1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Salvation Army does not baptize

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Army

Another website indicated that wearing the uniform is the equivalent of being baptize. The only problem with that is the "enlisted soldiers" do not wear uniforms.

Salty

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Those are their convictions, and they have a right to have them. I read their reasons for ceasing with baptism and communion, and I can understand where they are coming from.

As they are my brothers and sisters I respect their right to those convictions. May God continue to abundantly bless their faithfullness to the gospel and ministering to those in need.

Mike

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, the Army does a good job in social issues - that was the reason for their formation.

However, I cannot accept their "convictions" when they go against Biblical commands.
    Now suppose they had a "conviction" against using music in services - I do not agree with that stand (yes, the COC -NI have that belief), but it is not a biblical command one way or the other. Therefore, I could respect that belief.

So, I agree they have a "right" to their belief, but I do not respect that particular belief (lack of baptist).
    This does not mean I cannot have fellowship with them, I most certainly can. My main test of fellowship is salvation - by grace thur faith

Salty

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have a question, asking because I don't know. But is everyone in or a part the salvation army a christian? What about the guy who works in those stores, puts stuff on the shelves or works at the register?
    Reading the link does not make me respect them thats for sure, baptist is unneeded, I don't thik so. Baptism is not a part of salvation, but it is obedience to God. After salvation His first command is to be baptized, if we fail to obey here when and where can we be obedient then? I'm sure people in Jesus' and Paul's time had different thoughts and opinions too, but they were still obedient.

#4 donnA, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I always thought it was because the Sallys didn't regard themselves as a 'Proper Church' but rather a para-church organisation along the lines of the Full Gospel Businessmens' Fellowship, at least in their early days and hence they thought that such quasi-sacramental things as baptism and communion should be left to the mainstream denominations; it was assumed that when you joined the SA you were already baptised.