1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

I am the director of my church food bank and I don't care WHO helps us! We don't allow anyone but a member of our church fill a leadership position, of course.

But maybe defining "fellowship" is a good idea after all. Scripturally, it is fellowship with believers only:

In the orthodox sense, we have no fellowship of the Spirit with anyone but the saved. However, we are to do good to all men (even the world) and so we are to represent His Truth, even to those who attend our services - it's an ouch for the pastor to condemn idol worship from the pulpit when you have Catholics in attendance. Pure teaching on the final sacrifice and the meaning of communion may give them pause to think about doctrine. If the pastor is uncompromising, many who are in opposition to the truth will flee and find a more comfortable church home - or they will be enlightened by the Holy Spirit and leave Rome (or any other cult in defiance of God's Word).

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, yes, wise words indeed! :thumbs:

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe there is a difference in working with someone and fellowshipping with them.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I couldn't agree more!!!! :thumbs:

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

You have a good eye of discernment BEREAN. They believe the same thing, in so many ways, as do all the main denominations, which include the Baptist. Some "straddle", or shall we say "fudge a little", which does NOT make one is Unsaved, but confused in their understanding of The Word of God.

As you look to be Berean in study I am probably not telling you anything new here. From my understanding both the church of Christ, and the Catholic church do believe every person must be "Water baptized" for remission of all their past sins, joining the "Kingdom Church",and continue confessing their sins, to hold on to Salvation. Why do I include the Baptist in my above remark? Do not most Baptists believe in the "so called Great Commission?" This is Pentecostal preaching, which came before Damascus Road. We today are in the Body of Christ Church, and were never promised this earth. We are of the heavenlies, as shown in Ephesians 1, 2, 3, and II Timothy 4:18.

I suppose human nature is at fault here for many embracing Catholic over church of Christ believers.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

"So called "Great Commission?"

Okay, let's call it something else: Scripture.

“And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15 NASB)

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello V. if you believe verse 15, then why do you not believe the verses that follow? The Catholic, and church of Christ believe what Jesus told His Apostles. Should we just pick and choose what we wish? The commission you quote is for those that were told to believe the gospel as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and His earthly Apostles. What do you make of Mark 1:4? (NAS)"John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
    Doesn't this gospel sound like Peter preached on the day of Pentecost to Gods chosen people, those He made Covenant with? (MNT)Acts 2:38, "Repent," answered Peter, "and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." This is what the "Great Commission" says, but as a Baptist, this is not how I have been placed into the Body of Christ Church. I am looking for the Rapture, and not inheriting the earth as promised only to those through Jacob (Israel).

It is not my intention to confuse you by quoting scripture that the Catholics, and church of Christ believe. I say Baptists believe the "GRACE Commission", as preached by Paul, that which he received from Christ Jesus in heaven. Ephesians 2:8-9, " For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, {it is} the gift of God;
    9. not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." This is how we today are justified, and that is through faith. This tells us HOW We Are Saved, and Acts 16:31 tells us WHAT we must believe to be saved -- "They said, Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is a good comment on what fellowship is. I agree that we seem to have forgotten what the Reformation was about. This is due imo partly to the influence of the emerging church (some of whom are quite enraptured with the Catholic mystics and with some of their practices), a more mystical movement among evangelicals, and diminishing the differences by some evangelical leaders/spokespeople.

#28 Marcia, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  9. Victorious

Victorious Member

Sorry, I don't know where you are coming from. Really don't.

The scripture I quoted tells is all. You start with the true gospel and go out preaching it, making disciples and then baptizing them. Why complicate something so simple? You brought a charge against the Baptist's view of the Great Commission. I answered. Maybe others have other opinions.

#29 Victorious, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I quoted scripture, and asked why do you only believe verse 15, but not scriptures that follow?

The "great commission" is contained in the last chapter of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. The 'great commission" is not One Verse.

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

Okay. I guess my understanding is limited to the text. I assume it means to go into all the world and preach the true gospel, making disciples and baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

If you are taking the Dave Hunt stand that repentance is not inherent in the gospel, I think you are very mistaken. At that, I must do my reading. Thanks for the interesting comment.

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Appreciate your reply so much. I totally agree with what you see in the One verse, and it means what you say. But since you believe verse 15, doesn't it follow that you must also believe verses 16-17, and what continues. "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
    17. "These signs will accompany those who have believed:…".

As to Hunt, I cannot speak for others, but all Christians know that repentance is essential. When we "find Him" He is our Repentance. When we "turn to Him", our Repentance is complete as found in Romans 3:24-31, "being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
    25. whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. {This was} to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed;
    26. for the demonstration, {I say,} of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
    27. Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.
    28. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
    29. Or is God {the God} of Jews only? Is He not {the God} of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,
    30. since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one.
    31. Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

In studying His Word I believe you will find it was impossible to be justified through faith, as one lived, before Damascus Road.