1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why The Need?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Baptist4life, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The Lockman Foundation might not agree with you, Amy...

It seems to me the NASB95 isn't quite as wooden as the original NASB. Of course some may say a little of the accuracy of the original NASB was sacrificed in order to publish the NASB95. I have both the original NASB and the NASB95 in the Ryrie Study Bible. All I can say is I love 'em both.

:love2:

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It's amazing onlyists hasn't jumped on this one. Or have they? The 2001 edition makes it sound as if the goats were in charge of Laban's sons. The 2007 edition clarifies that Laban's sons were in charge of the goats. Of course this is just an example of the imperfection of Bible translations. God's word was originally perfect, but, alas, translations and translators are not perfect. My ESV is the 2001 edition, so I would have always thought the goats were in charge of Laban's sons if you hadn't pointed this out, Ann. Thanks!

(Now I have to remember to remove my tongue from my cheek before I bite it. Ouch! To late!)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It was so hard to find out that was an error. My entire theology was based on that one verse and now I just don't know what to trust. Goats? God? My Bible? My mailman? What do I do now. :tear: It's just so hard....

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Geneva Bible was last updated in 1599, yet the KJV project was launched in 1603 and completed in 1611. Was it necessary? No, but translators have been making and updating English Bibles from the beginning of English. Why was that OK way back then but wrong today? Why do so many deride the work of others and automatically ascribe negative motives for what they do? I am glad that there are many good English translations to chose from. If you do not like it, then use what you like and leave the rest of us alone. When I am sitting alone in Starbucks sipping coffee and reading my NIV, do not come over and tell me I am not reading a real Bible and that I need to get a real Bible so I can get saved. Mind your own business. It is you that is causing division and other problems over Bible versions. I do not push my choices onto others and you need to stop trying to push your choices onto us.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I can feel your pain, Ann. Or is what I'm feeling the result of biting my tongue while it was in my cheek? Whatever...

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

You can afford Starbuck's in today's economy? That must be a good job you have, TC! Where can I apply?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So if this is true, why keep making more and more translations that will still be filled with errors?

Re: the NASB's, I have done some comparison and the differences are so slight they don't even matter. (Regardless of what the translators say :))

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hi, Amy,

The updated NASB modernized some language and changed the "Thees" and "thous" to just "you," which I prefer. In fact, the only thing I do not like about my NASB Thompson-Chain is that it is not updated and does not come in an updated NASB version.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread has said the NIV wasn't a "real" bible. Those kinds of remarks are what get people riled up. This thread isn't KJVO. The question was "why does there have to be so many versions?" I think it's a valid question. I'm sorry you see that as being "divisive".

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. I know Marcia. I like the thees and thous better. :laugh:

Other than that, there is virtually no difference. But that is my opinion. I'm sure they'll come out with another update someday and it will be even better.....and better....and better. See my point?

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I believe most translators have the right motivation - to bring the word of God to modern readers in the best translation they can produce. I also believe those who produce various study Bibles have good intentions. As far as some of the publishers...??? It's just an educated guess, but I would say that once the work of translation is finished those on translation committees probably don't make much more money from their efforts. My guess is that the publishing houses are the ones who rake it in after publication. I may be wrong. I think I was wrong once before...or is that just my memory failing?

Oops! There's that tongue-in-cheek thing again!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Duplicate post - sorry!

#32 Keith M, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's my point.

Be careful. It's gonna get stuck in there. :D

14. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I agree completely. The number of translations is overwhelming, especially for a new Christian who has never read the bible. When I was a new Christian, I read the NIV...it was the easiest for me to read and understand. As I have become more mature in my faith, my desire was for a more literal version, so I have recently been reading the NASB and love it. I don't find the NASB at all awkward to read; in fact, I like it better than the ESV. The HCSB doesn't seem that much different than the NIV, so I'm not sure why the necessity for that translation.

Perhaps it really is all about $$$$$....

15. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, Baptist4life, that is probably the reason most often given; but most translations do not exist to satisfy that particular need. Obviously, some versions exist for purely sectarian reasons (NWT, Inspired Version, Clear Word, etc.). Some were created to address readers with lower levels of comprehension or vocabulary (CEV, NCV, BBE, etc.). Some are based on different underlying texts (think Wycliffe, Lamsa, etc.). Some utilize a different translation methodology (The Message vs. Young's, for example). Some probably were created to address a financial need (Smith's and HCSB, for example). Some sound better read aloud than others. Some are British in style (NEB, REB), some American (ASV). Some are ridiculous (think Cotton Patch, Klingon, etc.). Some are out of date (when it comes to idioms, spelling, etc.). Knowledge has increased (archaeology, philology, etc.) with a demostratable affect on Bible translation ("pim" for example). If you think about it, there are many legitimate (and illegitimate) reasons to explain multiple English versions.

Many versions have been developed by individuals (Moffat, Wymouth, Goodspeed, Darby, etc.) clearly for their own reasons (not necessarily $); the aim of most is to further expand our understanding of the Scriptures. How can you complain of too many Bibles? If anything, its a good 'problem' to have (as opposed to the alternative).

#35 franklinmonroe, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  16. Thermodynamics

I am an ESV1EDBIBCSLOist (English Standard Version 1st Edition Bound in Black Calf Skin Leather Onlyist) so I believe the goats were in fact in charge of Laban's sons.

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That is true. I agree with you.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Many Christian bookstores in order to survive for one reason: CHANGE. The marketing demands the profits. These businesses require making money – the PROFITS! In fact, the entire publishing industries are travelling this road to riches use of continuous revisionism of their copyrighted editions of the Word. Why should profit-making become confused with the scared job of producing faithful editions of Scripture?

19. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Actually, the RSV had the same wording.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's the exact same reason they print multiple kinds of the KJV.

The "KJV Bible Store" has over 50 different kinds of KJV Bibles.

So what's the big deal? Just another 'red herring' to use against MV's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.