1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Emphasis on Transportation?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 23, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If Americans were more thoughtful and less gullible, they might wonder why all the emphasis on transportation when there are so many soft targets. Shopping centers, for example. If there were enough terrorists in America to justify the existence of Homeland Security, bombs would be going off round the clock in shopping malls in every state. The effect would be far more terrifying than blowing up an airliner.

Indeed, if terrorists want to attack air travelers, they never need to board an airplane. All they need to do is to join the throngs of passengers waiting to go through the TSA scanners and set off their bombs. The TSA has conveniently assembled the targets.

Make up your own mind. What terrifies you the most. Terrorists, who in all likelihood you will never encounter in your lifetime, or the TSA that you will encounter every time you fly and soon, according to Pistole, every time you take a train, a subway, or drive in a car or truck?" - Paul Craig Roberts

- rest at www.informationclearinghouse.info/article26902.htm

At the start of one the seasons of the TV series, "24", hitting soft targets was what was going on. I thank God that it hasn't happened here like in the TV show.

The existence of "Homeland Security" sounds like something from a George Orwell novel. It should be one of the things that is cut from the federal budget and anything that is does that is truly useful and needs to be kept should go into other agencies, such as the FBI, Department of Defense, etc.

#1 KenH, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Poncho's link in this thread: www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=68783

"Terrorism has always been rare, and for all we've heard about 9/11 changing the world, it's still rare. Even 9/11 failed to kill as many people as automobiles do in the US every single month. But there's a pervasive myth that terrorism is easy. It's easy to imagine terrorist plots, both large-scale "poison the food supply" and small-scale "10 guys with guns and cars." Movies and television bolster this myth, so many people are surprised that there have been so few attacks in Western cities since 9/11. Certainly intelligence and investigation successes have made it harder, but mostly it's because terrorist attacks are actually hard. It's hard to find willing recruits, to co-ordinate plans, and to execute those plans -- and it's easy to make mistakes.

Counterterrorism is also hard, especially when we're psychologically prone to muck it up. Since 9/11, we've embarked on strategies of defending specific targets against specific tactics, overreacting to every terrorist video, stoking fear, demonizing ethnic groups, and treating the terrorists as if they were legitimate military opponents who could actually destroy a country or a way of life -- all of this plays into the hands of terrorists. We'd do much better by leveraging the inherent strengths of our modern democracies and the natural advantages we have over the terrorists: our adaptability and survivability, our international network of laws and law enforcement, and the freedoms and liberties that make our society so enviable. The way we live is open enough to make terrorists rare; we are observant enough to prevent most of the terrorist plots that exist, and indomitable enough to survive the even fewer terrorist plots that actually succeed. We don't need to pretend otherwise."

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say to Roberts that neither one terrifies me at all and ask him if that's what really terrifies his kind the most...

That his own brand of fearmongering isn't working so well either.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Aww, come on Ken. You know why terrorists don't attack soft targets here in the US:

1) it would lead to mass "profiling" by everyday people leading to a disruption of the so-called "moderates" who seek to take over our country the same way they are overtaking Europe.

2) those same everyday Americans ARE ARMED! They don't fight us the same way they do their own people because we can't be counted on to die. We might fight back and likely would.

When you allow a people to protect themselves, they are much safer than if you expect them to sit back and be protected. But since the TSA won't let us be part of the solution, I'll choose to drive rather than fly.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

None of this matters because it is government policy that US citizens are required to be afraid of something, anything, doesn't matter what. Been that way since FDR died.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

"Fear is a commodity and they're selling it." Kate Hanni, founder of FlyersRights.org

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

The emphasis on Transportation is so that when all their stupidity fails they can raise a false flag, declare an illegal martial law and freeze us in place, shut down the internet and take over the nation. Any area that fails to comply will have their electrical grid severed from the national grid.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, Just a thought - The hijacking on 11 Sep - first they thought it would be much more deadly - A) less people were going to be at the WTC / or had not arrived - B) the Pentagon plane did not do as much damage as probably expected and C) United Airlines Flight 93 departs 42 minutes late - then thur phone conversation, the passengers knew their fate - and thus saved many lives in DC

Now that they have Americans all alarmed at possible attacks on airline -they know Americans overreact - all attention is on the airports. This now gives the terrorists an opportunity to strike other population centers - Super Bowl, state fairs, shopping ctrs and ect.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plus, Salty, after 9/11/2001 passengers on planes will not just sit back and hope everything works out nor will they just sit back and let suspicious activity on a plane go unnoticed.

If terrorists are ever able again to pull off a major attack I doubt it will be using the same tactics as on 9/11/2001.

10. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Right now, those terrorists don't have to do much. They already have us removing our own rights and freedoms from ourselves. Why do something to screw that up?

They'll have to wait until we calm down, and then stir us up again by attacking softer targets.

11. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I saw a Tee Shirt offered depiciting the original Homeland Security (Agency) as Oridinary Citizens armed under the 2nd Amendment.

My answer, in addition to what the Israeli's are already doing, is that each person with a concealed acrry license be ordered to carry, on all forms of transportation and be issued frangible rounds at the airport gates.

That would preclude all but a total fool from doing anything in the cabin...

Of course... There's always the freight.

BTW: I had already decided to drive the last two times I was sent out for training. And, especially now, I will do so for the foreseeable future. And, yes I carry, being licensed to do so in two states.

The nice thing about driving is that I can take my wife with me! :)