.

As for carring a sword they often traveled from place to place and I suppose often slept outdoors. There were wild animals that posed a possible threat and a sword would be useful in defending oneself from wild dogs or other dangerous animals.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

So? Its ok to protect yourself from dangerous animals and dogs, but its wrong to protect yourself from dangerous people?

Unfortunately, not everyone is a Christian and subscribes to the teachings of Jesus, and many will cut your throat for the few dollars you have in your pocket. I dont think Jesus meant for us to be wimps and not protect our families.

Besides, Hillary and Barak claim to want "world peace"..that is a promise that they cant keep, because the Bible says there will be no peace until Jesus returns. Do we not fight back, and just turn the world over to the Stalins, Castos and Husseins? I dont think so, and I dont think the Bible teaches that

The world is so caught up in "touchy, feely" ideas that we sometimes ignore the reality that the Bible teaches. For instance, after 9/11 Oprah said "There are now 3000 more angels in heaven" Blah Blah Blah That sounds wonderful but it is a lie. First of all, we dont become angels, and most of all the Bible says that very few are going to heaven so certainly there couldnt have been 3000 saved souls out of 3000 there that day......but it sounds good.

We need to return to biblical truths and get away from political correctness "touchy, feely" sentiments.

Just my opinion

#6 ajg1959, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So, Peter drew his "spiritual sword" and sliced off a "spiritual ear?" Thus spiritually denouncing violence and war? Just trying to follow your train of thought.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, now you are blowing smoke. Jesus rebuked Peter when he drew his 'physical' sword and cut off the ear.

From Matthew:

51With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

52"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No that is not what you said.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yours is a very involved question. First off, much of the church has taken the notion of the 2 swords that Christ meant for 1) the church through 2) the government to "compel" them to come into the kingdom, Luke 14:23. This is why you have the Crusades and the Inquisition and the galleons loaded with soldiers and a priest sent to the "new world." To usher in Christ's kingdom by force! NO!

At the beginning of His ministry, Jesus told the 70 disciples not to take swords. They were basically "ambassadors" of His kingdom and under His protection (as will be the case in the MK).

But in the passage you cite, His kingdom was leaving. There would be war. He prophesied it in Mt 24, right? But the "swords" reference something else as well. When He said of 2 swords, "it is enough," I believe He was referring to the 2 Testaments of the Bible. That is, His physical kingdom brought physical protection -- now His spiritual kingdom would give spiritual protection. We don't protect His physical kingdom at the present nor will we usher it in by our power but we DO protect His spiritual kingdom, right?

skypair

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

OK, I see your point, but does God expect us to be defenseless? Good Christian people get killed every day. Is it God's will that me and my family die if an intruder breaks into our house and attacks us in the middle of the night? Or did God give me the ability to defend myself and my family?

These questions have been asked for hundreds of years, and I cant speak for everyone, but I beleive that God expects me to take care of my family first and foremost.

AJ

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

ABSOLUTELY! Protect your family if required! Whole nuther issue.

One thing I will add -- it seems to me that the 'defense' in the tribulation is going to be going town to town and asking for help as the 70 disciples did. If they help, God bless 'em. If they don't, move on shaking the dust from your feet. There WILL be those who will "give a cup of water to the least of these" during those days. They will be rewarded at the judgment, Mt 25:31-46.

skypair

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions like this can be answered usually by consulting universally recognized Bible commentaries.

http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/luke/mh/luke22.htm

14. PK

PK New Member

Because Colt hadn't made the 45 yet!

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ahh., come on, I think it would be a shiny Ruger Blackhawk :)

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does one purchase a spiritual sword? How do you scan it at checkout?

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

At Liveway. They usually say "Holy Bible" down the "sighting" device though it's better if you aim with the sight toward the ground! :laugh:

skypair

18. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He told them to buy swords because the Kingdom was offered and rejected.
    Instead of His Kindgdom being ushered in, please have a few more thousand years of violence.

IMO.

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now wait a min. I can't let this go. Luke 22:36 says
    Now if Jesus was talking about spiritual swords, was he also talking about spiritual purses, scrips, and garments? How exactly do I sell my spiritual garment so I can buy a spiritual sword? No, I have to believe Jesus was talking about real swords here.