1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will christians be punished for bad deeds?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 9, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Almost sounds this way...

2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

:confused:

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Lk:12:47: And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    Lk:12:48: But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Eh?
    But I thought that Jesus suffered for us. Does this mean that I have to fear getting punished by God? :eek::eek::eek:
    Great, this really builds me up. :tear:

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, your "punishment", if any, will be the loss of rewards that you could have received. Don't worry about it. Eternity with Jesus awaits all those who believe. That ain't no punishment.

Believe it! :godisgood:

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But Jesus said they receive stripes he did not say they miss rewards. :(

when you read such verses how can you not become scared of God? this makes me think that God is up there being angry at me. :(
    what if God is totally unsatisfied with me? this way I can always be worried and scared that God is angry but this doesnt motivate me to do things for God. This fear only paralyzes me. When you're scared of God then you're not motivated to do anything, it's just like in the parable of the lazy servant who feared God and didn't do anything. But it's really like this. When you're scared of God then you're not motivated to do anything. I don't want to be scared but when I read such verses I automatically become scared and it sounds like being scared of God is something which makes God even more angry this means that it's a vicious circle. When I become scared of God because I fear that he might be unsatisfied then he'll be angry at me because I became scared of him and this means that even if he was not unsatisfied then he's at least angry now where I became scared of him. Boy, this stuff can really make you become totally paranoid... :(

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well use your head. This applies to those who are not saved. You dont listen, stop living by fear, start concentrating on loving God. I dont know what church you go to but they must be preaching hellfire and damnation every Sunday or something.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Ah this is the way modern day Christendom would have us believe. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow eternity begins and it doesn't matter how you live your life because you will get your piece of the pie and live happily ever after. Unfortunately this just doesn't have any Scriptural foundation to it. It's a nice pie in the sky saying, but it doesn't have root. It's a belief built on the sand instead of the Solid Rock.

xdisciplex most people see the warnings given to us in Scripture as punishment, but it is really discipline. We can either take our discipline now or we can take it in the coming age (by the way eternity is not what awaits us on the timeline).

When I was little and I got in trouble I thought it was punishment at the time, but now I realize it was discipline. My parents were punishing me, but trying to make me better.

And yes the Bible says we will be rewarded for what we have done good or bad. If we have sown to the Spirit we will reap life. But if we have sown to the flesh we will reap corruption.

The Bible also talks about suffering loss. Most of Christendom would have us believe that just means we will not receive the rewards that we could have had, but that's not what loss means. Loss means you lose something that you are in possession of. You and I or no one else for that matter is currently in possession of rewards, so we are in no position to lose them.

The Bible talks several places about the loss of one's soul. That is in fact what will be suffered at the JSOC is the loss of one's soul, which has to do with the coming kingdom of Christ.

Brother it is good that you are starting to see some of these things. The Word is being planted and now you have one of four options. You can allow the bird to come and steal it away. You can allow the cares of this world to choke it out. You can allow persecution to make you quit studying it, or you can allow it to grow and produce fruit!

I pray God will continue to have mercy on your eyes and ears. By the way the study material that I PMed you sometime back will really help you in this matter. If you need me to I can PM you again.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Who says this? Isn't a servant somebody who knows his master?
    To me this sounds like this verse is about christians which didn't do God's will or didn't do enough and then God punishes them.I just went to sermonaudio.com and searched for sermons about this passage and there are many sermons which deal with punishment but I don't even want to hear them, they would most likely scare me even more.
    I don't know, where is the sense of reading the bible when it only makes you feel worse? I always come across such scary verses and then I become scared of God and feel totally alienated from him. This doesn't help me. I dont get it. I have heard the very same preacher say in different sermons that God doesn't motivate us with punishment, he motivates us with love to serve him and then in another sermon about the lazy servant he warned all christians which only have 1 talent to use it because otherwise God will punish them. :confused:
    After listening to this sermon I was totally scared.

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well I'll tell you what, If God tells you to multiply your talents then do that. If He tells you whats going to happen if you dont, then get a lesson out of it and change your ways

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia, Claudia, Claudia . . . it's good to speak with you again by the way :) . . . there's nothing here that says this servant was unsaved. Unsaved folks can not know the Lord's will and that is the exact picture we get in this passage. He knew what God wanted him to do and he didn't do it.

This is speaking of saved folks. There are saved folks that know the Truth and don't abide by it and then there are those that should know the Truth, but they don't for whatever reason.

11. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, I urge you to ignore his post. No one I know, including me, believes the eat, drink and be merry baloney. We live for him who died for us. His post is utterly bogus. It is without merit or value. It serves only to confuse. You don't need that. At the same time, put Claudia on ignore, along with the other 7th dayers.

#11 dispen4ever, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  12. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

You've had this explained to you 1,111 times, xdx. I'd like for you to let me put you in touch with a couple of Christian counselors here in the USA.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Funny my post is full of "baloney" and "bogus," yet you give no Scripture to back up your stance. That's pretty typical.

So what happens to those Christians that don't live for Him who died on their behalf? Do they still "go to heaven" and enjoy eternity just like you that have "lived" for Him?

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Why would finding out the Truth make you feel worse? Discovering God's Truth, no matter how scary it might be, should be exciting. Yes there are some very tough issues to deal with, but that's why we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

God is Perfectly Holy and knowing that should allow fear to set in. And if it does then you are on your way to wisdom, because fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Don't run away from what is being revealed to you as you look into the Scriptures!

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ, JJ, JJ.... good to talk to you again, but LOOK at the verses just before it:

45: But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
    46: The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

16. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Please, can we focus on XD's question instead of re-addressing differences?

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

My first response was in regard to XD's question. The remark that I responded to made claims that are unsubstantiated opinions and need to be backed up with evidence or the poster needs to make it know that he is blowin' in the wind, because at stake is the answer to XD's question.

Not sure your post was profitable for anything?

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia that doesn't prove your point. That says let that servant have a portion "with" the unebelievers. It doesn't say that the servant was an unbeliever. It says that the servant is going to have a portion with the unbelievers.

We could go a little deeper on this particular subject if you want to PM me.

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

yeah he probably DOES need to put me on ignore because I'll tell him that if Jesus says stop doing something then maybe he ought to just stop doing it LOL! And I also will tell him that he needs to stop being scared of everything he reads in the Bible and start focusing on loving God..

wow well I can see why he ought to put me and the other "7th Dayers" on ignore, we're just terrible arent we?

geeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz :laugh:

Claudia

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Listen to dispen4ever, and not these others. He's telling truth and they are not.