1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHy Would Anyone Think That...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...the writers of the three synoptic gospels would write in almost the same way? They were three different personalities. They would approach the same event or speech a bit differently.

That's one of the problems I have with fans of the TR and Majority Text. They seemingly ignore the smoothing-out between the various Gospel accounts. It seems there was an effort among later scribes to try and harmonize as much as possible. While the older and more reliable manuscript authors didn't fudge and try to match things up almost verbatim with parallel accounts.

Of course it doesn't just occur in the synoptic Gospels only but in other parts of the New Testament. And then,there are those places where a N.T. author is quoting from the O.T. In the TR and M.T. the tendency is to make the New Testament passage match as much as possible with the quote from the O.T. But in reality even Jesus paraphrased a good deal when He made reference to an O.T.citation.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've never heard that before. Do you have any examples?

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Were the 3 authors also using the "Q source?"

4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you post your opinion like it's a fact. :rolleyes:

#4 Baptist4life, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If so, maybe he has picked it up from KJV-only posters.

6. JesusFan

Agreed, Rippon should have posted" according to what is commonly accepted by most reputed scholars as being the best/most reliable manuscripts"

(wink wink)

7. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which again, are only someone's opinions. Look, NO ONE has the original manuscripts, so stating that one set is more reliable than others was/ is /and always will be, an opinion. At least be honest about it, and quit stating it as FACT. It's not, I don't care how many "scholars" you come up with. You do know there are plenty of "scholars" that think those "scholars" are wrong, don't you?

*wink wink*

#7 Baptist4life, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  8. JesusFan

Just saying that I agree with you that its a matter of preference/opinion, its just that the majority of modern scholarships would favor the CT approach, but NOT in a way that says MT/BZ would be bad texts, not suitable for using....

9. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

WHy Would Anyone Think That...
    ...the writers of the three synoptic gospels would write in almost the same way? They were three different personalities. They would approach the same event or speech a bit differently.

I don't know unless it's to try and discredit. I believe the four gospels are each man, communing with God in the spirit, and then wrote what they saw. It's an awesome thing.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'd still like to see some examples to be able to compare and see with my own eyes how the gospels were changed so as to make individual accounts agree with one another more. So far, it is just opinion.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

(emphasis mine)

Actually this statement reflects a lackluster understanding of textual criticism. We do actually with a great deal of certainty that the CT, which has been painstakingly reconstructed over the past 150 years, is within .0005% accuracy to the original text of every New Testament book.

This is not to say the MT is a poor manuscript, it just simply isn't the better one. It is sort of like comparing Brett Favre to Aaron Rogers. In his day Brett Favre did a wonderful job and absolutely was the best option at quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. That said, Aaron Rogers is now the better quarterback and, let's be honest, Favre couldn't keep up if he wanted now. Yet comparing both quarterbacks and their strengths during the peak of their careers you can see their legitimacy as quality quarterbacks. It isn't a statement against Favre, or Rogers, to say one works better now than in the past or one was better in the past than now.

The CT is the soundest document you will encounter from a thousand years before or after its time. The textual data we have available in reconstructing it is superior to any other text during that period. We should be thankful for it and for world-class scholars who contribute to its growth and refinement.

12. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't know how you can make that statement when you don't have the original manuscripts to compare with. You can't. How can you say "this manuscript is closer and more reliable to the original" when you don't HAVE the original.

BTW, your whole football QB analogy makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong. Use whatever version you want. I believe (my OPINION, if you will) that the TR is best. Can I state that as FACT. No. Nor do I try to. Neither should anyone make what is an unprovable statement as FACT.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have never understood that either. I also don't understand why God would keep the "best" manuscripts hidden for 1800 years. :confused:

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, I said I would debate you about Byzantine priority after you did some reading, but I can't let this pass.

There are many places where the Alexandrian CT harmonizes but the Byzantine does not. So what do you do about those cases? Surely then, by your principles here, you should insist on the Byz. reading instead of the CT.
    Please give examples of where Jesus "paraphrased a good deal" when quoting the OT. These general sstatements don't cut it.

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me, but this is a ridiculous statement. You pulled this .0005% statement out your hat, right? There is absolutely no way to ascertain this, and no true textual scholar has ever made a similar statement.

Um, the MT is not a manuscript. And in the opinion of various genuine textual critics the MT/Byzantine IS the better one, the true textform.
    Prove this please. I disagree. Convince me that the CT, done by the eclectic method, is better.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture Cited From 2011 NIV

There are places where the Byz. reading is superior to WH or NU. It is not a given that a CT rendering is always the best.

It sounds like a good idea for a thread. Also I could focus on paraphrases that Paul made as well.

Here are just a few for now. They are snips --not the entire passages.

Malachi 7:6 : I will send my messenger,who will prepare the way before me.
    Jesus quoted it in Matthew 11:10 as:I will send my messenger ahead of you,who will prepare your way before you.

Psalm 8:2 : Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and avenger.
    Jesus put it in a different way in Matthew 21:16: From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise.

Here are some examples from the writer,Matthew -- not Jesus.

Isaiah 42:1 : he will bring justice to the nations
    42:4 : In his teachings the islands will put their hope
    However, in Matthew 12:21 Matthew wrote: In his name the nations will put their hope.

Zechariah 9:9 : See,your king comes to you,righteous and victorious,lowly and riding on a donkey.
    Matthew's paraphrase: See,your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing fundamental was changed with respect to altering substantial teaching.

Nonetheless,I'll start with one example for you. I'll be using Philip W. Comfort's book : New Testament Text And Translation Commentary.I will only cite portions of his information.

Matthew 17:21 : WH NU : omit verse
    var/TR : add verse
    But this kind does not come out except by prayer and fasting

"The external evidence including this verse is substantial...If the verse was originally part of Matthew's gospel,there is no good reason to explain why it was dropped from so many early and diverse witnesses. Thus, it is far more likely that this added verse was assimilated from Mark 9:29 in its long form... Thus,a scribe took the full verse of Mark 9:29 as presented in his manuscript and inserted it here;most other manuscripts maintained this insertion in the transmission of the text... The verse is included in KJV and NKJV and excluded in all other modern versions except NASB and HCSB which include the verse in brackets." (p.51)

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to make a needed correction in that first sentence.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord has His reasons that mortals cannot quite fathom.

Remember king Josiah? Judah was without the Book of the Law for about 75 years when Hilkiah unearthed it during young King Josiah's reign.

The Lord has His purpose in all of this. But in the end it will all be to His glory.

I believe that even older manuscripts may be found in a few years that would certainly lend even more weight to the superiority of the Critical Texts -- basically Alexandrian.

20. JesusFan

Only thing ever heard close to that was when the Apostle seem to be using a majority of times while quoting OT references their version of choice, the LXX!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.