1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the vitriol?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by doulous, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He seeks such to worship Him in Spirit and in truth and the Spirit utters words:

Romans, chapter 8
    "26": Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    (Being a mute has nothing at all to do with salvation.)

You cannot prove nor do you have Scriptures that the man was already saved before he asked Jesus to "remember me". This is one you can't run to Romans or anywhere else but will just have to take it. I am not making this in bold to be rude but to make a point, ok? If it is offending you please let me know.

2. doulous

doulous New Member

He seeks such to worship Him in Spirit and in truth and the Spirit utters words:

Romans, chapter 8
    "26": Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    (Being a mute has nothing at all to do with salvation.)

You cannot prove nor do you have Scriptures that the man was already saved before he asked Jesus to "remember me". This is one you can't run to Romans or anywhere else but will just have to take it. I am not making this in bold to be rude but to make a point, ok? If it is offending you please let me know.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Brother Bob, when do you believe the thief on the cross came to faith in Christ?

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Doulous;
    What else would I believe. Of course he had to have faith to come to Christ for without faith you cannot please God. You think if the thief had not of pleased the Lord He would of said "this day thou shalt be with me in paradise".
    Do you join those that say the thief was saved before he came to the cross or before he cried out to the Lord "remember me"?

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Personally I would like to see a Calvinist here debate some theological point here for more two posts without turning it into a Calvinistic debate. Or even, I must be joking to even suggest this, start a thread that has nothing to do with any of the five points of Calvinism. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Pay attention. Threads I started that have nothing to do with Calvinism:

The 10-40 window
    Because of the Angels
    The Purpose Driven Life
    How can salt lose its saltiness?

Some (not all) of these ended up including comments about election vs. free will, but that's not how I started them.

5. doulous

doulous New Member

Brother Bob, well...as a strong believer in the doctrine of election I believe God preordained the thief on the cross to come to faith. But I do not agree with some of my more ardent Presbyterian brethren who would say the thief was always saved because he was elect. The elect will come to faith in Christ, but not until they they repent and place their faith in Christ. This is why I agree with Romans 10:9,10 and John 3:16.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Brother Bob, well...as a strong believer in the doctrine of election I believe God preordained the thief on the cross to come to faith. But I do not agree with some of my more ardent Presbyterian brethren who would say the thief was always saved because he was elect. The elect will come to faith in Christ, but not until they they repent and place their faith in Christ. This is why I agree with Romans 10:9,10 and John 3:16. </font>[/QUOTE]Do Presby's really believe that? Not the ones I know.

7. doulous

doulous New Member

Brother Bob, well...as a strong believer in the doctrine of election I believe God preordained the thief on the cross to come to faith. But I do not agree with some of my more ardent Presbyterian brethren who would say the thief was always saved because he was elect. The elect will come to faith in Christ, but not until they they repent and place their faith in Christ. This is why I agree with Romans 10:9,10 and John 3:16. </font>[/QUOTE]Do Presby's really believe that? Not the ones I know. </font>[/QUOTE]I should have said "some Presbyterians." Sorry.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I find that, just like many other denominations, Presbys are all over the map. Unless you've read the mission statement or know a church's affiliation, you can walk into one Presbyterian church and they're teaching sound doctrine, walk into another, and they're teaching hypercalvinism, and walk into a third, and the preacher is a lesbian teaching who knows what. ;) (Okay, I have no real evidence that this third example is true, but I thought I'd include it for fun, considering some of the controversies.)

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Cutting kinda close there wasn't he fellows. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good ole elect answer for everything. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am amazed that here was the "elect" hanging on a cross for stealing and who knows what and just by the skim of his teeth the Lord grabbed him. Man we never know who we walking around with, do we? :( :( jeepers how convenient. Here we are spending our lives trying to convince the world to repent and all the time the Lord will grab them at the last second. :mad: :mad:

11. whatever

whatever New Member

Matt. 20:1-16 made some folks mad too.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

At least they did labor, would you call that works?

13. whatever

whatever New Member

I think you missed the point.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The gravity of his sins is significant, how?

And you know this how? Do you have some extra-biblical knowledge of the moment this man was saved?

I know. We spend so much energy evangelizing, and then the Lord Jesus goes off and saves someone without our help, and without so much as a "by your leave". Dang, I hate it when He does that. How dare He?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sure hope you are not wrong and the Lord predestinated you to believe you are saved when in fact you are not. Sure would be a shame after all the bragging you have done on here. BTW some of you are the ones who said he was saved while hanging on the cross and some of you said before the cross and some I don't know what they were saying to be honest but sure hope the Lord don't get Glory out of you when He tells you He was just kidding. You talk about extrabibical knowledge when you are the ones saying He was saved when he said we rightly receive our just reward without any bibical proof whatsoever. Also, you never have given an answer for the non-baptism. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

No Whatever, I didn't miss the point there was just another point there you missed. ;)

[ April 28, 2006, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Brother Bob ]

16. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Personally I would like to see a Calvinist here debate some theological point here for more two posts without turning it into a Calvinistic debate. Or even, I must be joking to even suggest this, start a thread that has nothing to do with any of the five points of Calvinism. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Pay attention. Threads I started that have nothing to do with Calvinism:

The 10-40 window
    Because of the Angels
    The Purpose Driven Life

Some (not all) of these ended up including comments about election vs. free will, but that's not how I started them.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am paying attention, and I suggest that you do as well. I was merely going over the active threads on this board under "Baptist Theology & Bible Study."

So far since last night, one new Calvinist thread started by a Calvinist, and one border-line Calvinist thread started by a Calvinist. Stay tuned.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I decided some time ago they should name this board The Calvinist Baptist Board. [​IMG]

18. doulous

doulous New Member

The 10-40 window
    Because of the Angels
    The Purpose Driven Life

</font>[/QUOTE]I am paying attention, and I suggest that you do as well. I was merely going over the active threads on this board under "Baptist Theology & Bible Study."

So far since last night, one new Calvinist thread started by a Calvinist, and one border-line Calvinist thread started by a Calvinist. Stay tuned.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'll be starting another one too! If you go to my blog you can sign up for automatic email alerts whenever I start a Calvinist thread.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Me too. I trust in the Lord Jesus and not my own ability to decide one way or another. But if I'm deceived and I'm not saved and spend eternity in hell, then so be it. God can and will do whatever He wants with me according to His own good pleasure. He is, after all, God.

The Bible doesn't say whether he was saved on the cross, or beforehand. Therefore my answer as to whether or not he was saved on the cross would have to be "I don't know".

As for your question about baptism, again, I don't know. He may have been baptized 6 months before he was on the cross, for all I know. He may never have been baptized. You will probably quote the verse that makes baptism a requirement. However, if God wants to make an exception, what is that to you? It is certainly nothing to me. He doesn't need to check with me first before He does anything. He is, after all, God.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, nepet;
    I am one who says he made the exception. Some were saying that they must be bapized and water was where the salvation is.
    I certainly hope you are one of them too nept. I don't wish you no ill will at all, may God be with you.
    Bob