1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why use an Apple Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Dale-c, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

2. David J

David J New Member

Mac's are PC's now running OSX.

Since the Macs are “cough” using “cough” PC processors Apple has entered the PC world head on. Apple's current business model for controlling hardware will not work and it will only keep Macs behind the PC. They only thing between a PC and a MAC is OSX. You guys can spin this fact all day but instead of spin I would like some real answers and proof.

The myth about Macs being better quality that PC's is a myth today. Maybe years ago this was true but today this is false.

The myth that a same quality PC costing more than the equivalent Mac is false. Again show me the proof. Use an Intel Mac vs. equal PC as an example please.

It's all about being honest people. Since Apple went to Intel Apple will be forced to change it's business model or continue to stay small. Running XP or Vista on a Mac will not save Apple Macs. Sorry but why should I pay more for a Mac when I can buy a more powerful PC to run XP/Vista?

Yes I like Macs but I hate Apple bad business model that prevents growth and better hardware.

Without the Ipod and Itunes where would Apple be right now?

Laugh at me know but I see Mac clones in the future. Before you say this will be the death of Apple(they did it in the 90's etc...remember that in the 90's PC and Macs were very expensive to own unlike today) list your proof or admit you no nothing about making money, growing, and being competitive in todays economics LOL!

Sorry about the ruff over tone here but dishonest people really bug me in forums when all one has to do is scroll back to see what was actually written. :tear:

Please don't spin. Address my points with facts. Saying my points are an opinion is not addressing my points.

Example:

Comparing PC vs. Mac (please note that the PC can be upgraded with newer parts etc... unlike the iMac)

20 inch iMac

$1,799.00

Ships: Within 24 hours
    Free Shipping

20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 cache

1 gig 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250GB Serial ATA hard drive

Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

vs.

Dell XPS 600
    $1,790

Free Shipping

Pentium® D Processor 930 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with re-installation CD

Video Cards

256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2 DIMMs

160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache

20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months

1Yr Ltd Warranty4, 1Yr At-Home Service5, and 1Yr HW Warranty4 Support

#62 David J, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  3. David J

David J New Member

There recent commercials are probably making them a target. When a company makes claims about being secure Hackers will always test the waters.

I would suggest OSX users get an AV and make sure you are using your firewall. Do yer updates der sonny!

If Linux can be hacked then so can OSX(Unix).

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's weird.

I believe this is old news from last January or February. I believe the real vulnerability was handled by a security update early this year.

And sure, if you download a file (or one somehow downloads for you) that you don't know anything about and then run it, it might do some damage if you are logged in as an administrator.

But there's absolutely no indication that this sort of malware can propogate itself to other computers through the Mac OS.

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually Apple has always used PC (personal computer) processors. Currently, Apple is shipping computers with processors from Intel (DuoCore) and IBM (PowerPC).

And why are you getting choked up on the word, “using?”

Why? The new Intel Macs can run OS X or Windows depending on the need. And with some third-party software, you can run both operating systems at the same time with only a moderate performance hit to Windows.

Sounds like Apple can deliver the best of both worlds while the other companies can just dish out the same old thing.

Not the only difference, but it is a major difference. I could go into more detail, but you don’t sound like you are that interested in hearing about it.

It is impossible to “prove” something to someone who don’t really want to know. Let’s agree on the ground rules so we won’t waste energy providing information that you have no intention of accepting.

What information would you accept as “proof?”

Consumer Reports has been reporting just the opposite for the last few years. I’ve also found it to be true from personal experience.

The burden of proof is on you. Show us a study that demonstrates your point of view.

I don’t recall anyone making that claim. I think what is usually said is that Macs are comparably-priced to Windows systems.

If someone has made that claim, I’m sure they will follow through.

Yep. Let’s all be honest. I’ll hold you to that standard.

1. Why will Apple have to change? Apple has done its own thing for years... and has been very profitable while other PC manufacturers have been going under or merging to stay competitive.

2. Apple does not necessarily want to become an enormous company... especially, not at the expense of profit and quality.

I didn’t realize that they needed saving. Apple’s market share has had moderate growth over the past few years.

1. You generally don’t pay more, or much more, for a Macintosh than you would a comparable Windows-based unit. Certainly Apple doesn’t try to compete in the bargain-basement no-profit, no-quality segment of the market, and I’m glad.

2. And why should I spend good money to buy a Windows-only machine when I can spend about the same money and have access to all the Windows software AND all the Macintosh-exclusive software? Buying a Windows-based PC seems rather foolish in that light.

Apple’s business model is very aggressive right now and is poised for growth. And as far as better hardware, we’ve covered that false claim.

Furthermore, Apple has a well-deserved reputation for driving innovation in the industry. I can do things that the Windows crowd cannot... and I’m not choked by viruses.

Probably where they were a few years ago. A very strong computer manufacturer with several billion dollars worth of liquid assets, leading the industry in video editing, audio production, and graphic arts. The company has been very solid since 1999.

I don’t see clones in the future. They tried it in the past and it was nearly the death of the company... since they ARE a hardware company. Steve Jobs killed the clone program as soon as he came back to Apple.

As far as your demand for proof, you made an outrageous claim, the burden of proof is on you. The fact that there is no way to respond to an outrageous unsubstantiated assertion by no means indicates that I know nothing about economics. The fact that you posed your challenge that way demonstrates your lack of credibility.

I don’t have time to do the comparison, but I’ll get back to it soon.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think I was the one that stated a comparable Mac will cost less than a PC that is similar.
    Case in point is the Mac Mini vs the A-open mini PC.

It is $100 more for the A-Open and thespecs are nearly identical.
    Also, the Aopen is a clear knock off of the Mac.

Oh, and software.
    THe thing is, if you need or want iLife, that is where the savings are.
    I couldn't afford to do the things I do with iLife if I have to use windows programs.
    It would cost an estimated $250 to get that software for windows.

As far as better,,,you don't know until you try one for a while :)

7. nate

nate New Member

I like both Macs and PC's. Although I don't use Mac's that much I know they are excellent computers but so are Gateways Dells and other PC brands. I like the software that come's with a Mac (iMovie, and Garage Band are both excellent programs.) Although there is more software and especially more games for the PC. But this is just all my opinion.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Nate, this got way off topic, it was't meant to be a flame war, I was just trying to tell of the good experience that I had with Macs.

I know there are other good PC brands, the problem is that Windows itself holds them down.
    Many hardware companies make grreat machines.
    I was just trying to show average users that the Mac was a valid alternative.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am about sold on MACs. Our church just purchased 2, and they are just amazing. I think my next one will be a mac.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well have been dinging around with two older macs for a week plus and I see little reason to make a switch, nor have I seen any compelling reason to in this thread other than probable lack of viruses etc. As to lock ups, my xp units outdo the macs by a mile or two. I'm sure the integrated software is a plus as well.

Must admit I have enjoyed getting to know them and see how someone that was raised on them would like them.

Not saying I will never own one?????

Glad this thread came to pass, was of interest.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Exscentric,

As you can tell by my post< I think macs are better. Much better I may add. Yet when asked by others about buying one, I do not ALWAYS tell others that they should. This tread is about macs, but as a mac lover I would like to tell you a few reasons why not to by one.

1) If you use your computer mainly for business matters/ bookkeeping/speadsheets..I would just get a cheap PC. A mac could do it, but can not do it better then a PC.

2) If you use you computer for only word processing, macs and PCs are on the same level here too, no major speed is needed, you may as well find the cheapest PC you can find and buy it.

3) Games...PCs still have the best games. Macs can not touch PCs here.

4) Price. Just to buy the hardware, PCs cost less. However, this is as far as you get with this point. If you buy everything that comes with a Mac, you will end up paying more. Some is needed to run a PC (virus protection, firewall, backup software, etc) and others just make it nice to have. I better stop on this point, or I'll write more reasons to buy PCs.

For about most other reason I tell buyers to at least look at Macs. In the last 4-5 years Apple has really put their act together. This is why you see long time PC lovers buying Macs now. You said above that you ran older Macs and saw no need to change. It was not clear if you ran a new version of OSX, but if not, I would ask you to try this out. OSX is the best OS i have ever used. Now you may try it and still not like it. Or, you may have tried it already. A Mac is no longer just a machine. The real love is in the OS. It is my feeling, that Apple now sees this and this is the reason they changed to intel. Other then the fact they make cool looking machines, Apple is a software company nowadays. And boy have they been hot in the last 5 years.

The day is coming where you will go to Walmart, staples and the likes and buy a PC and then have a choice of OS. You will be able to pick Windows, Linix, Solaris.....or.....even Mac OSX to run on your new machine. You heard it hear 1st people. :)

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not just those who were "raised on them."

I finally came around to the Macintosh 1999 after I started working for a publishing company. All of the editors used Windows and all of the art directors used Macintoshes. That's when I first realized that the data from Windows applications could be used by Macintoshes. Then, us Windows people were constantly getting viruses given to us in stories submitted by freelance authors, and our software didn't always catch the viruses before there were serious consequences... and the Macs keep going. The Windows network we used would go down once or twice a day (and sometimes wouldn't come up for several days)... and the art directors networked their Macs together and continued working without interruption.

When it was time to replace my aging Windows machine in 2000, I went with a Macintosh. And I'm delighted that I did.

Windows has improved in a number of ways since 1999, but it is nowhere near the quality, reliability, and security of Mac OS X.

13. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I did forget one advantage - a large thumb to the nose toward Microsoft :laugh: and that might well make it worth it all.

Yep, older Mac OS and I'm sure there are some improvements in the newer ones. My son is returning to the mainland and has a new laptop, will twist an arm to snoop the newer stuff when he gets here.

Some one mentioned a bootable linux cd awhile back. Picked it up and gave it a whirl. Not bad system for free :applause: need to play with it some more but what I saw was impressive. I've tried several versions of Linux and never been able to get them to run.