1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Blindness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jan 11, 2007.

1. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    >If man can do anything on his own to bring about his own Salvation . . .

Of course we can't do anything "on our own," and no one has suggested that but you. And the reason you suggest it is because it allows you to argue that since we can't do anything "on our own" that we therefore can't do anything at all (omitting the possibility that we might can do something with God's help). I don't think such a leap is warranted. The Scripture says that when people asked the question, "What must I do to be saved," they were not told, "There is nothing you can do, God has already chosen and either you will be saved or not, but there is nothing you can do about it." Instead in every instance they were told exactly what they must do . . . repent and believe.

And just as it is true that we cannot do anything about our salvation without God, it is equally true that God refuses to do anything without us.

>Sin is the only choice I can see for that period of my life because doing what was right was never a choice of mine.

Of course you had a choice . . . all you had to do was call on the name of Jesus and you could have been saved long before you were. You are the one who put off your salvation, not God. The fact that you knew for so long and didn't turn to God in faith WAS your choice. Thank God He is patient with us and doesn't give up on us, because I had the same experience.

>This verse was about the physcial life of Jews.

You said unregenerate man can only choose sin. So what are you suggesting here? That violating the Law wasn't sin? Or that the commandment to choose wasn't really a choice?

In Christ,
    Deborah

2. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree Skypair, the Scripture has all kinds of testimony to the reason the Jews were blinded. It was by a sovereign act of God, that is true, but the reason for it was twofold: first, if they had understood what Moses was saying about Jesus they wouldn't have crucified him, but second, their blindness to the truth was the fruit of their own repeated stiff necked resistance to it:

"But I say, Did Israel not know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people . . . but Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not: I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me . . . .but to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people." Romans 10:19-21

In Christ,
    Deborah

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say man can't, man just doesn't come to the light with out even knowing it exist. Would you look for something you aren't aware of in the first place?
    If God helps then we aren't by our selves are we?

Why would anyone ask such a question unaware of the possibility of Salvation? Man is capable of doing all this but I've never seen one do it. If the man is aware then it is the work of God that he knows of it. The only way to know about Christ is by being told about it.
    If God doesn't have any of us He will destroy us all, simply because we wouldn't have fulfilled the purpose in which we were created
    Turning to God for me was a surrender what I surrendered wasn't God it was the sin I loved so much. Yes I submitted to Gods will to escape the slavery sin had on me.
    Man only has only two options. They are, to Sin or, not to sin. Violating the Law is rebellion and all rebellion is sin.
    This is the truth about what you call a commandment which wasn't a commandment but a choice to live physcially.
    Deu 30:18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
    Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Eternal life wasn't being discussed here (as above underlined in bold). This was about living on the Land. You used to it to show man has a choice to choose God and live. Man doesn't choose God and scripture clearly says so.
    Joh 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
    It was Christ that said we do not choose Him that He instead chose us.
    MB