1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will Baptist Doctrines Monopolize Heaven?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's my namesake. I like a good laugh.:smilewinkgrin:

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They will come down the chimney.

HankD

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course it will. There will be a Department of Pot Lucks, Department of Gossip, Department of Prohibition, Department to Cut Off Legs if Caught Dancing, Department to Burn Lottery Tickets, Department to Call Off Church if It Rains.............

Seriously, I have doubts when we get to Glory, if the question will cross our minds. When we see the King of Kings, I doubt we will care.

In our present existence, I suppose it would be interesting which of the hundreds of denominations is closest to what the Lord would have. I believe it to be Baptist, or I would not be one. This fact I know. Jesus Christ left us with one church. In 2000 years, we as brilliant human beings have managed to split that into hundreds of denominations, and thousands of subgroups. I was looking through a book of denominations the other day, and this is no joke, there is one called Seventh Day Adventist Baptists. I think the Episcopal-Methodist is a cute one.

I look at things from a Baptist viewpoint. I consider the most dangerous "Christian" groups or denominations to the work of the Lord the RCC, Church of Christ, Pentecostal, Holiness, Greek Orthodox, Charismatic, and certain non denominational churches. Mormons, JWs and the like are not churches of any type but cults.

If I was traveling and could not find a Baptist church, I would look for in order, a Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, and Episcopal lastly.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yi4NAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA21

"Do you think, dear brethren, there would be so many sects among Christians if all believers honestly wanted to know the truth and to know Christ's will? I do not think there would be. I canuot think our Lord has written a book so doubtful and ambiguous in its expressions that men need differ in interpreting it upon plain points. I am afraid we bring prejudice to it, the prejudice of our constitutional temperament, or of our parents, or of the church with which we are associated, and we pay reverence to somebody else's book, perhaps a catechism, perhaps the Book of Common Prayer, over and beyond the Bible itself. Now, this is all wrong, and we must purge ourselves of it and come to the word of God itself: and, when we come to this book, it must be candidly and humbly, with this feeling, " I desire now to unlearn the most precious doctrine or practice I have ever learned if the Lord will show me that it is inconsistent with his will; and I desire to learn that truth which will bring me most into derision, or that ordinance which will submit me to the greatest inconvenience, if it is his will, for I am his servant, and I desire nothing to support my own opinion, or to be my own rule." I think we shall all get pretty near together, if, in the Spirit of God, we begin reading our Bibles in this way. Surely the Lord expects this of us. I do not think he expects this of some professors, for certainly he will never get it; they are quite satisfied to say, " I attend my parish church, and that is the faith of our church;" or, "My grandmother joined the Dissenters, and, therefore, I keep to to them; and besides, after all, you know there are no sects in heaven." That last assertion is one of the most shallow pretences ever designed on earth, to excuse men from being scrupulously obedient to every word of their Lord and Master, I do not doubt, O disciple, but what you will reach heaven, even though you mistake some of the Master's teaching, but I do doubt your ever reaching there if you wilfully despise his words, or decline to learn what he came to teach."

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you better now...

...I think you lean towards the more liturgical way of worship! Probably, one reason you shy from the AOG, charismatic is due to your deep-seated need for a more structured form of worship and service order!

I love this forum because I truly get to know those I have friended and love, a lot better with each comment I read!

God bless SN, and may He keep, comfort and strengthen you daily! :praying:

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just contradicted yourself. There is no such thing as "the Baptist denomination". Baptists are split into hundreds of different factions. A Free-will Baptist and Reformed Baptist for instance, are worlds apart. So all these Baptists groups are-in-fact denominations.

8. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if the Lord will give men what they believe. If a person stands before him and has always believed that a saved person could loose their salvation He might just say, according to your faith so be it unto you. He will show that person how a child of God backslides daily trying to keep himself and he will tell that person you are a backslider because you tried to keep yourself, and then place him on the left.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    -

Negative - well actually it depends on which defenition of denomination you are using.

The first means hierarchy- which for the most part would exclude Baptists. ( For example - Free will baptist at least in one association have agreed to defer ordination to the association)

The seconnd meaning is a common belief.
    Since most Baptists believe in the acrostic B-A-P-T-I-S-T - that would make a (non-hierarchy) denomination. Even Independent Fundamental Baptists are a denomination!

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

No offense, RD2, but I think this is a silly question. No denomination will dominate heaven because there are no denominations in heaven. 'Nuf said.