1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Sunday-keeping Church thinks of Sunday as the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry I introduced this thread but haven't had time to keep up with its progress. I would like to get it back on the track I would have liked to see it take, with these questions,

What, is 'Scriptural'; what would make an 'argument' for or against the First Day as Day of Christian worship, 'scriptural'; what would prevent it from being 'Scriptural'?

I mean more than repeating verbatim 'snippets' from, Scripture.

I cannot yet pay nearer attention to individual posts, but think I have given you some homework if you will.
    Thanks.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. It is quite evident from the Acts-narrative that their were two groups of monotheism: the Jews and then the Christians.

2. The Jews had their Sabbath and the Christians had the Lord's Day.

3. trustitl

trustitl New Member

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your argument seems to be of the form "if anyone tries to trick you into doing what scripture actually says then you will be lost".

Not sure I am comfortable with that kind of "solution"

#1. My Bible has 66 books - not just 27.
    #2. ALL scripture is inspired and to be used for doctrine 2Tim 3:16
    #3 "IF you love Me KEEP My COMMANDMENTS" John 14:15 are the words of Christ - not of men
    #4. Christ condemns the teaching that the Word of God is to be abolished broken or negated in Matt 6.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

BobR,

Got a couple questions --- do you celebrate Passover? the Feast of Tabernacles? Pentecost? Those are all "Sabbaths," right?

skypair

6. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I didn't say anything about being lost. Is that something waying heavily on your mind? I just pointed out that you are teaching something that takes away something that a believer has: a reward and liberty. Your understanding of liberty is "I can do whatever I want" and nothing will happen. That is not liberty in the US and it isn't in the kingdom of God either. Our reward and liberty is walking in TRUTH with the Spirit of God. Until you experience it, it is hard to understand. It is sad that so many have used their "liberty as an occasion to the flesh". I believe it contributes to those who are weak in faith to take the road you are travelling.

I find it interesting that you didn't comment on the verses from the last 27 books of your bible. Until you are willing to read them without your false doctrines in the way you will never walk in truth. Why do you want to live under the ministration of death and condemnation when grace is available?

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

I will take the exceedingly more glorious ministrations.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan
    Your argument seems to be of the form "if anyone tries to trick you into doing what scripture actually says then you will be lost".

Not sure I am comfortable with that kind of "solution"

#1. My Bible has 66 books - not just 27.
    #2. ALL scripture is inspired and to be used for doctrine 2Tim 3:16
    #3 "IF you love Me KEEP My COMMANDMENTS" John 14:15 are the words of Christ - not of men
    #4. Christ condemns the teaching that the Word of God is to be abolished broken or negated in Matt 6.

Not sure how your invoking "letter kills" in connection with those who are arguing in favor of scripture on the topic of Christ Creator's Holy day is bendable to "kills but not in a loss of salvation kinda way".

Back to the point raised in this post -- Feel free to explain rather than attack.

Also feel free to note the "inconvenient detail" that all my appeals to John 14, Matt 6, 2Tim 3, (and the list could go on) ARE references to the instruction given in the last 27 books!

in Christ,

Bob

#107 BobRyan, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are trying to bend Paul's argument in 2Cor 3 in a way that slices and dices scripture into the "acceptable" vs the "unnacceptable" -- which is an abuse of the text.

Paul himself argues in Eph 6:1-4 for the continued authorotative role of the OT text and EVEN the Ten Commandment text (just as James does in James 2).

Your segment-slice-and-dice attempt from 2Cor 3 does not stand the test of scripture EVEN from a NT standpoint!

And worse - it folds scripture back on itself to create "two gospels" which Paul also condemns.

in Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The annual shadow "predictive" Sabbaths of Lev 23 are centered in now-expired animal sacrifices and clearly point foreward to RESCUE in Christ as savior..

The MEMORIAL weekly Sabbath Gen 2:3 is centered in rest and worship and points BACK to Christ as Creator -- "Worship HIM who MADE the heavens and the earth" Rev 14... yes -- even post cross as we see in Rev 14 the focus is on Christ our Creator and Worship based on the Creation event facts.

Skypair - question for you..

How does the end of annual animal sacrifices "create" a command in scripture to keep week-day-1 holy? (Getting back to the OP)

in Christ,

Bob

#109 BobRyan, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

Now here's the kind of stuff I expected for an answer to my 'thread-title'. What support have you for your last statement - from all the Scriptures, this very one referred of Acts 15 included?

Will you please elaborate specifically, because I want to see how you get to your second conclusion. I shall find your explanation most interesting. (Don't let others do it for you. Bob, hang on with all your quotes for a while - let's give the gentleman ample opportunity to state his case.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob Ryan,

"How does the end of annual animal sacrifices "create" a command in scripture to keep week-day-1 holy? (Getting back to the OP)"

GE

Ja, this is it! But let's make the question a bit broader, let's simply make it, 'How does 'the Law'/'Scripture', "create" the idea to Christian esteem of week-day-1? (Getting back to the OP)

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Trustit! post 103 referring.

This thread is an invitation to Sundaydarians, not for Sabbatharians.

