1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Red Heifer?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Aug 10, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I had thought that the red heifer was offered for those declared unclean from toughing the dead. i just re-read Numbers 19 -- The red heifer happens to be in the same chapter as the laws regarding touching the dead, but it doesn't seem to apply to it. so, what is the purpose of the red heifer sacrifice? and why is it in the book of Numbers and not in the book of Leviticus?

-- Numbers 19:1-

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

To err is human. To forgive, bovine.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I like the crack, as well.

As to the first linked article, it seems that this goes far beyond what the Scripture offers, in speculation. As to how many hairs that were white or black can 'disqualify' this does not seem to be in Scripture, so I'd offer that perhaps we see another case of where 'the Word of God is made of no effect by your tradition', along the lines of what Jesus said. And would add that this seems to me to be 'overspeculation'. How about it?

I could not get the second link to appear.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Ed,

I had read somewhere that the Torah (written, oral and tradition) called for a max of 1 white or black hair per thousand but cannot remember where I read it. Forbes is a Methodist but I found the article interesting and do remember reading the mentioned article in Newsweek in 97, I thought I had it in my files but have been unable to find it.

The second article is written by Jimmy DeYoung and deals with the seclusion of selected children in Israel who are being prepared as clean priests through a sterile environment in order to be able to sacrifice the red heifer. Which would mean that the search for the ashes of the red heifer have turned up null and void.

"The children will remain in the compound until a red heifer is found, after which they will eventually prepare the mixture that they believe will purify the Jewish people and enable them to go onto the Temple Mount and enter areas that to date have been halachically off limits.
    It's quite interesting to note that the Mishna, extra-biblical Jewish writings, speaks of a similar situation in tractate Para
    (chapter 3). The Mishna describes a setup where courtyards in Jerusalem were built on hollow rock, through which impurity did not pass. This pattern would be followed in the new compound.
    This would enable pregnant women to go there and give birth to their babies. The mothers would wear special clothing to prevent impurity from being transferred to the children. Here the mothers would raise their children. The children would then be brought to the Temple to prepare the red heifer solution."

The web site at the address just takes a while to load but will eventually come up.

http://millennianet.com/atpro4se/45colleague.ht

thjplgvp