1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why The Feeding of the 5000 In All...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 18, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've been pondering this question lately: Why is the feeding of the 5000 in all four Gospel narratives? Why so much attention to it? For example, there was a feeding of 4000, but not all the Gospel narratives recorded it.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that event contributes to the attribute of Christ that each author focused upon: Matthew, Christ as King; Mark, Christ as Servant; Luke, Christ as Man; and John, Christ as God.

How it supports each, I'm not sure, but if I were more interested in the question, I would begin my study with this assumption.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is proof that the first christians were NOT baptists.
    Had they been, the Lord would have fed 5,000 with
    fried chicken and instead of baskets, they Twelve would
    have collected covered dishes.

:laugh: :laugh:

4. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Oh, that is just too funny! :laugh:

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

TC -- I don't know why all 4 gospels describe it but I believe it is one of the sign miracles of Jesus in John. It comes right after the healing of the impotenet man at Bethseda which signifies Israel being healed just before the tribulation.

Then notice here that the boy produced 5 barley loaves and 2 fishes. These have really strong significance in my understanding of the event. Wheart is the grain of Israel and the more common barley signifies the Gentiles.

There are 5 loaves. There will be 5 churches left behind all or in part in Rev 2-3.

There are 2 fishes. These represent the 2 witnesses, likely Moses and Elijah, the latter of whom will come to restore all things (Mal 4:5).

The bread and fish are broken -- they are martyred. There will be a great martyrdom among the left behind church who convert after the rapture. They will appear in heaven martyred in the 5th seal, Rev 6:9.

12 baskets of left overs symbolizes the 12 tribes of Israel at midtrib to be witnesses. The next scene is the disciples taking the baskets across the stormy Sea of Galilee in the midst of which Christ comes to them on the water. I do believe the sometime while Israel is in the midst of the tribulation, there will be a "visitation" by Christ (Zech 12:10) and many will believe including the 144,000 from each tribe. And then very soon they were at the other shore, the MK.

(Wanna discuss the rest of the 7? Dr Rogers was into the idea of the signs but saw them a little differently.)

skypair

#5 skypair, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  6. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

I don't agree with Skypair's analysis of this event, but I do agree with this statement. It is very significant, especially in the Gospel of John.