Why the Missional Church Will Fail

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by gb93433, Sep 16, 2011.

1. gb93433

gb93433
    Expand Collapse

It’s time we start being brutally honest about the missional movement that has emerged in the last 10-15 years: Chances are better than not it’s going to fail.

That may seem cynical, but I’m being realistic. There is a reason so many movements in the Western church have failed in the past century: They are a car without an engine. A missional church or a missional community or a missional small group is the new car that everyone is talking about right now, but no matter how beautiful or shiny the vehicle, without an engine, it won’t go anywhere.

The rest of the article is at http://www.churchleaders.com/pastor...een-why-the-missional-movement-will-fail.html

2. exscentric

exscentric
    Expand Collapse

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

4. gb93433

gb93433
    Expand Collapse

5. Deacon

Deacon
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

Thanks gb,

Seems the article says a church should be involved in a mission (evangelism) and training (discipleship).
    What a novel idea!
    It will never work. :tongue3:

Rob

6. exscentric

exscentric
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.

Reminds me of a church we visited in South Carolina The teacher read Matthew 28:18ff (great commission) and opened the floor to discussion. The hour went fairly quickly speaking of soup kitchens, clothing give aways and everything else under the sun EXCEPT discipleship/missions.

The teacher (woman) turned to me and said that I hadn't said anything - "what do you think?" :) Don't ever ask a preacher that :)