1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Butch Davis Turn Around UNC?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 29, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Well, he couldn't hurt. They were somewhat up and coming a few years back before Coach Mac left for Texas.
    Plus, with the recent downfall of Miami and FSU, it really opens the door for some of these other schools to finally step up.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turn what around? They've never really had but one path.

Can he make UNC a winner much less an elite program? Probably not but if he can then you can call him the greatest college coach of all time. Carolina is about b-ball... and most of their fans and supporters will tell you that.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Davis is an incredible recruiter and should be able to get a lot of kids (especially Florida kids) to come up to UNC. The knock against Butch is that he is not always a great game day coach. If he can get some great assistants to join him, he should be able to get that program finally turned on.

With the ACC in a down year, he is in a perfect position right now. But don't expect VTech, FSU, Miami, and Clemson to continue to fade. My guess is that they will be up and running next year.

5. Harrill

Harrill New Member

Gotta get better , now let's talk about Roy's younguns . Hope that don't offend
    the Ohio brethren .

[​IMG]

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it was a great move by UNC to get him before all the other schools came open. It has plenty of money, plenty of talent around them and with much of the recuiting done during basketball season....well everyone loves winners!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He'll probably turn them around the same way he turned the Browns around...

He should have waited. He could have had his old Miami job back...the one where he promised he wouldn't be leaving to go to the NFL, and then being named head coach of the Browns less than a week later.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Given that history, I don't think he was high on the list at the U anyway.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No way Butch was going back to the U. No way.
    Stood a better chance of landing in Tuscaloosa.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nah...all four of the Ohio State basketball fans are busy doing something else right now :)

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There will be quite a bit more when they hoist the national championship trophy :thumbsup:

OSU could very well win the championship in football and basketball this year.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like OSU's chances and love OSU's coach (I like anyone who coached at Xavier). Glad you have an interest in OSU basketball. I haven't found too many of my Buckeye friends who do. I hope to be there when OSU visits Thompson-Boling when you play the Vols. I'll be there with about 25,000 of my friends :)

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pete Carrol seemed to do ok coming from the NFL back to college. They are different animals...at the college level the coach is king. At the NFL level, they are a piece of a many pieced puzzle. Besides, what have the Browns done since Butch left? Seems to me the problem isn't the coaching!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is inaccurate. Although the problems began with Policy, tell me how many draft picks are on the current Browns due to Davis' drafts? Look at some of the great decisions he has made with our picks...Gerard Warren over Ladanian Tomlinson, Quincy Morgan over Steve Smith...

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is inaccurate? The Browns are a good team all of a sudden? They are a bad expansion team, with a lousy front office. There are no guarantees in drafts sometimes you get a Bernie Kosar and then sometimes you get a Tim Couch. Butch is a solid coach who will do very well a North Carolina.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is inaccurate is Butch Davis being a good evaluator of talent and a good coach. I watched him "coach" (I use that term loosely) for three years. Doesn't have an offensive strategy...game plans stink...no half time adjustments...defending "his" players at all cost to avoid admitting mistakes in drafts (calling the play of Warren "outstanding" after getting a grand total of...get this...0 tackles). What else do you want? His idea of getting a first down is to cut off all patterns 1 - 2 yards shy and cross your fingers, or on 3 and 1, throw the ball out of the stadium. The scouting done at Miami was done by his top assistant Garcia, not him, BTW. It will be interesting now that Garcia is no longer his right hand man to see how recruiting goes.

#16 webdog, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess he has everyone in college football fooled then. Sounds like you should be coaching the team.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same people in college football who cannot come to a simple playoff system, and rely on computers to tell us who the top teams are? Wow, must be tough to fool them... ;)

I'd coach the team for half what they are giving him :)

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Just everybody at UNC. :smilewinkgrin:

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, the coaches have nothing to do with the playoff, that is the presidents and the piles and piles of money TV is willing to give out. I think most coaches want a playoff...the pressure of having to win every game must be amazing.

You could schedule better games without worrying about being out of the title hunt in week two.

Right now I could make the case that UNC is a better job then Bama (mostly TIC)

1. Low expectations for new coach
    2. No Bear (dead for 20 years) Bryant legacy
    3. Only a matter of time before boaster get your program in trouble at Bama
    4. Don't have to play in the killer SEC
    5. Don't have to live in Alabama