1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will a Christian commit certain sins?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all respect, Amy, I believe you are confusing salvation and service. And a person can attempt to be or even be a disciple, as Judas was, without being saved in the first place. For salvation is a gift and is Absolutely Free!. Service is extremely costly, and in fact one who has "the free gift" is never said to automatically follow in discipleship, at least nowhere I have seen in Scripture.

Merely because one does not "reject", but in fact has 'received', does not lead to the conclusion that one will necessarily "follow", else there would be no need for the commands and admonitions to follow. And there certainly seem to be many of those in Scripture.

But In My 'not so humble' Opinion, until once gets the basic gist of Romans 4, and understands and grasps how 'Godly' Lot can be the Biblical "saint of saints" one will, unfortuantely, not ever get this.

Ed

#341 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  2. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Bro. Bob,

I know the lists... my point was, are we bound specifically to the lists for these "sins unto death?" To use your own statement, "His grace...is teaching us what ungodliness is..." If I need to be taught what ungodliness is as a believer then that means I am still capable of committing such ungodly deeds in the flesh.

Max

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

If those lists are the sins unto death, what sins are left for Christians to commit?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Is there a difference between "the knowledge of the Lord and Savior" in II Peter 2:22 and the "knowledge of the Lord and Savior" in II Pet. 3:18? Looks like the very same words to me! Or are Peter and the Holy Spirit somehow the ones confused, here, in your opinion? :confused:

Ed

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No Sir;
    you are bound to the heart, for if you been "born again" He said "My Grace is sufficient to keep thee" and "for your temptation, I will make a way for your escape.

Also, the scripture I quoted that the Grace of God which bringeth Salvation hath appeared unto all men, teaching us to deny ungodliness. (how could it teach us to deny ungodliness, if it didn't teach us what ungodliness is).
    I truly believe every saved person is kept by the power of God.

We are different people and if not then Jesus died in vain.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Just show me from the bible how you know that the kingdom of God/Heaven is 'heaven' and not God's kingdom on earth during the millennium.

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Judas was not a follower of Christ in the sense of true Discipleship. His heart was far from Him.

Jesus spoke of a people who worshiped Him with their lips but their hearts were far from Him.

Judas, on more than one occasion showed where his heart truly was, but the eleven did not pick up on it. He was a wolf in sheep's clothing... there amongst them, but not truly of them.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Aside from one indirect quote from Ecclesiastes, here, I suggest that the rest of this post is seriously lacking in Scriptural statements to the effect of your conclusions.

Ed

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Just show me from the bible how you know that the kingdom of God/Heaven is 'heaven' and not God's kingdom on earth during the millennium.

Off Topic

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Jesus and the Holy Spirit called Judas a disciple. What they did not call him was a believer or one who was saved. In fact Jesus said he was lost, and called that disciple "the son of perdition".

Ed

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

NO, Ed. Neither is confused. Peter in the previous chapter is speaking of false prophets who know about the Savior but do not truly know Him. They reject that one they have learned about.

In chapter 3, Peter is admonishing the saints (those who are saved), to grow in that knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. They are to allow the Word to strengthen, stablish, and settle them. When the Word revals something to be sin in a believer's life (and it will), that one should get rid of that sin... thereby, allowing growth.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I'm still waiting for two things. The adpption, to wit, the redemption of my body, number one. And secondly, a Biblical basis for deciding which sins are "sins unto death".

I know there is such 'a sin unto death', since Scripture says so, but I find no Scripture to tell me which one or ones they are.

Ed

#352 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
  13. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

This seems to be pointless, but I will give it one more try...

Was Peter saved during the following account given by Paul in Galatians...

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
    Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
    Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
    Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
    Gal 2:15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
    Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
    Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
    Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
    I can think of no greater sin that a Believer could commit than that which Peter did here...Deception/stumblingblock to destroy the faith of some/living in such a way that your life is preaching a false gospel.

If Peter would have died before Paul rebuked him and he had a chance to repent...according to you...he would have gone to hell?????

Max

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good post. Peter was certainly saved, here, and this occurred many years after Pentecost, so he was certainly indwelt with the Holy Spirit, as well.

Ed

#354 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

These are your words and hope you are not accusing Peter of being a false prophet.

What a waste of time for me to go through what you have posted. Do you see any of the things listed where a person will not inherit the Kingdom of God?

I would never put my self in a position to judge one of the Apostles that was not judged according to the scriptures such as Judas.

I will give you this though. I believe that Peter was part of the foundation of the Kingdom and that puts him in Heaven. So, I guess you have my answer.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So you are going to argue that because 1Cor 6 says such and such sins keep you from inheriting the kingdom of God, that means such sinners are unsaved... but to discuss the definition of inheriting the kingdom of God is off topic? Seems relevant to me...

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

Max,

I cannot find where Paul said Peter sinned, only that he needed to practice what he preached.

It does not say Peter denied the gospel.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So whatever sin Peter sinned, it wasn't unto death.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

The Millenial Kingdom and the Kingdom of God are two different Kingdoms.

The Kingdom of God/Heaven is eternal. The Millenial Kingdom is only 1000 years.

If one does not inherit the Kingdom of God, it is because that one was not one of God's. That one misses heaven. Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.