1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Boise blow up BCS?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Oct 3, 2009.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The author is confused. If Cincinnati finishes unbeaten, they go to the BCS as the Big East champ. Big East champ goes automatically.

As far as an unbeaten Boise St., are they better than a one-loss Bama, Fla, Ohio St, etc? We'll never know until they settle it on the field.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the Big East champion goes to a BCS bowl game, but not necessarily the BCS Championship Game. The Big East is as lowly regarded as the Mountain West and the WAC. If Cincinnati makes the BCS Championship Game this season it would raise as much of an outcry as if Boise State makes it.

However, it would be interesting to see what would happen to a Boise State or a Utah level team if they played in a BCS bowl game, such as the Championship Game, against a team that was playing for all the marbles instead of against an Oklahoma or an Alabama team that was disappointed to be playing in a bowl other than the Championship Game.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think Okla was "disappointed" to be in the Fiesta the way ALA was to be in the Sugar last year. Bama got manhandled in that game, pure and simple. I loved it :laugh:

I don't agree that the Big East is regarded down with the WAC/MWC. The Big East traditionally plays some of the big boys. Cincy plays Pac Ten and Big Ten opponets. WVA has played SEC teams. So has Louisville and SYR. MWC and WAC teams tend to play each other and that's about it. When your conference is filled with the LA Techs and Utah States, you can't honestly expect to be taken as seriously as other schools from the big conferences unless and untill you play some of these other schools from the big conferences and beat them in the regular season. Boise does not have to play a UC Davis. Why not go to Knoxville, Columbus, Gainesville, or Norman? Make a trip to Fayetteville, College Station, or Ann Arbor. Of course, Boise is proving you don't have to necessarily do that to get in the top 5.

Should Cincy get to the BCS title game, I don't think there would be as much of an outcry if Boise got there. After all, like it or not, the Big East is a BCS conference. The Big East has had someone in the title game before. Why not again? I just think too much is made about going undefeated. That's looked on as the gold standard, and if that's the case, then you have to start evaluating the schedule. The moment you do that, you raise the spector of a one-loss super major being better than an unbeaten MWC or WAC team, and now the debate begins.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Boise State or Cincinnati makes it to the BCS Championship Game they will get absolutely embarrassed.