1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will people burn in hell forever?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 23, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Some people argue that only satan and his demons will burn in hell forever and that the unbelievers will be destroyed in hell. This is what they call second death. The unbelievers stop to exist.
    What do you think about this? Does second death mean that they are simply annihilated or does second death mean that you burn in hell forever? :confused:

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey xdx,

What "some people" say isn't important. The important thing is "what does the Bible say."

Look up Revelation 20:11-15. This is a reference to the Great White Throne Judgement. This is the final judgement for all those who reject Christ as Savior. V.15 kind of makes it clear where they end up.

Hope this helps.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi! :)

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

These people will simply say that when they are cast into the lake of fire they are burnt and stop to exist.

Look at this:

Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

This sounds like only the beast, the false prophet and those which had received the mark end up in the lake of fire. But what about those which died before and did not receive the mark but were also unbelievers?

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

And this verse here sounds like only the devil,the beast and the false prophet will end up in the lake of fire where they are tortured forever.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone's physical body is going to be annihilated, as you say. We die. Our flesh decays.

Everyone's soul, that which makes you who you are, is immortal. And humanity will spend eternity in one of two places. Heaven or hell.

It's literally and fundamentally....just that simple. I don't know how else to explain it.

I do have a question for you. You got angry at me when I asked if you were a christian. You never answered me, but you got angry. Well, I won't ask you that anymore.

But I will ask you this. Where are you getting all of these questions? In other words, are you really that distrustful of God? Because that's how you are coming across.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions. But the type of questions you are asking and the frequency with which you are asking them just raises a red flag to me.

I worry about you. And I pray for you.

5. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This sounds like only the beast, the false prophet and those which had received the mark end up in the lake of fire. But what about those which died before and did not receive the mark but were also unbelievers?"

Everyone whose name is not found in the Book of Life will be there. This is a reference to all who reject Christ.

"And this verse here sounds like only the devil,the beast and the false prophet will end up in the lake of fire where they are tortured forever."

The word "only" isn't in that verse. This verse says that they will all be there together, and by what we're told in v.15, tall the lost will be there too.

My suggestion is that you pay less attention to what people say and more to what the bible says. Remember, look at the entire context of a passage.

6. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with what Scarlte O. says. Some of the questions I read from you don't seem to be coming from a follower of Christ looking for truth.

Since Scarlet O. won't ask you again, I will: Are you a Christian? Have you trusted Christ as your Savior? If not, I strongly encourage you to do so. Maybe then you will begin to udnerstand the Bible.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ scarlett

Why am I distrustful? Is it not even allowed to ask questions? What's distrustful about asking what the bible really means? Should I rather simply accept everything and not think about it? Would this be more trustful?

@ SBCPreacher

It's simply confusing when in one verses it says the devil,the beast and the false prophet and then in another verse also those which have the mark are also mentioned. This is pretty confusing. It's like here is a bit information and somewhere else is a bit information and then you have to put it all together. Why isn't everything directly mentioned in 1 verse?

8. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still haven't answered the question.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Why is everybody who asks extraordinary questions directly an unbeliever? :tear:
    Is it because a "real christian" would never ask such a question or is it because a "real christian" would not even dare asking such a question? When I have a question I simply ask it and don't think about how this question sounds like.
    And if I am not looking for truth I would not even ask questions. What sense would this make?

10. gekko

gekko New Member

SBCPreacher... he wouldn't be on this board if he wasnt a christian.

secondly. whats wrong with asking potiential questions that unbelievers may ask? maybe he's doing this so that he'll be ready "in season and out of season" ready to give an answer to some harder questions.

look a little deeper next time. surface searching wont help.

11. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gekko,
    Anyone could very easily be on this board and not be a Christian. If someone is searching for truth, that's great. I'm all for truth.

xdx,
    You still haven't answered the question.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

lol. and yet he still persists... some people's kids...

do you really believe he's not a christian?

13. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just wondering why a Believer wouldn't want others to know they're a Believer. I want everyone to know I am. What's wrong with with saying you're a Christian? Is there something about being a Christian to be ashamed of?

14. gekko

gekko New Member

typical answer.
    ---

can't you read between the easily read lines and notice upfront and clear that he's a christian?

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

These are exactly the things which I don't like.
    Many people do this and simply question wether you're a christian because you ask questions which they don't like or which they think are inappropriate for a real christian.
    And when you are asked often enough "Are you really a christian???? You sound like an unbeliever..... you do not sound like somebody who searches for truth....."
    Then you ask yourself "Am I even a christian? What if I am not even a christian?"

This is just great.....
    Ask somebody long enough if he really turned out the oven and you'll make him doubt his own senses.

16. gekko

gekko New Member

there ya go SBC... ya got your answer.
    ---

what i see this as... speaking about the OP... is that if people who are thrown into the lake of fire... if they ARE NOT going to burn forever... is that really a just punishment from God? wouldn't God be sparing some pain if they just dissappeared and burnt up?

God is a just God. and will judge righteously and accordingly. for those who have rejected God - they will suffer the consequences of eternal suffering in the lake of fire along side satan - whom they thought they could subtly or out frontly trust.

17. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Indeed, gekko.
    If the unbelievers simply were annihilated then it wouldn't be a big deal. They would simply stop to exist. Why should Jesus have done all of that simply to rescue humans from being annihilated? This makes no sense. Sure, they would miss heaven but once they are annihilated they won't miss heaven anymore because they don't exist anymore.

18. gekko

gekko New Member

yeah. and they probably wont miss hell anymore either... they wouldn't have to worry about hell... cause they dont even exist... hell does exist... but the people apparently wouldn't...

yeah... it wouldn't even be a big deal at all to go to hell... cause you'd just be annihalated all together...

haha. what an absurd thought.

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Indeed. But some christians believe this. I think maybe they want to believe this because they cannot bear the thought of God torturing people in hell for all eternity. This could be an explanation that this thought simply scares them.

20. gekko

gekko New Member

and it should scare them...

i believe people should be coming to Christ to flee from the wrath to come. righteousness will deliver us from that wrath.

i dont believe people should be coming to Christ for a better life.
    ---

if the facts dont scare us... im afraid at what would? what would we do in the day of judgement? when they find out that they'll have to suffer eternally... and not have the pleasure of being annihalated?
    ---

it seems this is a one sided "debate"... where are the others? haha.