1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptistpress.com is concerned that a Christian will go on the Walmart.com website and type the term "gay" in the search engine and will get results.

Now I have a question for the folks at Baptistpress, and other groups/individuals, who are concerned about this.

Why?

Why would any Christian go on Walmart's website and type the term "gay", or any related term, in the search engine? Unless they are looking for homosexual material I can't understand why. So, why is this a problem?

Walmart is a secular, non-religious, company. They will sell products to whoever walks through their door. And those of you who have been to Walmart at night know this is true! :laugh: Walmart is not going to avoid selling products that interest homosexuals or any other group. Why not? Because they make money by selling these products. Therefore it does not surprise me in the least that Walmart sells pro-homosexual books in their online bookstore. Why should I be shocked? If it was Lifeway Christian Books, Salt Shaker Christian Books, or Christianbooks.com I would be shocked and outraged. But I am not going to get outraged by Walmart doing this.

I don't understand why some modern evangelicals think that we, the church, should be trying to make a bunch of lost people (and a secular organization) behave like Christians. It makes no Biblical sense. The New Testament does not call us to enact social reform, nor does it call us to try to make all the lost people around us act like Christians. In other words the New Testament does not call us to believe a modern Christian version of the Pharisees. What we are called to do is to preach the Gospel, disciple believers with the truth of God's Word, feed the poor, and help the oppressed. I can't help but taking note of the fact that many who are outraged at Walmart's actions are falling short in the areas of evangelism, discipleship, and charity. We need to realize that we are not going to change the world through protesting Walmart or Disney. We will only change the world through the mission Christ has given us to perform. Period.

If a person does not wish to shop at Walmart because of the fact that they sell pro-homosexual books, and anti-homosexual books, in their online bookstore then that is certainly their choice. However I would caution anyone who takes that position about the dangers of hypocrisy. If you are going to hold Walmart to that standard you need to also avoid shopping at places like Amazon, Books-A-Million, Barnes and Noble, etc, since they all carry such books. Also if a person refuses to shop at Walmart because it advertises to homosexuals then that person must also avoid every company that advertises its products to homosexuals.

Story from BP

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, why was my first thought too.
    If you go anywhere secular and type in or look for something 'gay' you will find it