1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Mark Foley Bring Down The Repulican Party

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mcdirector, Oct 8, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is in today's issue of Newsweek.com .

My question is: Would the Dems have handled the situation differently? Personally, I don't believe they would have. I think both parties are looking out only for their interests. I think most members of both parties will say or do anything to expedite their cause.

The rest of the article is here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15178112/site/newsweek/

To the side of the article is a photo gallery of Washington's sex scandals. It's a mmmmmmm trip down scandal lane :D

#1 mcdirector, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Both parties are looking out for their own interests. That is a very refreshing statement in light of all the other threads making republicans look better than democrats or vice versa. I think Paul lists the characteristics of both parties in Galatians 5:21, and like verses.

Both parties are out of control and beyond reform. The American people need to rid themselves of these two and start over. What we get couldnt be any worse. And as far as one or the other are going to win, baloney. There are enough people who havent registered, who have registered that dont vote, and those who do vote but are disguisted with both parties to beat both of them. The numbers are there, it is just leadership that is needed.

To give the Republicans a pass and keep them in power because the Democrats are so bad has very little merit. The Republicans have failed miserably to lead, and deserve to get thrashed at the polls. They failed to control the borders, they failed to reform social security and medicare, they failed to balance the budget, they failed to utilize the military in an effective manner in war, especially Iraq, they have constantly lied to the American people, and number one, they use the Gospel, the very essence of our faith, to get elected and wallow in their own self indulgent power. Power is more important than children to them.

Having said that, God have mercy on us when the Democrats win, and they will win, but the Republicans did it to themselves.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The only reason to vote for the democrats is that the republicans have become worse than the democrats.

But if you give the democrats a few years, that will change.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's time to give the Libertarians and Greens a chance. :)

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

You know Ken, we have a governor of Texas who is widely regarded as corrupt and a fool. Most people don't want him re-elected. But three people are running against him. And he has just enough people on his side, that he's likely to win, even with a small minority of votes (no runoff in Texas).

So do I vote for a libertarian, or find the one who has the most support, and vote for her, hoping that it will be enough to bring some semblance of competence and honesty to the Governor's office?

I don't know.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not aware of that. I don't keep up with Texas politics.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thatis because he's lying to you. Many people believe politicians in general are fools. Texas is no different.

The Governor of Texas(whom I personally don't care for) has not, to my knowledge , been accused of any corruption that is provable or prosecutable.

8. Vera Hammoudeh

Vera Hammoudeh New Member

Lets Hope So.

:type:
    Vera

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Why? (the subject heading, btw, was the title of the article in Newsweek and not my question)

What would the Democrats have done differently? Why should either party be in power?

10. Vera Hammoudeh

Vera Hammoudeh New Member

Plain & simple this world in my opionion was in alot better shape back when President Bill Clinton Was in Office. We had Jobs for people here that wanted to work, & now we don't. Yes he did wrong in is Personal life but in my eyes over all he did alot of good for this Country also, you may not agree & alot of others may not also. But i am sure that all of the Presidents have done the same as Clinton did, its just that they are better at hiding it then Clinton was.
    But over all i see that this Country was alot better place to live back then, then it is now.

:type:
    Vera

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The past behavior of democrats in similar circumstances tells us they would endorse the offender for re election and welcome him back with open arms if he won.:smilewinkgrin:

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well yes they have indeed.

At this point in my life, I don't see enough differences between the two parties (except perhaps for rhetoric) to chose between the two.

13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

You're judging the Democrats based on what they MIGHT have done under similar circumstances. That approach is alien to American jurusprudance. The Republicans did what they did to coverup Foley's escapades. That's what we have before us. If you want to introduce a similar situation that the Democrats actually were involved in that would be relevant.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't argue with that. As government has grown larger and larger since the mid-1960s starting with the presidency of LBJ things have gone downhill. During the term of the next president that will start on 1/20/2009 we will look back and say that this country was a lot better place to live in back then(during the present administration) than it is now(during the term of the next president).

Until we start reducing the size and reach of the federal government things won't improve.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm trying really hard to be fair here. In the past, the democrats have shown that they would have done the same thing the repulicans have done now. Neither party is very appealling IMHO.

#15 mcdirector, Oct 8, 2006
  16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

AMEN~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It is the nature of power to corrupt. The Republicans have had an unprecedented amount of power, due to theiir control of all three branches of government and the vast increase in executive power in the 2000s.

And so they have become particularly corrupt. Put democrats in such a position, and they would soon be as bad as the republicans have become.

The way back to America is to again strongly limit the ability of the government to intrude on us, and to hide from us. Bush's legacy is more power over the individual American, and more secrecy and corruption from secrecy.

That has to come to an end. It doesn't matter who does it, but it has to come to an end. I will vote for anyone who will put more interest in protecting our Constitutional rights than in gathering power.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

<snip>
    SOURCE

A little perspective maybe?

#18 poncho, Oct 8, 2006
  19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It is very sad to see Christians placing their pocketbook over character.

20. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

I agree, voting for your well-being over the character of leadership is very dangerous.

My question is this: the republicans blame this and the democrats blame that, but why don't we blame the people who put foley into office? Our problems are not necessarily caused by the leadership in congress and such but the people who placed them there.