1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Widows 1Timothy 5:3

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Do any of you, that are deeply involved in your Church (Pastor or Deacon), handle issues that relate to 1Timothy 5:3?

Do you have widows in this category of Biblical care?

If so, what kind of programs do you have to meet her needs?

Is the Church justified to let the government take care of her needs?

#1 Palatka51, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I am not a pastor or a deacon, but my pastor taught on this very subject this past Sunday.

He said that if the church were doing its job as the bible says it should, that we wouldnt need any government help.

And, when he says something like that, he means it. He was married when his mother died, and he had 2 young brothers, I think one was grade school age, and the other was jr high, and he took them in and raised them himself. They are grown now with families of their own.

Today, he has a one year old, and a 5 month old that he has adopted. Both kids are half black, and their mother is his neice. She is a crack head and cant raise them, so he took them in as his own. Out of 4 kids he has, only one is actually his,

When he says that we should take care of our widows, he means it, and he shows it by the way he takes care of these kids.

I was recently reunited with my church family here, and I am very ashamed in that some of the older women have shown me that they really care about me and my family, and that I should have never left here 6 years ago. I cant imagine just letting these caring souls dissappear into the government system of SS and neglecting them.

I havent been a person that actually did anything for much of anybody in the past, but I told my pastor this past Sunday, that I am available to do any kind of work that these older ladies need done for free. There is no way I would let them pay to have someone fix their heater, plumbing or anything else when I am willing and able to do it.

My offer of help isnt much, but right now it is all I have to offer.

And yes, we need to take care of our widows. It is a disgrace not to.

AJ

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The church should help where she needs it. But the government is really taking care of her per se, in these days. SS is something that was paid into with the promise of payment upon retirement. It is a (very bad) investment. But it isn't really the government giving her a handout.

So both are acceptable.