1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wicca is the fastest growing religion in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by TheBibleSender, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, I did read this somewhere. Not too surprising. There have been Diana and Isis worshippers for awhile in Europe and in the U.S.

You can go to YouTube and there is a video homage to the goddess with a chant that repeats the names of several goddesses (Isis, Diana, Kali, etc.) over and over.

Thanks for the link - I'll look at it!

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isn't Kali supposed to be the representative of Evil in Hinduism?

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, yes and no. They don't see evil the way Christians see it or even as people in the West see it. They see what we call evil is necessary destruction (this is similar in fact to Wicca).

Kali, among other things, represents destroying illusion (maya). So her necklace of skulls and blood dripping knife are a metaphor for those who do not like the violent image she really is. However, at one time there were bands of Kali worshippers who attacked travelers and sometimes practiced cannibalism.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, I think I saw that on Gunga Din.

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My coworker and his wife consider themselves both Gnostic priests and Wiccan priests. Every Saturday night has his "church service" live over the internet for any who would like to participate. He also puts out a podcast every week, and his Gnostic "bishop" is very pleased with his "ministry."

At some ponit in his life he was on his way to becoming an Episcopal priest, but got sidetracked.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gnostic as in the sence of having a secret knowledge that transends the material world in both physics and Morals?

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that sums it up.
    Doesn't scare me - greater is He that is in me, than he who is in the world.
    They also refer to themselves as pagans.

#27 Debby in Philly, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Many Wiccans blend their beliefs with other beliefs like (neo)Gnosticism. So you have today Goth Wiccans and even a growing number of Christian Wiccans (though they are not really Christians, but may be found in some churches).

Btw, all Wiccans are Pagans (Neopagans) but not all Pagans are Wiccans. Wicca is a subset of Neopaganism, along with Druidry, Odinism, and other groups.

Btw, Debby in Philly, I just realized you must be in Philadelphia. I'll be speaking near Philadelphia (Springfield) on Oct. 29 at Berean Bible Chapel, Lord willing. Scroll down and you'll see my photo:
    http://www.bereanbiblechapel.org/upcomingevents.htm

I will be speaking on the occult and will probably address Wicca. You are welcome to come!

If you guys ever want me to speak at your church on this topic, let me know! This is what I do in my ministry (though I need expenses paid).