But explain to me please the omission that you have made in your making use (I won't call it abuse yet) of Colossians 2? How is it you left out verse 18 especially?

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. A careful read of the Acts-narrative would reveal a tension between the Jews who met on the Sabbath and the people of the Way, the Christians.

2. We see this from Acts 20:1ff and the numerous opposition Paul met from the Jews. We need to remember why Paul wen to the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-4).

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And something else, trustit!, how is it I don't find the words you quoted under Colossians 2 verses 1 onwards? Was it deliberate? Or are you perhaps referring (not much of a quote after your placing it in apposition with Colossians 2, is it?) ... referring to another Scripture?

#114 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Trustit! post 103 referring.

This thread is an invitation to Sundaydarians, not for Sabbatharians.

But explain to me please the omission that you have made in your making use (I won't call it abuse yet) of Colossians 2? How is it you left out verse 18 especially?

1. A careful read of the Acts-narrative would reveal a tension between the Jews who met on the Sabbath and the people of the Way, the Christians.

2. We see this from Acts 20:1ff and the numerous opposition Paul met from the Jews. We need to remember why Paul wen to the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-4).

GE

You refer to Acts 17 and 20. I asked you about leaving out verses 18 and 19 of Colossians 2.

But nevermind, I'll ask you this re your reference to Acts: Does not 'a careful read of the Acts-narrative reveal a tension between the Jews and the people of the Way, the Christians, who met on the Sabbath? Is this not a true question? (Yes, I do imply your conclusion is false because it is based on the false presupposition of " ... a tension between the Jews who met on the Sabbath --- and the people of the Way, the Christians."

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    trustit!

"1. A careful read of the Acts-narrative would reveal a tension between the Jews who met on the Sabbath and the people of the Way, the Christians.

2. We see this from Acts 20:1ff and the numerous opposition Paul met from the Jews. We need to remember why Paul wen to the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-4)."

GE

How could you think your 'argument' wouldn't be recognised for its stereo-typicality? Its rather boring. This was heavy artilary for more than five centuries. But today atom bombs are the only thing that save one's skin.

17. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Sunday keeping

GE

I was not the one that brought in Acts 17.

Also, I am not quite sure what you are getting at regarding Col 2:18-19. To me these verses didn't really seem to be addressing those teaching keeping the law. It appears that some were into "angel worship" and voluntary humility (which was probably some form of asceticism) that Paul saw as taking away from Christ the same way the handwriting of ordinances did.

Also, I am not a Sundaydarian or Sabbatharian. I think both sides pushing(not practicing) their view are wrong. If you want to do either, do it unto the Lord without talking about it for a couple of years and see how you feel.

Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things(including the issue addressed in vv. 5-6) serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. 19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

It is sad that some unbelievers may visit this site and ask "why dost thou set at nought thy brother? (V. 10) instead of saying look at them edify each other(v 19).:tear: I say this as somebody that was guilty of judging my brother regarding this issue and saw the "fruit" it bore.

Acts 17 and 20 do not seem to provide a lot of support for making a doctrine which clearly contradicts the truths in Romans 14. They did these things. Does that mean we need to? Ever do a holy kiss, have your wife wear a headcovering, refuse to eat some meats...? Look at some modern examples - dividng based on music styles, clothes, modes of education,... God is saddened by it all.

So my answer to the question "Why does the Sunday-keeping church think of Sunday as the Sabbath?" is that they think the early church did it so we should to. Paul would say:

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

There, I didn't leave them out this time! :thumbs:

Thanks for asking. God bless!

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God said "honor your father and mother" not "if you prefer then go ahead and honor your parents -- otherwise just do as you please"?

Can we at least get agreement there?

In that case - is the "Remember the Sabbath day... for in six days the Lord Created... and rested the seventh day therefore the lord Blessed the Sabbath and made it holy" in the form of a "suggestion"? Is it in a form that could be applied to any non-sabbath weekday?

Paul says "What matters is keeping the commandments" 1Cor 7:19 -- what does he mean?

Could it be stretched to include Observing week-day-1?
    Ignoring scriptures as we find them in Acts 17:11?
    Ignoring the pre-cross words of Christ John 15:14? "If you Love Me KEEP My commandments"?

in Christ,

Bob

#118 BobRyan, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  19. trustitl

trustitl New Member

If keeping the commanments here is referring to the law why would Paul have just told someone they don't need to do something in the law ie. be circumcised?
    v.18 "Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised."

Obvioulsy the sabbath is the 7th day, Bob. And obviously God didn't say to the Jews "if you prefer..." These ae really elementary arguments.

Why is it so hard to see that the Kingdom of God is different than the kingdom of Isreal? You do not do sacrifices because you see that it no longer applies to you. The "slicing and dicing" (as you like to say I do with the scriptures) of the law into the moral, civil, and ceremonial is man-made. The law is the law, and God said to do it all. Then do it all or see that the purpose of the law is passed for the children of promise.

Gal. 3:19 "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;"

Gal 4:28 "Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise."

Gal 4:21 "Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all."

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian