1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why were Military recruiters not invited to CPAC

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Why were Military recruiters not invited to CPAC?

[​IMG] Mike Stark is a University of Virginia law student, a marine, and a citizen

Everyone is here... Michelle Malkin. Ann Coulter. Newt Gingrich. Duncan Hunter. Mitt Romney. Jeff Gannon. Sam Brownback. Melanie Morgan. John O'Neill... Oh so many heroes of the right...

And me.
    And let me tell you - they've really turned out impressive support. At a time when the conservative agenda polls in the thirties, one gets the impression that they are all here.
    I'm surrounded!

Something else these folks have done well is turn out the new generation of wingnuts. The average age of the attendee here has got to be below 30 - there are literally thousands of College Republicans moving about in Brownian style from exhibit to exhibit, conference to conference, speaker to speaker, ballroom to ballroom.
    Exhibit hall is stuffed to the gills. Freedom Alliance. Blogger's row. Heritage Foundation. American Spectator. Clare Booth Luce Foundation... the Koch group... Regent University. Several candidates have booths. Oddly enough, even the ACLU has a booth (even if they are placed in the back corner furthest from Exhibit Hall's entrance).
    Oh... but there's one notable - striking, even - absence.
    There are no military recruiters here. No United States Marine Corps. No Army, no Navy, no Air Force or National Guard - not even the Coast Guard is here. Thousands and thousands of College Republicans, but not a single recruiter in sight...
    Why?
    Well, I have a theory or two (Michelle Malkin doesn't agree with me, but more on that later).
    Let's try this: CPAC didn't want to be embarrassed when pictures were released that showed recruiters standing around looking lonely. Similarly, recruiters know it's a better investment of their time to troll "the other malls" rather than to recruit these nice white college boys.
    I'm not the only one that noticed.
    I spent much of my day (I'll post audio at CallingAllWingnuts.com later in the week) talking to female College Republicans. I admitted that many of them were particularly fetching - they are. But... I was wondering, I asked, given the fact that there are no recruiters at the event - but there are thousands of appropriately aged potential recruits... well... who would they find more attractive? A man in uniform that was willing to stand up for what he believed in, strap on the M-16, climb in the dirt and fight in the greatest moral imperative this country faces? Or a young guy that's willing to put on a suit, travel to an air conditioned hotel and drool over Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin.
    Every woman, save one, answered that the military man would be more attractive.
    The outlier is a repressed liberal. She told me that it would be hypocritical of her to condemn the boys that were unwilling to serve since she hasn't signed up herself.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

No one smart enough to get into any college should be stupid enough to enlist for the Bush War.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess your right, all those cadets West Point must be very dumb:tonofbricks:

4. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Thank you SALTLAKEBAPTIST for your comments!

When I read his statement, I was reminded about Kerry's statement regarding troops not being smart enough to stay out of the Iraq.
    Funny, he isn't gonna run for president now....wow!

My son is considering ROTC. Serving his country is something seen as honorable. For those of us serving now, must of us see it the same way.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Most cowards can figure out which way to run. It does not take a genius to avoid military service we have something today called the all volunteer army. I guess Bill must have missed that as he shipped his kids off to Canada.

Certainly military service is not for everyone and many men and women are physically unable to serve. Others may actually make a bigger contribution to our nation as civilians. But the idea of an intelligent man or woman choosing to serve their country does not fit in Bill's world image.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

You know that does not really fit the truth.

Link to the entire story: http://media-newswire.com/release_1043550.html

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Are you sure about that?
    Were you there?
    Did you see the recruiters?

How many of those recruits that helped the armed forces to meet or exceed their goals were members of the College Republicans? I remember when I was in the College Republicans, and not one single member opted for military service.

Regards, still praying for you and hope that you and yours are doing well,
    BiR

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least he listed one true hero.:applause:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No fair using facts to combat this contrived story.:smilewinkgrin:

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks BiR, I do appreciate your prayers.

I did not mean to imply that the recruiters were there, I am sure that part of the story is true. What I ment to contradict is the idea that the recruiters would have been "standing around looking lonely."

You may be right about College Republicans not being the first to enlist. When I was in School I was on an ROTC scholarship and avoided anything political.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Every single day, my brother-in-Christ.
    You were in my thoughts and prayers all day - I trust that all is well.

Regards from Tampa, FL!
    BiR

12. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

That may have been one of those comments that after you hit the send button you say to yourself "Why did I just do that"? Like mouth running ahead of the brain.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main question I have about recruitment at this point concerns the national guard.

If I were looking to enlist today (I can't--medically unqualified), I wouldn't entertain the notion of the guard for two seconds. At this point, going active seems more beneficial to a prospective soldier (guaranteed pay, no worrying about a job/cut in pay, full medical, etc.).

How is the guard doing on recruitment?